“Honeymoon in New York”

Ranked #132 of 468 Hotels in New York City
cambridge
“Honeymoon in New York”
Reviewed 1 July 2010

We arrived at the hotel and were instantly upgraded to a deluxe suite on the 36th floor as we were on honeymoon, room was large well equipped and had fanatastic views, could not imagine a better panoramic view of the Empire State building, Chrysler building etc from the bedroom and all of downtown from the bathroom.

We were still admiring the views when a member of staff arrived with complementary champagne and chocolate covered strawberries to congratulate us on our wedding and to thank us for choosing to celebrate our honeymoon with the Trump Soho! The accompanying note asked that should we have any concerns or requests that we contact directly the duty manager. The only problem was that the stay was so pleasent that we never felt the need to try and enhance it.

From check in to check out everything was smooth and the staff were all extremely helpful and proffesional. A personal thanks has to go to the concierge staff Jennifer and Cullen, who seemed to instinctively know what we were after and helped secure us a number of grerat reservations at very short notice. That said, it was not just the concierge staff, but the door men, the housekeepers, and indeed everybody that we ran into at the hotel who made us feel very much at home.

To balance this review, a few negative issues may be that the pool was not yet ready, and the gym was still a temporary setup. That said, the pool for us would have only been a bonus, and with the amount there is to do in New york I'm pretty sure we would not have had time to use it anyway! I do imagine though that once all of these things are completed the hotel will be truly first class.

The only other thing to mention is the area, we initially picked the hotel, and didn't really think about the area, but having stayed in Soho and visited both up and downtown from there, we came to the conclusion that the area, at least for us, was the ideal base, with great restaurants, bars, shops and sights right around the corner, and the rest of New York, a short stroll or subway ride away.

All in all a great hotel in a great city, glad we chose both for our honeymoon, and hope we will stay again in the future.

1 Thank sco
TrumpS0H0NYC, General Manager at Trump SoHo New York, responded to this review, 9 July 2010
Dear Sco,

It sounds like you enjoyed a wonderful honeymoon with us at Trump SoHo New York, and I am pleased to know that we enhanced your stay in this manner. I must say I am very proud of the staff we have hired and it makes me happy to know that every aspect of your stay was executed with such attention to secure what ultimately resulted in your pleasant stay. I will certainly let Jenifer and Cullen know of your gratitude as well as the rest of our team encountered during your time with us.

We look forward to welcoming you back for your anniversary or sooner!

Kind regards,
David Chase

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (824)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 June 2010

I stayed in a deluxe one-bed corner suite on the 37th floor, and would thoroughly recommend this hotel. The views (particularly from the higher floors) are amazing, and the hotel itself is situated in a good area - close to lots of shops and bars. Despite that, the room I stayed in was very quiet and I had a completely undisturbed night sleeping in a wonderfully comfortable bed.

I ordered room service one evening and the food was quite exceptional - much better than the usual in-room dining stuff one usually gets. It wasn't cheap though, and you should be prepared to pay a high price for any extras you choose when staying here (for example - you have to pay $15 per 24hrs for wi-fi connection!).

As others have pointed out, the hotel is still being finished, so the pool and spa were not operational at the time I stayed. That didn't bother me too much, and there didn't appear to be any noise or disturbance from the work being completed.

All in all, I would certainly recommend this hotel, but don't come here if you're counting your pennies, as your final bill will end up being more than you may have budgeted for.

2 Thank RobertDawes
TrumpS0H0NYC, General Manager at Trump SoHo New York, responded to this review, 1 July 2010
Dear BKHLD,

Thank you for recommending Trump SoHo. I must agree that the views from the 37th floor are one-of-a-kind! Being that high up does also allow for peaceful sleeping, especially after a pleasant in room dining experience.

We hope to welcome you back in the near future.

David Chase.
Vienna, Austria
Reviewed 25 June 2010

The Trump Soho in my opinion is a so/so experience: It is brand new, the location is superb but there are some drawbacks: We got assigned a room on the 10th floor, which is definitely too low for the right experience - the room is rather dark as the surrounding buildings are much taller - for sure this gets better the higher you move up - so make sure to ask for a room as high as possible. We were staying a deluxe king room - the room itself is just fine, however the bathrooms are not particularly well designed - the water is running from the shower into the room due to design flaws ...
In the first night we came back to the hotel late and where quite astonished to find a roll-away bed in our room - as we were travelling as two partners, we of course did not request such bed. It turned out, they put it in the wrong room. Mistakes can happen, so there is not too much fuzz about that, but what weights higher than that is the fact that we had to call them twice to get the bed removed as from the first call nothing happened within 15 minutes.
The restaurant offers okay food and so/so service - the probem there though is the aircondition which blows very strongly and very coldly from up above - we had to move table for fear of catching a cold.
Last but not least - and this leads to our value for money concerns - the price would probably be okay if the Spa and the pool were in operation. This however was not the case as they are obviously still working on the finalization of these areas - nobody told us when we booked the hotel and they are advertising a pool and a spa on their homepage. So we were quite disappointed not to be able to use those - quite important - parts of the hotel and hence believe the price is too high compared to other hotels which offer such amenities in the area.

1 Thank HamVienna
Dear HamVienna,

Thank you for your candid feedback regarding your recent stay. I would like to extend my sincere apologies for the inconsistencies experienced during your stay. I am sorry that you were not aware that our spa would not be available during your visit. I know that our Attaché team has been making it a point to contact every guest prior to arrival to extend all of the proper information regarding the spa, fitness center and pool. I am sorry if for some reason you did not receive that call or email. I am also sorry that you did not notice this information on our homepage.

Thank you once again and we hope to welcome you back to Trump SoHo.

Kind Regards,
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 23 June 2010

Had a great stay at the Trump Soho hotel, beautiful design and decor. The staff were absolutely excellent. No attitude, very friendly, professional and knowledgeable. Definitely 5 star service hotel. Found the high tech stuff a little confusing, maybe a little guide as to how to use all the cool gadgets would be helpful. Loved the place, can't wait to return.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
I must thank you for your kind words regarding our staff. Hiring the right team is a priority of mine, and it pleases me to know our guests feel this when they stay with us.

In regards to our high tech in room system, we are looking into ways to provide our guests with instructions.

Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 23 June 2010

hello my name is kiki, myself and my family(3 year old and 8 month old) just returned home a 5 night stay at the trump soho in a premier 1 bedroom corner unit (2809). we also had another king deluxe room(1504) for other family members (adult and 6 year old) that were traveling with us. i was there doing business and then stayed for leisure.

We could not have been more pleased! From the moment my reservation was made i felt so taken care of, even before arrival i received several emails form the hotel manager David as well as the attache department reaching out to see if there was anything they could do to assist us or see if we had any special requests. i am glad as they went out of there way to assure us of our welcoming.
i would advise anyone interested in staying here to become a member of the leaders club which offers its members special non advertised benefits such as upgrade and allows you to customize special requests, and they listen. (they provided us with extra pillows as well as a beautiful fruit plate upon arrival, a category upgrade and early check-in and late check-out) a crib was already set up along with welcoming gifts for the kids when we entered the room. the attache dept. set up a playstation 3 and provide the kids with games. t
when we arrived we were greeted out front by the bellman(Elvis and Mike), both whom were pleasant and assisted us in feeling at home the entire visit by providing us with friendly, helpful service.(graciously helped with our 2 strollers and any other information we needed. they were very knowledgeable.
Oscar at the front desk as well as the ladies were so kind. welcoming and professional.
Frank(operator) was very functioning and resourceful for us.
The rooms are beautiful with clear views (we had an unobstructed view of all things north of the hotel including a spectacular view of the empire state building and city skyline) the furniture was modern but still felt warm and cozy. if you are in to high tech you will love this as one remote can control lights, curtains, television, etc) the beds were so comfortable i didn't miss my tempur pedic!!
the housekeeping staff has kept the room so clean i felt comfortable in letting my 8 month old crawl on the floor (which is a rare fete for me). it even felt clean enough to walk barefoot. :) housekeeping accommodated every request (extra towels, toothbrush and even a late night vacuuming) happily and promptly.
the room service food was excellent! even though there are great restaurants (mr. chow, nobu, bubby's in near walking distance i preferred to order in and enjoy the wonderful food, in which each time the chef would send up an extra culinary surprise to be sampled.
the delivery persons from room service even assisted in making us feel comfortable.(although the kids menu includes a beverage and fruit or chips i still find it a bit pricey at $15 for a hot dog or turkey sandwich) there is also a $7.50 mandatory delivery charge) so order lots to justify the fee ;)
the hotel is in walking distance to basically any place you would need.
the only disappointment was that the pool and spa were still being finished and not ready until end of july. (i was told on the last day that we could have been provided passes to a pool and health club nearby free of charge)
i travel to ny monthly and have been a loyal customer to the trump columbus circle for many years and think i finally may have found a hotel that compares to their quality of service. God willing we will be staying there again on our future trips.
so if you are looking for a friendly staff, cleanliness, convenience and all around 5 star service, look no further. i wish i could remember the name of the housekeeping staff and other ladies at the front desk as well as the 2 other bellman as they all made this the best trip i have taken to new york. thank you, thank you thank you trump soho staff!!!!!!!
kiki

1 Thank truesizetwo
Dear Truesizetwo,

I am so thrilled to hear of your stay with us. It pleases me very much to know that our staff met your needs in every aspect of your stay. I will certainly communicate to the team how happy you were with all details “from booking until you depart!”

I am extremely proud of our employees and it makes my day when I receive enthusiastic feedback from our guests regarding the excellent level of service they received while staying with us.

Please come back soon, we look forward to welcoming you back to Trump SoHo.

Kind regards,
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 21 June 2010

Fantastic and very gracious staff. Beautiful decor and large rooms for New York. Great beds! Love the high-tech rooms (husband and I are kinda of geeks for that stuff), but could see how it could be confusing to some. I think this place will be amazing when it is done. My only downside was arriving to find out that neither the pool nor the spa was open yet. This was not clear on the website from which I made the reservation. I also was disappointed that our room was not the floor plan advertised for a "Deluxe" guest room (ours was smaller). While we paid for the "Deluxe" so that we could be on a higher floor; we were placed on the 21st floor (the lowest floor on which we could be and still be considered "deluxe") With the missing amenities (pool and spa) I would have expected them to make it up a little by at least giving us a better room within the same grade. I didn't need an upgrade, just not the least they could give us.

Overall though...fantastic place. I look forward to making this our New York home away from home and visiting the spa when I come back.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
TrumpS0H0NYC, General Manager at Trump SoHo New York, responded to this review, 25 June 2010
Dear CalHobbes,

Thank you for your feedback. I am sorry that you did not notice our Summer 2010 spa and pool opening date on the website. We make an effort to notify our incoming guests that the services are not yet available, but I will make sure that this is more visible on our site (David, I just put it on the home page FYI). Regarding the rooms, not all suites are the same size and we state that on the website as well.

I am glad that you enjoyed your stay and am honored that you have chosen us as your home away from home.

We look forward to welcoming you back home very soon.

David Chase, General Manager
NH
Reviewed 21 June 2010

I stayed at this hotel for a conference. Wow it is gorgeous!
Best assets of the room:
-totally brand new and modern decor
-huge bathroom with a rain showerhead and separate bathtub
-restaurant in the hotel was really good - try the pancetta for dessert!
-very friendly staff
-the Library on the 2nd floor is very chic!

I would definitely stay here again.

Dear TravelChipNH,

Thank you for the rave reviews! We are very proud of our product as well as our staff and I am glad your experience highlighted the best of both.

We look forward to seeing you at Trump SoHo very soon.

Warmest regards,