“Great hotel with an amazing staff - an experience we will never forget”

Trump SoHo New York
Ranked #132 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 1 August 2010

The Trump Soho is an amazing hotel.

The hotel is beautiful, and has an amazing location in Soho. We walked everywhere, shopped until we dropped, and ate in lots of fun little cute restaurants in the neighborhood. Our rooms (we stayed in two different rooms) had an AMAZING view, of the water, and both the king bedded room and the suite we stayed in had great set ups, were well planned out, and comfortable to stay in with great beds and pillows, fluffy towels and even outlets that you could actually find and use without having to climb under the furniture

From our experience (five of us meet in NYC for a weekend every summer) a beautiful hotel and an amazing view does not always equal a great hotel. What makes the Trump Soho a great hotel is the staff. They are professional and knowledgeable, but it is obvious that their training goes beyond "skills training" and somehow includes how to actually combine being real people and remain professionals simultaneously. A rare art form.

Just a few examples include the woman at the front desk who checked us in with charm and style and a smile that made us feel like she truly cared. She ensured that our room change went smoothly, looked into everything personally, and followed up when necessary. The door men and bell men always had a smile, and were very professional. One afternoon when the four of us left the hotel, the door man ran back to get water bottles for us. “It’s too hot for you to walk around, I am worried that you will dehydrate” he told us. The room attendant on our floor greeted me with a big smile and a “good morning” when I left the room. All of these employees helped to make our stay something special, but if we had to choose one “employee of the weekend” it would undoubtedly be the concierge, who was so professional, detail oriented but still sweet and so pleasant to talk to that we were actually sad to say good bye.

Run, don't walk, and make a reservation there now. You will not be sorry.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with friends
There are newer reviews for Trump SoHo New York

Reviewed 30 July 2010

I stayed at Trump Soho with my partner this last week and it is in a great location. Only few steps from subway, walk to Chelsea or Little Italy. The hotel is all new. We took a corner suite and you have three good size rooms that are very comforatable. However we were very disappointed that neither the gym or swimming pool featured on their website were available. They were apologetic but all they could do is send us along to a nearby gym which was just OK. You would think that their website (I checked expedia too) would say this. So in very hot New York dont expect to have a relaxing stay by the pool because it isnt there yet.
Otherwise a good but expensive stay considering they dont deliver on their own advertisting.

Reviewed 30 July 2010

We stayed at the Trump Soho for 5 nights in July and we were very much looking forward to it, particularly after reading such great reviews about it. Prior to staying there we had stayed for 6 lovely nights at The London in midtown Manhattan, which was fabulous, (see different review!) so we were really expecting something special from this Trump hotel. We were totally aware that the pool area wouldn’t be open yet, which was a pity, but at least we were prepared for it. The hotel is lovely and plush and the reception staff were very polite and welcoming on check-in. The bell-boy who took our bags up to our room and showed us round our room was excellent (I think his name was Mike). He pointed out lots of buildings and sights that we could see from our view, which was amazing! We were in a king suite on the 35th floor in a corner room, and we really couldn’t fault the fabulous view over downtown Manhattan and across the Hudson River. Mike took his time on showing us where everything was in the room and how to work it all; may appear a bit patronising but there are lots of gadgety type gimmicks in the rooms so I thought this was time well spent. As it happens all these gadgety-gimmicks are quite easy to use and good fun, and make a nice touch to the room. Our room was very spacious, with lots of hanging and drawer space for your clothes. It was also nice to have a hotel TV with some decent viewing channels! With us having such a lovely suite with a fantastic view, and it being very warm outside, we sometimes just relaxed in our room (well tried to – see further down review!) watching television. The bathroom was a great size with double sinks, separate bath and shower. The shower was roomy but the shower door leaked water on to the floor so we had to very strategically place bathmats and towels down to absorb the water! Our bed was big but far too soft for our liking; it was a bit like sleeping in a huge marshmallow! Wasn’t really worth complaining about as this is a preference thing - some people like soft beds, we prefer our mattress a bit firmer! Now for the negative stuff......
The walls are paper thin. I could hear next door’s phone ringing, their conversations etc. which no doubt meant they could hear us – not very private! I could hear upstairs talking too, but not as clearly. Sounds like I was eavesdropping but really you didn’t have to try very hard to hear! We also heard a couple getting “intimate” but not sure whether this was above or next to us. Nobody likes to hear that on holiday!! Our linens (both towels and bedding) did not smell particularly fresh but the bedding was the worst. We asked the maid to change the pillow top part of the mattress as we thought it was that, which she did graciously but it didn’t make any difference because it turned out it was the bedding. We told reception on check-out but we got the brush-off; “everything is brand new so that doesn’t make sense” said the man at reception. It doesn’t make sense but that doesn’t stop it being true! And finally the air conditioning. As we were in a suite we had 2 controllers, one for the bedroom area and one for the living room area. Even if both controllers read the same temperature, one part of the room was freezing while the other part was roasting. And I know it was warm outside and you want your room cool but sometimes it was impossible to get that room to a comfortable temperature.
There is probably not much the Trump Soho can do about their paper thin walls now but I think guests should be aware that this doesn’t provide much privacy, and I don’t know if they can do something about the air-con now either but they can, and should definitely sort out their smelly linens!!
The location is fab, I love the Soho/Tribeca/West Village part of New York but next time we’ll stay somewhere different in downtown Manhattan.

1  Thank dfur
Reviewed 30 July 2010

Having stayed in quite a few "good" NY hotels before (Soho Grand, Hudson, Hilton), the Trump Soho was a class above. This is almost on par with some of the top Asian hotels which always set the benchmark for hotel quality.
And despite being Trump, it is actually not kitsch....it's modern chic and classy.

Good things:
1) It's very new...so it's very clean
2) Rooms are fabulous....we stayed in a deluxe king. Very large for New York (again, almost akin to Asian style). Bathroom is large and very modern, with a bath right next to a floor-to-ceiling window...could have just stayed in the bathtub! Actually, all the windows were floor-to-ceiling. Bed was very comfortable and all the mod cons were available. Design was modern and chic. View was great (we were on a higher floor). A nice touch was the stereo which had soothing nature music you could switch on
3) Service was great everywhere, particularly the doormen. I even saw them passing out free bottles of water to joggers going past in the NY heat!
4) Location is perfect for those wishing to be around Soho. Whilst not quite in Soho, it is a 5 minute walk away. And let's face it, it's NY...nothing is more than a 10 min cab ride away.
5) Gym was not yet open, but the outdoor pool looks absolutely magnificent...can't wait to go back to have a swim there. Pool in NY is very rare.
6) The hotel slippers were the plushest we've ever come across....well, on par with Ritz Carlton. And we are slipper connoisseurs.. :)

Cons
- Can't really think of any! I suppose there is no real supermarket or convenience store close by. It is on a main road so there isn't much in the immediate block, but as mentioned, walk 5 min and you are in soho or west village.

Highly recommend. Our definite choice whenever we are back in NYC.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank love2travelTokyo
Reviewed 25 July 2010

I was spending some days to New York last Spring with my husband and our almost 4 yr old son. We were guest last September to the Trump Chicago (see review) and we were really impressed that we decided to change our usual address to New York (The Palace) trying the new Trump Soho hotel.
At the time of the reservation they didn't mention about works still in progress but was a new hotel so we were ready to find some little fail.
The location is on Spring Street but some blocks out to the shopping streets (not imagine prime location like Mercer hotel) where early in the morning and late in the evening we had some bad encounter.
We got a one bedroom suite as promotion for booking before hotel opening, the room was big and the furniture elegant but we had anyway the sensation of missing space due to the strange cut of the room with many corner and pillars. The window in the living wasn't big enough and was always quite dark, to not mention the view: never book lower floor because there is absolutely NO VIEW except office-living grey building so close by that people were greeting our son searching (hopeless..) for the Empire State Building.
Main bathroom has no door to the master bedroom which means no privacy at all especially traveling with children.
Amenity where missing, coffee (Nespresso machine) was replaced seldom, there was never sugar, milk coffee cups. Elegant room by Fendi casa but not cosy at all.
The swimming pool and fitness wasn't ready and we had our swimming suits and training shoes with us (no mention about it also at the check-in).
The main restaurant was working but in a provisory location, we had a look find it unlikable and we didn't try it out.
In general we weren't happy about the feeling more than the hotel features. We didn't feel welcome, the staff was very brief and never give up a smile. The door men were an exception. The concierge was helpless and looked always annoyed about request.
As a five star hotel, should be more customer minded and the staff should have been trained to support and take care of clients especially where there was a lots of luck on the facilities.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank SRZurich
TrumpS0H0NYC, General Manager at Trump SoHo New York, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2010

Dear SRZurich,

I am sorry your stay did not meet your expectations. I must say that it surprises me to learn that our staff was unwelcoming and brief in their responses as all I hear of our staff are positive reviews and endless gratification.

For future reference, we do offer bathrooms with doors. Please mention this when booking and we will be more than happy to accommodate you accordingly.

Our website mentions that our pool and spa will open late summer 2010; I am sorry if you missed this communication.

We do hope you come back for a second try and experience the service and dedication of a five star hotel.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 25 July 2010

Let me just say, Manager, Mr. David Chase, and his staff definitely know how to manage a hotel and they outdid themselves in the areas of service and quality of room. My wife and I decided to stay at Trump Soho overnight for our anniversary. We reserved a deluxe room and I let them know we we celebrating our anniversary. I received a confirmation call two days before our stay and they had noted that we were staying over for our anniversary. Needless to say, when we arrived, we were politely greeted with a "Happy Anniversary". We were given a room on the 31st floor. I must say when we opened the door, we were very happily surprised! They put us in a suite with views of the water from every window. Many special extra things were done to make the room special, including, but not limited to, rose petals shaped in a big heart on our bed with rose petals at the foot of both sides of the bed. The bed was amazing with a down bed "pillow" covering the whole bed. There was a great espresso machine in the room and champagne. The design of the room was top quality and the whole hotel and staff was second to none. Will definitely stay there again!

Dear Royg311,

I cannot thank you enough for complimenting my staff and myself for the service we provide. I know I say this often, but I am extremely proud of our team and the manner in which we anticipate our guests’ needs as well as create memorable experiences for them. I am glad that you and your wife celebrated your anniversary with us and that we were able to make it a lasting moment.

Please come back for your next anniversary, we would love to celebrate with you again!

Best regards,

Reviewed 22 July 2010

This is a marvelous place. The location is perfect. One of the best hotel i've stayed. The service matches some of the south east Asia hotel I've been. Everyone, from the maids to the doormen, is nice, smiling, saying hello not in a "I must say it because it is in my contract" way. You're looking for a place in the hotel, there is always be someone to help you. Even the room service people are nice...I never thought this could happened in NYC.

The bed is fantastic. I could've stayed all day in bed looking at the view from my corner room.

The food at Quattro is good. The place is very noisy though in the evening. I guess this is due to the high ceiling. It is also very cold there. Breakfast at Quattro is nice but the waiters seem so bored and inattentive to guests.

The setting of the bar is, to me, more of a dance club than a bar. It is very dark with helpless waiters. I you want a real strong drink in an unusual place, go to death & bath on A and First.

One very bad point: I forgot something in the bedroom when leaving. I called 10 days after, maybe I've waited too long, but I could not take care of this earlier. What I left was not in the record of the lost and found and so disappeared. I therefore think that the person who cleaned the room kept it. This is very unfortunate as it was a nice and somehow valuable gift from the hotel. I've often forgotten items when checking out in hotels (in particular in NY) and was always able to have it shipped back to me.

I don't know if it has already happened to other guests. I hope I'm the only one....

I think I'll come back to the Trump Soho and will recommend it but I'll keep in mind that stealing issue.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank CD_in_geneva

Dear CD,

I am very happy that our service is comparable to your best experiences. I am very proud of the staff I have hired for the hotel and this is a comment I truly take pride in because it is a top priority of mine to deliver the best in class.

I must express my sincerest apologies for your lost item. It is standard policy to hold any items left in-room so I cannot imagine this being taken by housekeeping as we have had many items lost and found. If you would like to call us back and explain in further detail what the hotel had given you as a gift perhaps we can assist in finding a solution.

We look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Kind regards,