“Quick Walk from Penn; Beautiful Glass Oasis in the Sky”

Kimpton Hotel Eventi
Ranked #47 of 470 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 18 June 2012

I am a big Kimpton fan. We have stayed here 3x now and each time it is a great experience. Staff are super friendly and knowledgeable. Registration desk has beautiful draping and a peak of a European painting. Like all Kimpton's they host 5pm wine hour and morning coffee. Lobby is a bit small but they have made the area inviting and warm. The location is terrific if you come in on the train to Penn and don't want to stand in taxi line. The rooms we have had are small but appear spacious through mirrors and large glass windows. Lots of closet space and one of my favorites - large bathrooms with soaking tubs (well if you request that). The artwork in bathroom and sitting area is one of my favorites - simple sketches that make you think. The beds, bedding and desk are all top notch. And of course the animal print robes are always fun. The noise level is fantastic for the city. They did a good job on sound proofing. We have sat out at the gallery bar on two occasions and the watermelon/raspberry martini was beautiful to look at and sooo tasty. They also offered apps at half price which were well worth it. On our last visit bar was under construction -so not sure what it will be next time.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
HotelManagerEventi, Manager at Kimpton Hotel Eventi, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2012

Kelly M,
Some cool photo's you snapped. The ones of the second floor (specifically in bar basque) must have been from a prior trip because that space looks different now. eSquared (the folks behind BLT here in NYC) are now managing the restaurant on the second floor and its called Humphrey. We hope you make it back to try out some of their delicious cocktails soon!

Write a ReviewReviews (3,484)

Reviewed 18 June 2012

This was our first trip to NYC! We stayed here for two nights, then left for a week to upstate NY, then back to NYC and stayed here for our final two nights.

The staff is very helpful, friendly, and responsive to our needs. Our first night there they gave my youngest a gift bag with goodies! She loved it and felt special.

The rooms were clean, and the beds were very comfy with great linens.

Hotel bar closed at 10 p.m. which was a bummer since we would have liked to have some cocktails once back from our city adventures.

The hotel is four blocks from a subway terminal and 1/2 block from the PATH train into NJ. Very convenient. Only about a 20 minute walk from Times Square or Grand Central.

We would definitely stay here in the future!

Room Tip: Only King rooms get an Empire State Building view. We had the Queen/Queen since we have kids, so we...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family

Rodriq5,
So fun that your littlest celebrated a birthday with us...hope she remembers it forever! Thanks so much for the review of your time with us and we hope the rest of your journey was peaceful and filled with fun. Come and see us again soon!

Reviewed 18 June 2012

From the minute we walked in the door we were greeted by extremely friendly and helpful staff members.... Patrick at the front desk was over the top helpful with us and gave us a wonderful room and an upgrade because we are Kimpton " In Touch" members, an unexpected treat.( It pays to belong to Kimpton which gives upgrades when available and free wifi at any of the hotels). The room was beautiful, a huge walk in shower/tub and comfortable bed with super soft sheets. The wine reception was on the second floor in the restaurant patio enclosure and wine flows freely between 5 and 6. I don't know many other hotels that host a complimentary wine hour any more, and especially in New York. They have a fantastic roof top lounging area with comfortable cozy seating where you can take your wine and sit to enjoy the outside. I was able to get a last minute extension on my stay for an additional night even though the hotel was sold out. We ate several meals in the restaurant during our stay which was very good, and the server we had was particularly attentive to my allergies and special needs for food. The location of the hotel is good, about a half hour walk down to West Village for great food and ambiance, and we found a stellar restaurant a block away called Seven that was absolutely outstanding. There is also a deli style food place a block away with groceries, wine sales and a huge buffet of excellent food to grab a lunch or dinner and take back to the room.
Check in and check out at the hotel were super fast and all the way from arriving to getting in my cab to leave for the airport it was a fantastic experience. I highly recommend this hotel to anyone wanting to be treated like a star in New York.

Room Tip: request a high floor on the opposite side of the hotel from 6th Ave, better view and quieter
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 18 June 2012

From the moment we entered into the Eventi, until the end of our stay, I have to say it was amazing. Starting with the receptionist Sue, she made us feel so welcomed, upgraded us because it was our 43rd. anniversary. The complimentary wine and cheese daily at 5:00 p.m. is also a great idea of the hotel.
We had a problem with the TV's reception, called down and within minutes had the problem solved. We hated to leave the hotel after four amazing days at the Eventi Hotel. I have been to New York now five times, stayed at various hotels, all were a four star. This will be my choice of hotels in New York from now on. Can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: We were given a corner suite on the 18th. floor facing the Empire State Building. A lot quieter up t...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple

TorontoStephen,
Happy belated Anniversary! We are honored that you chose to spend your special celebratory time here with us and are thrilled you enjoyed your stay. Thanks so much for crowning us your NYC home away from home...can't wait to see you again!

Reviewed 18 June 2012

My sister and I stayed there on a Friday a few weeks ago. The room was an average size and nicely decorated. Everything was clean and new. The bathroom was large but the lighting is very dim above the sink. (not good for getting ready for a night out)
The location is great, very central with plenty of things within walking distance.
I am Kimpton In Touch member and I always appreciate the raid the minibar credit.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 June 2012

I am a Kimpton fan, and found this hotel, overall, in keeping with the brand's image and execution. However, they mucked up my reservation pretty good, caused significant inconvenience, and then mucked up their apology. Net, a lot of muck ups.

I extended my reservation by one day, the reservations agent assured me that this would be included in my original reservation, no need to change rooms or check out and re-check in. When I checked in, they had the right dates, everything seemed fine. I returned to my room to get materials for a meeting and found I was locked out (because they did NOT extend the reservation as promised and as indicated when I checked in). The ensuing chaos resulted in my being hugely late for a meeting. They attempted to compensate by giving me extra coupons to use with the minibar, but then wouldn't honor them (you can only use 1 per stay!). When I brought this up to the front desk staff, they said there was nothing they could do.

Really disappointing. Not sure I'll stay at this Kimpton again.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Lisa S

NyBesa,
Thanks for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. Sorry to read that your reservation extension process wasn't as smooth as it should have been and I assure you we will all try harder to ensure this type of concern doesn't happen in the future.

Reviewed 16 June 2012

This is my sixth stay at a Kimpton property. I am hooked. Their hotels are always hip and well run. The Eventi is no different, very clean, well designed and friendly. I did have an issue with this Kimpton property. In all of my my other Kimpton Stays (San Fran, Boston, San Diego) I was always made to feel that the guest was the most important thing in the hotel. I did not get this feeling at the Eventi. At the Eventi, Corporate events come first. In San Fran, the wine reception was the more important event at the hotel from 5-6. Huge seating area and great staff. The same in San Diego, seating for 75. I stayed at the Eventi for five nights and the wine reception was crammed into corner of their restaurant with seating for only 20 (four/five small tales) for a hotel of twenty floors. Really?. One staff members full time job was to ensure that any guest did not try to sit near the bar or restaurant tables since they were rented to corporate events. Many guests left drinkless or drank wine in their rooms alone. The websites displayed beautiful garden verandas with hip outdoor furniture and city views. I could not wait to sit outside have a drink and enjoy the city. The problem was I could never use them. They were booked with corporate events ever time and I was told as a guest I was not allowed on the veranda if corporate clients had then rented. I felt like a second class citizen in my own hotel. The staff kept apologizing but said corporate events had the priority. I understand corporate events are an important part of the hotel business model, bit there needs to be a balance. This was a big topic of discussion on my last night of the hotel was the wine reception was moved again to a corner of the very busy small lobby because of a "corporate event" in the previous small corner of the restaurant.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business