“A great hotel in a transitioning area”

Kimpton Hotel Eventi
Ranked #43 of 469 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 22 June 2012

This is a nice hotel - the people who work here are great. I spoke to the concierge when I arrived at 1 am - he was very nice and said he'd see me at the wine hour the following day. I told him I never make it to the wine hour because of work. The next night I received a bottle of wine, grapes and strawberries, with a note from him saying he was sorry I didn't make it to wine hour. The extra measure people have taken is fantastic - from the housekeeping staff to the people in sales. The area is up and coming- you can see the Empire State Building from the rooms with odd numbers. And I expect that the area will get better as time goes, but it's funky right now. But if you want to be in Chelsea, then this is a great place to stay. Justin Bieber is staying here right now!!!! If you're a 12 year old and you care about that.....

Room Tip: Ask for a room with an odd number--you'll see the Empire State Building. I am not sure if the s...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business

Reviewed 21 June 2012

We spent three nights at the Eventi and overall, we were very happy with our stay. The staff were courteous and the room large and well-appointed. A minor concern was that our water (both shower and bathroom sink) took at least 2 minutes to warm up after turning on the taps. I felt that there was little to be gained by mentioning it until we checked out, but I did mention it then. I suppose there may be some plumbing issues that may take some time to resolve. We'd already been in the room almost a full day before discovering the issue, so we really didn't want to move.

We also saw room service dishes outside a room next to ours that were uncollected for more than 24 hours, which was a bit odd.

We ate breakfast one morning at the second floor restaurant and although the food was good, it was pretty pricey. $5.50 for a cup of coffee is crazy, and I wasn't even offered a refill.

One nice surprise was the large television screen on the wall outside of our sixth floor room. Much more fun watching the Euro 2012 tournament that way!

Overall, I'd gladly stay here again, if only to take advantage of the free wine hour (which we missed). I'd also recommend joining the Kimpton loyalty program, which gets you free wifi (essential these days). Staff were friendly and the neighbourhood, though not that interesting on its own, is close to the subway and a short walk from good shopping.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 June 2012

From start to finish our experience in this hotel was wonderful. The reception staff were welcoming and helpful. My husband & I had a City View room on the 19th floor which was fabulous. The evening wine hour was a welcome relaxation time after walking the City all day. The situation of the hotel is perfect with easy reach to Downtown and Mid Town. I would stay here again without hesitation.

Room Tip: City View rooms offer the best views and are quieter as they are on higher floors.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
Management response:Responded 27 June 2012

Pauline C,
5 out of 5 stars - thanks! We strive to be the only NYC hotel you think of when visiting the Big Apple, so we are pumped to know we will see you again. Happy almost 4th of July!

Reviewed 20 June 2012

My experience started off on a sour note... a mixup lead to the cancellation of my spa treatment with the spa partnered (not a part of) Eventi. Mistakes happen, but the front desk was beyond rude when I returned their call to confirm my appointment. Even if I could have done another time offered, spas are supposed to be relaxing and that first impression left me lacking in any desire to be de-stressed by rude people.

HOWEVER, O'Neil went out of his way to rectify the situation and met us upon arrival. If it weren't for him I would have canceled our reservation and went somewhere else! So glad I did not!

The hotel is very cool and very comfy. I loved the deep tub and amazingly comfortable bed. Also, free wine hour! But don't wait until the last minute to grab your last drink. 2 minutes to 6 and all the goodies were long gone.

All together, the staff are so friendly and helpful I hardly recognized I was in NYC. Where were all these nice people when I lived there?

Hours after checkout, David helped us retrieve things we'd thought we lost. After a tiring day, it was refreshing to stop back at the hotel to collect our things and be greeted with smiles and good wishes.

We'll be back!!!!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank danilesuper
Management response:Responded 27 June 2012

danilesuper,
You are pretty AMAZING also! We read your review out loud today at our morning meeting and congratulated O'Neil and David for turning your stay around. Sorry your stay started out rocky, but so happy it finished smoothly. Can't wait to see you again this summer!

Reviewed 19 June 2012

The Eventi Hotel offers standard excellent service and is well located as most Kimpton Hotels. Located at 6th and W. 30th Street, the hotel is centrally located to lower Manhatten. A subway station is located two blocks away. Reservations were easy online with upgrade offered for a higher floor and a corner room. The front desk staff was efficient and courteous although at times only one person was available to answer guest questions as well as check-in or check-out guests. The room was well appointed. The shower and bathroom were spacious. Management responded to our only concern when the AC was not cooling the room. The staff responded quickly and corrected the problem. Will definitely return to the Eventi.

Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jfrandolph
HotelManagerEventi, Manager at Kimpton Hotel Eventi, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2012

jfrandolph,
Thanks so much for your recent review of your time with us - always fun to have the word great describe us! So nice to read that our team acted swiftly when you had a concern with your guest room. Hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 18 June 2012

We were only there one night, but everything was perfect. Staff was just right...didn't bother us too much, but were there if we needed them. Food was good on the terrace, and our room was wonderful. Great views, quiet, no sign of bedbugs (a real challenge in the city sometimes)! I've stayed in Manhattan many times before and this is the best experience thus far.

Room Tip: Corner room had great views.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business

Pigeonherder,
One night only??? You have to come back and spend some more time with us! So glad you found our location and your room just right for you - see you soon!

Reviewed 18 June 2012

I am a big Kimpton fan. We have stayed here 3x now and each time it is a great experience. Staff are super friendly and knowledgeable. Registration desk has beautiful draping and a peak of a European painting. Like all Kimpton's they host 5pm wine hour and morning coffee. Lobby is a bit small but they have made the area inviting and warm. The location is terrific if you come in on the train to Penn and don't want to stand in taxi line. The rooms we have had are small but appear spacious through mirrors and large glass windows. Lots of closet space and one of my favorites - large bathrooms with soaking tubs (well if you request that). The artwork in bathroom and sitting area is one of my favorites - simple sketches that make you think. The beds, bedding and desk are all top notch. And of course the animal print robes are always fun. The noise level is fantastic for the city. They did a good job on sound proofing. We have sat out at the gallery bar on two occasions and the watermelon/raspberry martini was beautiful to look at and sooo tasty. They also offered apps at half price which were well worth it. On our last visit bar was under construction -so not sure what it will be next time.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business

Kelly M,
Some cool photo's you snapped. The ones of the second floor (specifically in bar basque) must have been from a prior trip because that space looks different now. eSquared (the folks behind BLT here in NYC) are now managing the restaurant on the second floor and its called Humphrey. We hope you make it back to try out some of their delicious cocktails soon!