“Always a pleasure”

Kimpton Hotel Eventi
Ranked #52 of 473 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 4 September 2012

I have stayed here at least 10 times - very solid hotel- always dependable- great NYC feel. Nice rooms - great views. Helpful and friendly staff - have had complimentary upgrades on a few occasions. Free coffee in the lobby. Always a cab out front. If you forget something - they have it. Enjoyable restaurants attached. Spa is ok- pricey.

• Stayed: December 2011
Write a ReviewReviews (3,540)

Reviewed 3 September 2012

I stayed here on a recent business trip to the city. I'd never stayed at a Kimpton property before, but from now on I'll look to see if they have a hotel in whatever US city I travel to. Besides the extremely friendly and helpful staff, my room was spacious (especially for NYC) very modern and I think it had the most comfortable hotel bed I've ever slept in. I was disappointed that my stay was only for one night. I'd recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a great place to stay.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 3 September 2012 via mobile

I had a great room with a floor to ceiling windows and a great view including the Empire State Building. The lobby is not indicative of how nice the rooms are. The bar upstairs is also good.

Room service was great and super quick. All in all a very good choice that's central and modern but comfortable.

• Stayed: October 2011
Reviewed 3 September 2012

We spent four enjoyable nights at the Eventi in NYC and we plan to return again in the near future.

Pros:

Location - we found the location to be perfect for us. Yes, the streets immediately surrounding the hotel aren't the best in terms of shops and cafes, however we never felt unsafe there, even walking back to the hotel late at night. And you only have to walk a block or two to find plenty of shops and restaurants. The location is also very convenient to all subway lines so you can easily get to any place in New York, and it’s a very easy walk to and from Penn Station / Amtrak. And it looks like there are improvements going on in the immediate area, so I anticipate positive changes in the future.

Staff - all staff were very friendly and upbeat, and they went out of their way to make us feel welcome.

Decor – the hotel has a very pleasing new, fresh, and modern look.

Room – overall, the room was comfortable, clean and modern, and for New York City, it was quite spacious! (We were in a ‘queen queen’ room – 2 queen beds.)

Bathroom – the bathroom is clean and inviting. It’s beautifully designed with a spacious no-door walk-in shower (no nasty shower curtain to collect grime). The marble bathroom has high-end fixtures with lots of fluffy white towels provided.

Refrigerator - we loved having the use of a small refrigerator for our own groceries (you have to ask for one to be brought to your room – more about that under ‘cons’). Whenever we travel we buy breakfast supplies and have that meal in our room each morning. We also like having a refrigerator to keep a supply of cold bottled water and snacks.

Window – we loved the fact that we could open the window in our room - only about 6 inches for safety reasons – but it was enough to bring in fresh air! What a treat!

Veranda – we enjoyed the fifth-floor veranda - a welcoming outdoor space with a nice view of the Empire State Building and the new buildings at the World Trade Center site.

Free WiFi - we joined Kimpton Hotels when we made our reservation and got free wifi as one of the perks, which was nice.

Cons:

Slow Response To A Request – When we checked in, we asked for a small refrigerator to be brought to our room. We were told this was no problem. (I had been told when I made our reservation that refrigerators were available.) When we went out for dinner about a half hour later, we stopped at the front desk and told them that we hadn't received it yet. We mentioned that we were going out to eat and would then be buying groceries on the way back. They indicated that the refrigerator would be delivered shortly. When we returned over two hours later with our groceries, the refrigerator had still not been brought to our room. We ended up having to take things out of the mini-bar and temporarily using that refrigerator so that our food would not spoil. I called guest services and again asked about the refrigerator and they said they'd send it up. It arrived about 20 minutes later.

Water Pressure – although the shower looks impressive, with a large rain showerhead and a separate hand-held showerhead, the water pressure for both was disappointing.

Bed - overall, the bed was comfortable, however, I am not a fan of the 'feather-bed' (there is a separate 'feather-bed', similar to a duvet, lying on top of the mattress underneath the mattress pad). I found the feather-bed layer to be lumpy when it was not lying perfectly flat on the mattress, which it was not, once I shifted positions in bed. I prefer a layer of memory foam, which provides a layer of cushiness without the lumpiness.

Housekeeping - while overall the room was very clean, we did notice that the room was not vacuumed each day, nor were the bed sheets changed at all during our four-night stay, although the beds were made upon our return in the evenings. And I always look under the sheets at the mattress pad and mattress to check for cleanliness, and unfortunately found a small yellow stain on the side of the mattress pad (I always hope for an absolutely spotless bed). Also, the coffee cup and water glass we used our first night were never cleaned or replaced, nor were the coffee supplies replenished. (FYI - if you want a coffee maker in your room, you need to ask for one.) On the plus side, the bathroom was thoroughly cleaned each day and we got fresh towels and toiletries each day as well.

Wear and tear - the furniture in the room, while nice overall, had some definite wear and tear, which is odd for a newer hotel. The desk, for example, had a large very noticeable scratch on top, as did some of the other furniture pieces.

Lack of drawer space - there was no real drawer space in the room, other than one small nightstand with one drawer. We ended up putting our folded clothes on the shelves in the closet, which was fine. On the plus side, there were plenty of hangers in the closet, however, the light in the closet was not easy to operate.

Noise – overall, we found the room to be quiet and we could not hear our neighbors at all, although there was some noise from the hall and elevator area. However, because our room faced the back of the hotel (on the side with the outdoor giant screen TV lounge area) when we had the window open late at night, we could hear several skateboarders outside until after midnight (even though we were on the 10th floor). We liked sleeping with the window open rather than having the a/c on as we found the air conditioning coming on and off throughout the night to be loud. However, with the window open, the sound of skateboards hitting the pavement and clicking over the grooves on the sidewalks below was quite loud and annoying. We ended up having to close the window after all. And we didn’t especially like the loud music one night that seemed to be coming from that lounge area. Luckily it stopped by 10 pm.

I cannot comment on other aspects of the hotel, such as the restaurant, fitness center, or the spa, because we did not use them. I wanted to use the spa for a massage, but never had the time. I do like the fact that such services are available at the hotel and will likely use the spa during our next visit. And although the hotel offers a free ‘wine hour’ in the late afternoon, we were never at the hotel at that time.

Overall, the great qualities of this hotel far outweigh the negatives, which we feel were all fairly minor issues. All things considered, we really enjoyed our visit and plan to stay at the Eventi again during our next trip to New York.

Reviewed 3 September 2012

Well I stayed at this hotel in June and it was a great place to explore NY from. The hotel is one mile from the theater district and 3 blocks from Macys. The rooms are very clean and modern. The bathroom was on the large side. The hotel offers a one hour free wine/ cheese happy hour to its guests with a choice of one red (too sweet) and one white (too sweet) and sangria. The wines change monthly so hopefully they never use that winery again. The only problem I had at that hotel was I left a wakeup call with the bellboy as I had been on a red eye and he forgot to tell the front desk. I was pretty unhappy to meet my boyfriend 45 minutes for dinner before a play!! He did however write me an apology letter!! Housekeeping staff is very nice and I love all the glass and views you get to enjoy from the rooms!!!!I also got this hotel room on booking.com last minute for the very wonderful price of $180 including tax which is a steal for NYC!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 September 2012

We stayed here for five nights in August and were very impressed. The service from the staff was excellent and very friendly (typically American!) The rooms were spacious for NYC hotels and most offer a view of the Empire State Building.

The area surrounding the hotel isn't great, but hopefully the Eventi is a step in the right direction to improving Chelsea. It's convenient enough to walk up to Broadway, Times Square or Fifth Avenue and also down to Greenwich Village and the Meatpacking District, there just isn't anything great on the same block.

The one thing that was disappointing for such a modern hotel is the wifi charges - $6.95 for 15 minutes from the business centre! We wanted to get online to find out the times for a cruise around the island, and the receptionist sent us to the business centre to use a computer there. The previous day I had asked for directions and another receptionist looked quickly online for me which was very helpful.

Although a leisure hotel with the spa and gym for tourists, the Eventi also seemed to host a few business meetings during our stay, so the high internet costs were surprising.

The wine hour is a nice treat but we only did this once the day we arrived. Other than that we didn't use the spa, gym or restaurant so can't comment. Although when we return to New York I'd probably stay here again and recommend this hotel very highly.

Room Tip: As in anywhere in New York - request a room on a high floor for great views!
1  Thank mistykid3000
Reviewed 2 September 2012

First of all, we have never stayed at a Kimpton property I didn't like. The Eventi was no exception. The location was convenient, close to Penn Station, the PATH, and the Metro. The moment you enter, you are treated like a celebrity by the staff. The rooms are small but well appointed. Mine had a fantastic view of the Empire State Building. The bathroom was particularly nice and in my opinion, quite large. One amenity I enjoyed was the use of the hotel's bikes. Now, we did feel like we had swiped our sister's Huffy as it was a blue and lime green girl's beach cruiser, but it was free and easy. Just call the desk before you wish to take a spin. The staff told me they are usually available. Sign the form and you are on your way-no fee and no time limits. We ate at the hotel restaurant for breakfast and lunch. The food and service were great. The patio was quiet and made for a great way to start our day. Overall, I would highly recommend.

2  Thank JjoVa