“Very Impressed”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Dublin, Ireland
“Very Impressed”
Reviewed 9 April 2013

As a Hilton Hhonors member, I usually stay in the Hilton just off Times Sq (41st/42nd Street) but the Eventi was booked through eBookers and for 5 nights as well as transatlantic flights, the price of the Hilton simply couldn't compare.

I was a bit apprehensive about staying there given that it's a new hotel (for me) and had high standards to live up to. Coupled with the fact I had to pay in advance, well... as I said I was apprehensive. But there really was no need to be. My stay there was pretty damn near perfect, which is VERY impressive, especially given the cost.

Location wise, this is on 6th and between 30th and 31st, which is a pretty decent location - the nearest subway is 3 blocks away downtown or 4 blocks away uptown, which means you can pretty much get to anywhere you want with just a short walk. For me, it's far enough away from any one major tourist spot to avoid crowds yet close enough not to be a hassle to get there.

The hotel itself is clean and modern. Check in was easy and the staff were exceptionally friendly. Room was good (a little on the small side), but had floor to ceiling windows overlooking 6th avenue with a view of the Empire State. The room was modern with flat screen TV (plenty of channels) and free Wifi (which you need to provide with loads of personal/work details if you want to avail of it).

I didn't eat in the hotel at all during the trip nor did I drink in the bar - I did go down one evening but it was crammed full of people, so I left.

The hotel was everything I needed. A good central location on the island, clean, warm, bright and comfortable to both sleep in and indeed pass away a few hours in. Even if it was the same price as the Hilton, I think I'd most likely choose this one again. The fact that it's MUCH cheaper, makes that decision a no-brainer.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing 6th avenue for a view of the Empire state - the higher the better.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ciaranwhyte

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (989)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Port of Spain, Trinidad
Reviewed 9 April 2013

My wife and I stayed here for 4 nights to go to a MSG concert and attend a show on Broadway. The day we reached we were starving so had dinner at the hotel's restaurant (bonus that it fell during the daily complimentary guest happy hour), great food and service, not a huge menu but what they do they do very well. We also ordered room service a few times for breakfast as well, no complaints there at all either, eggs cooked to perfection, pancakes tasty and not dry, nice selection of spreads, and all the food was hot on arrival. The bed was VERY comfortable, so much so that we were supposed to see what brand it was to get one ourselves but forgot. I must mention though, this is not a bargain hotel, you get what you pay for and there was not much more we could have asked for, in a great location to boot!

The front desk staff were all very pleasant, knowledgeable and friendly, giving us excellent culinary recommendations when asked for local hotspots, would definitely stay here again. The doormen and hotel staff were also very pleasant and helpful even though the hotel lobby could be busy at times. One tip if you decide to stay here, sign up for the Kimpton rewards program, its free and entitles you to free wifi during your stay.

The only complaint I have, which is not really a big one, is that the rooms are not sound insulated so you hear your neighbor if they're talking loudly or the doors around you are closing.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
georgia
Reviewed 7 April 2013

This is by far the best experience I have ever had at a hotel. I arrived in New York on a Wednesday afternoon. I hadn't purchased theater tickets since my flight only had a 70% on time arrival rating but we actually landed a bit early. I called the hotel to inquire about getting tickets to Wicked. Kevin took my number and called me back within minutes with tickets in the orchestra section, row L. After learning it was my son's first NYC visit, they upgraded us to a room with an unobstructed view of the Empire State Building.

The next morning, the staff at the front desk provided me with a map and hand wrote directions to exactly where the attractions I wanted to see were located. One of the staff members gave me a business card so I could call back to the hotel if I had any questions. That evening, Steven gave me directions for the next day and gave me some locals tips which were very helpful. On our departure date, there was a street fair going on and 6th Avenue was blocked off. They arranged for a car service to come pick us up and take us to the airport since getting a cab was going to be nearly impossible.

The staff, especially Kevin and Steven, were wonderful!! There is a complimentary wine hour every evening from 5-6 which was also very nice. I would not stay anywhere else on my next trip to NYC. What a great experience!!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank southernbelle68
Vedano al Lambro, Italy
Reviewed 7 April 2013

I have been at the hotel for 5 nights with my wife and our two children (12 and 10) last week and we have defijitely enjoyed our stay.
I had reserved some months ago with a great deal (including sunday night) compared to their standard fees and I paid a BW price for this great hotel.
The location is great, on 6th avenue, walking distance to Empire State Building, Penn Station, Madison Square Garden, Flatiron Building, Macy's (all less than 10 minutes wlaking distance); besides, in 3 minutes you can reach the 34th street subway station, that is a great connection to almost all NYC destinations.
The two queen-beds room was very nice, very comfy beds, great shower and modern furniture. If I have to complain with something, then I would suggest to put more accessories (the hotel is happy to give them to you but you have to call them), such as a comb, shower caps, a water boiler and more shampoos/soaps (being in 4, they were scarce).
The personnel is very kind and helpful, ready for suggestions and a nice evening shake-hand before returning to the room.
One block apart there is a good Starbucks coffee if you want to save some money for breakfast.
Another suggestion : suscribe for free to the In-touch program, you are waived wifi fees (10$ per day) and you get 15$ for free from the minibar.
I will definitely come back for my next stay in Manhattan.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Corrado R
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 7 April 2013 via mobile

Good location, service and room. Bed was comfortable and bathroom had awesome shower. Only complaint was very loud hvac noise in my room. Would stay here again. Ask for a room on a high floor to get a nice view of NYC.

• Stayed April 2013
Huntsville, Alabama
Reviewed 7 April 2013

I normally don't make the staff my introduction in a review, but the staff at Eventi is exceptional. They are competent, friendly, knowledgeable, attentive and thoughtful. They consistently went the extra mile to care for us. And at no point did it feel insincere or a nuisance. As a matter of fact, we weren't in the room 10 minutes before there was a knock at the door and someone came in with snacks of all kinds for us. Popcorn, chocolate pretzels, fruit, bottles of water...

I was in New York with my aunt for one night and we booked the Eventi because 1) it's a Kimpton; and 2) location, location, location. We had a wonderful trip and in large part it was due to the care and quality of service the staff provided.

The room:
- HUGE by NYC standards. We were lucky enough to get an 18th floor, corner room. The views were amazing - one side was the Empire State Building and the other side was the in-progress World Trade Center. Looking all the way down 6th Ave. at night was such a treat.
- Excellent bed, wonderful linens, comfortable chairs, reading spot lights on each side of the bed. Comfortable, fluffy robes. I slept like a baby.
- That bathroom was fantastic! We had loads of vanity space, room to walk around, and the most brilliant rain showerhead ever. Sorry fellow travelers, I might have used more than my share of hot water on that one.
- The windows open. This never happens in high-rise hotels. They aren't gaping wide, but that little bit of fresh air makes the room feel better to me. And we were high enough that the air really was pretty fresh.

The location was perfect for us, it's in the middle of Korea town and there are loads of authentic restaurants. We had dinner down near 4th St. and the taxi ride was pretty short for the time of day. After dinner we went to the Empire State Building - which is perfect for seeing the city after dark. Everything else we wanted to do was within walking distance and very convenient.

Truly I cannot say enough about the staff - they are so well trained. They make caring for hundreds of people every single day look effortless and genuine.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor and corner room - it feels extra luxurious. If you have any tourist type pla...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
Paris, France
Reviewed 5 April 2013

This was my second experience with a Kimpton hotel and the first one in the hotel in NYC. Nicely got an upgrade I think as my first experience at the hotel, or maybe it was because I looked sad having to trudge through the snow to get to the hotel from Penn Station. Penn Station is actually very close to the hotel, so when arriving by train it is a great place to land fairly easily. The only downside is that even on my 7th floor room I could feel and hear the trains running through underneath the hotel. Will come back here and hope to get another upgrade from the lovely staff.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the higher levels to try and get away from the noise of the train.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled on business