“Disappointing”

Kimpton Hotel Eventi
Ranked #44 of 468 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 18 June 2013

I hate to give a bad review to a Kimpton hotel, since I often stay at them, but I would probably not stay at the Eventi again. First, the location is not great. It’s close to Penn Station and the Empire State Building, and convenient if you plan to shop at Macy’s or other chain stores in that area, but the street it’s on and the surrounding streets are filled with parking lots, wholesale jewelers and people selling cheap luggage. There aren’t many good restaurants in the area. The lobby is perfectly nice but the room was the smallest I’ve ever been in, even for New York. It was dark, dominated by a long dark brown hallway as soon as you enter the room. The bathroom was large (probably the same size as the sleeping area) but there was no bathtub. It was very clean, however. The room design was unremarkable – not like most Kimptons. The front desk staff were very friendly. But overall, you can do better for the same price and hotel class. We celebrated our wedding anniversary here and I wish we’d booked elsewhere.

2  Thank nwilkins
There are newer reviews for Kimpton Hotel Eventi

Reviewed 18 June 2013

My friends and I met in NYC for a "girls" weekend. The staff at the Eventi were thoughtful and attentive and made our stay truly exceptional. The rooms were large for NYC and nicely decorated. Location near Penn Station was convenient. I appreciate the CSR values that transcend the hotel. We loved the hotel and would stay again. Just wish the lobby had a little more wow, that I associate with the Kimptons.

Room Tip: Join the Kimpton program and you get a $15 room mini bar voucher.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 June 2013

Friendly, knowledgeable staff. Personalized service, lovely, clean modern large (by NY standards room), delicious food and people working there who really seemed to be having fun and interested in helping you.

Room Tip: We had a great king room in the corner. Asked for extra pillows. they were there in 5 minutes
Reviewed 18 June 2013

We had previously stayed at Ink 48, another Kimpton hotel. We liked the hotel, but not the location.

For this trip I wanted a more central location (without the kids!) to celebrate our anniversary, so I booked the Eventi.

We arrived on Friday around lunch time. The desk promptly welcomed us and advised that our room was not yet ready, We left our bags with the bell desk and headed out. On our return to the hotel, we quickly received our keys and headed up to our room. I had mentioned it was our anniversary on the reservation, but was surprised to find that we had been given an upgraded room as well as a special treat courtesy of Patrick!

The hotel was perfect for our needs - centrally located, close to the subway and a comfortable room with little street noise.

After our first night we had accidentally left the Do Not Disturb light on, so we housekeeping didn't come in. We mentioned this on our way out to dinner and the room was serviced before we returned.

All in all, a great trip thanks to the whole team at the Eventi.

Reviewed 17 June 2013

Had a one night stay this past Saturday night for our 10th wedding anniversary and I was beyond impressed on how absolutely wonderful this hotel is. Prior to booking I had read the numerous glowing reviews and it lived up to every single one and more. We were upgraded to a beautiful suite with views, cupcakes and champagne. How much better can you get then that? Every staff member we encountered was friendly, accommodating and wanting to please. This is something you really don't encounter in many places anymore. Eventi - please take note of your professional staff!! Great job Eventi! No doubt we will return...

1  Thank momof3boysnj
Reviewed 16 June 2013

This is my second time at the Eventi, and both times I was greeted by energetic, pleasant front desk staff members who gave me really great rooms on high floors. As a result, I was able to enjoy the views from the huge windows. That is probably the Eventi's biggest plus. The room decor is nice -- not a thing wrong with it -- but perhaps it's more functional instead of very stylish like other Kimpton properties. I do like the bathrooms... great rain shower.

The location is also more functional than stylish. It's not "bad" by any means, but the flower district/Herald Square area is much more of a commercial/warehouse area than a residential one. It's a very convenient point to access the subway lines, but you won't find a whole lot that's quaint. Walk a few blocks east to the Flatiron area, or a few blocks south to Chelsea, and you'll have a ton of restaurants and shops from which to choose.

I regret that I didn't take in the rooftop area either time I stayed... next time. And if the price is right, I don't see any reason why there shouldn't be a next time.

Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 16 June 2013

Great hotel and friendly thoughtful staff. Great location and clean, modern rooms. On arrival was welcomed at the check In desk and advised we had been upgraded to a room with an Empire State Building view. After arriving back at the end of our first day we were welcomed by a bottle of champagne and cupcake to celebrate Rich's birthday - what a nice surprise and definitely welcome after trekking around manhattan. Wine hour is great along with cheese and fruit and free tea/coffee in the morning starts you off for a busy day ahead. Definitely recommend this hotel, staff, location are great and cannot fault. Thanks Patrick for the bottle of champagne and cake it was the perfect way to end a great day. I check out tomorrow to travel home, wish I had booked for longer, would return back

Room Tip: Ask for a Empire State Building view!