“Most incredible experience!” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersSilver level
New York City, New York
“Most incredible experience!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 January 2014

I live in the city and had the most amazing "staycation" at the Eventi! Everyone was nicer then the next and had one of the best weekends in my own city! I highly recommend this hotel will tell all my friends to stay when they visit. I even asked for a fish and they brought one up to my room with a smile. Perfect location and hope everyone has an enjoyable experience here.

• Stayed January 2014
1 Thank Travelgirl4lyfe

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (960)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 January 2014

I wanted to love this hotel, I thought that paying way over the top for 2 rooms in New York would at least guarantee clean rooms and the security of our possessions. I was wrong! My husband and I brought our 10 and 13 year old boys to New York as a surprise birthday present. The boys had their own room and throughout our entire 5 night stay, housekeeping done nothing more than straighten out the bed. Nothing was cleaned, dusted or hovered. The view would have been great if if only the windows weren't so dirty that you could hardly see out of them.
On our last day, we asked the hotel if they could look after our bags as we had to check out in the morning and our flight wasn't until late that night. I packed up my mac book, the boys iPads and some jewellery my husband had bought me from Tiffany's as well as our luggage and was assured that it would be kept safe.
When we returned to the hotel to collect it, it became apparent that all our valuables, about $5000 worth had been stolen from our bag whilst it was in the hotels care.
The hotel didn't give a dam! After sending countless emails and leaving messages begging for someone to talk to all I got was a curt email telling me it would be looked into. There has been no apology, not even a returned call. The goods will not I am told be reimbursed and the Eventie have washed their hands of us! We are so upset, not to mention how upset our children are at having their I pads stolen. Well Eventie, you ruined our holiday, ruined my sons birthday and ruined our Christmas and left my boys sleeping in a filthy room and have left us $5000 out of pocket. If you want my advice, don't stay at the Eventie, they only want your money and in some cases, your valuables!

• Stayed December 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
22 Thank UK1976girl
HotelManagerEventi, Manager at Kimpton Hotel Eventi, responded to this review, 10 January 2014
We understand how upsetting it is to lose valuables and we are sincerely sorry that you and your family have had to go through this ordeal. That being said, as you know we have been in constant contact with you beginning immediately once you made this claim from overseas. We have exchanged dozens of emails, calls and have given you all results of our internal investigation. I am hesitant to discuss your personal details in this forum but as you know our investigation revealed many inaccuracies from your claim and statements posted here. Regardless, we wish you a happy new year. Julian Miller - Hotel Manager
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 January 2014

Kimpton is top of my list whenever available and my aim is to try to stay in as many as possible.
This property did not disappoint. Very well maintained, great location, easy parking, fantastic breakfast. Rooms on the small side but that's typical of New York. Go for a high floor if possible due to noise. Some rooms look out to the empire state building, which is a great treat at night.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank atmcc
atmcc,
Boom - 5 star reviews make us so happy! Thanks for being loyal to Kimpton Hotels and the Eventi - we hope to see more of you in the new year!
Croydon, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 January 2014 via mobile

Eventi is a good hotel, with elements of very good and some average qualities.

We stayed at Eventi for a week from 29 December. This is the third time we have visited NYC. Having stayed at the Library and Millennium hotels which are very central we felt we would like to stay in a neighbourhood in order to explore further afield. We have also stayed in other Kimpton hotels and find there is a consistency and generally a high spec within the rooms.

Prior to arrival Brenda arranged a car to pick us up from JFK and billed this to our room. This was extremely helpful as our arrival was late in the evening and the line for taxis is very long. There are a lot of illegal taxi touts hassling you too.

Brenda also provided a comprehensive list of restaurants for NYE and we were able to sample these throughout our stay.

On check in we were given a 16 floor king size room with a city view. This was wonderful, watching the changing sky and colours on the Empire State Building.

The room was of a standard we expected from Kimpton, very comfortable bed, excellent sound proofing, excellent bathroom which was large with great shower, hair dryer and mirrors. The closet was quite small. Wifi is free to everyone, we are in touch members and knew that this would be available, it is very important to us to be able to be in touch with home. Although I asked our agent to ensure the hotel had our in touch details this wasn't acknowledged.

On arrival we wanted a quick drink before going to bed. Brenda advised us that the bar was closed but could direct us to some bars a few blocks away, this wasn't great as we were incredibly tired and didn't want to go out at this time of night. So we opted for a couple of beers from the mini bar.

Breakfast was served on the second floor, we had continental breakfast included in our rate, pastries, fruit, juice and coffee. As this was very sugary we opted to pay extra for the American Buffet to get some protein! The breakfast was good, freshly prepared, lots of juice and coffee. The choice was the same each day so some days we skipped breakfast and had brunch elsewhere.

The bar was quite a disappointment. In other Kimpton hotels we have stayed in the bar and restaurant have been vibrant, a real draw for locals and travellers. Not the case here, there was no atmosphere at all, disappointing.

The wine hour was held in the restaurant, it is more suited to a lounge area, not sure why it was held here. However it was very welcome when we were able to go along!

There was the first heavy snowfall on 2/3 January and the restaurant roof began to leak, this led to the room being closed off and the tables being relocated in the bar area, making the area even less attractive. Cant help the extreme weather though and I am sure the structural issues will be dealt with.

We only ordered room service on our last day, to have coffee while we packed. The coffee never came so we cancelled it as we were about to check out. Guest services were very apologetic and phoned to say they would send it right away at no charge but this was not convenient or what would be expected. From reading other reviews this is a weakness.

Housekeeping is excellent, there is an odd system where a card is put under your door if you are in your room when the house keeper is in your area of the floor. You are required to let them know when it is convenient. We haven't experienced this before, at least it ensures the room is serviced.

We found the hotel to be in an excellent location. We walked everywhere. We really enjoyed the HighLine which took us along to Chelsea Market. It is only a few blocks from the hotel. Don't forget to keep looking back if you are walking in this direction. Going the other way up 6th Avenue you have Macys. Times Square, Central Park, MoMA all a walk away.

We were able to walk down to Greenwich Avenue, Gramercy, SoHo, Little Italy and China Town etc. If you need a cab back it's less than $10.

Some great places we ate at are Monument Lane on Greenwich Avenue for NYE, great little place with great local produce, Elephant and Castle, Greenwich Avenue for Sunday brunch, Craft, Gramercy, John Dory Oyster Bar on Broadway a couple of blocks from Eventi.

On the whole we had a great stay. Front of house staff are really friendly and helpful, although often very busy. Excellent location, room and view!

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Nospringchicken
Nospringchicken - love the handle! Thanks for the review and please know we just hi-fived Brenda for providing you such great service. Also you will be pleasantly surprised that our second floor restaurant in now being managed by a new company - so you will have to come back and check them out!
Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2014

We stayed at this property during our recent trip for the US Open. This is our 4th time doing this trip for tennis and I must say this is the best hotel yet if you are going to the Open. Penn Station is around the corner for the LIRR to the tennis center, so you can walk in 5 minutes and grab the train. There was a huge projection screen in the "park" behind the hotel so we even watched the tennis matches at night from dinner in the hotel - pretty cool. Rooms were nice and clean and the staff was fabulous. Will be staying here again next year!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Suzesilb - Love that you stay with us every year for the US Open! Come and see us for the Super Bowl or the Olympics - its going to be a big party!
Melrose, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2014

The Eventi NYC was a good stay. I would like to give it a "Good" rating but the only choices are "Average" or "Very Good". The rooms were small but nice and clean. The bathroom was spacious the shower was great. We checked in late in the day, just in time for the complimentary wine hour which was nice. We ate a quick meal in the restaurant and it was very good - albeit we only had burgers. The bar was nice, the staff were friendly and the hotel was conveniently located for our purposes. It was a bit on the high priced side but overall it was a good stay!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Mwardlucas,
Well we plan to see you next year for more NYE celebrations! Thanks for the review!
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2014 via mobile

I spent a weekend at Kimpton for a quick getaway. The hotel is so close to the Penn Station which is the main reason why I choosed it. The price wasn't too bad, I did pay extra for a Cityview but only got to saw the alley way and backside of buildings. That was a bit disappointing.

The bed was comfortable, clean, the double shower heads felt great. The room size wasn't bad for two people.

I ordered in room dining and the food was not bad. The fries were great... the portions were decent too. If you do have a gourmet bar in your room, don't go crazy and pop every bottle open... they'll charge you. I didn't know that since this was my first time booking my own hotel, but I drank two water bottles and had two packs of mints that cost me 20 bucks...

Also, I was almost double charged for my weekend stay. I paid through TripAdvisor- through a discounted site and they didn't see that when I was checking out... so they charged me an additional $530. That's a lot of money being taken from your account if you were budgeting and they didn't pay attention or asked if it was prepaid for... luckily I checked my account and noticed the extra charge... and went back and informed them... they fixed it immediately and was friendly about it so that's why I am giving them four stars.

I would go back to this hotel.

Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
J_Chan_89,
Thanks for the review, and thanks for letting us solve the billing issue. We look forward to seeing more of you and yours in 2014!