“be careful if you have allergies . . . and expect crisp service” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Kimpton Hotel Eventi

Kimpton Hotel Eventi
Ranked #36 of 463 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Boston, Massachusetts
“be careful if you have allergies . . . and expect crisp service”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 November 2010

As a frequent user of TripAdvisor, and occasional hotel reviewer, I am always leery of long reviews (aka rants). This is kinda long I wanted to explain my low rating. I travel frequently in the US and Europe - spent about 45 nights in hotels over the last 12 months. Eventi has a lot going for it but you should consider my experiences as you weigh your hotel options. I agree with many of the positive points mentioned in other reviews. However, if you have any allergy problems, want to eat in the hotel, or are fans of crisp service and follow through read on.

For those of you who have a life and don’t want to read all this, the bottom line for those with allergies is: Eventi (as many Kimpton Hotels) are pet friendly. If you are allergic to pets ask to be on a pet free floor (they have three); and, if you are allergic to feathers (or more accurately the dust mites that live in feathered bedding) ask to have the bedding changed. Or stay in a more allergic person friendly hotel.

I booked three rooms (my sister, my daughter, me) for three nights in October. When we checked in my sister mentioned she had seen that Eventi was pet friendly. My daughter, my sister and I are all allergic to cats and some dogs so we asked if we could have rooms that had not been occupied by pets. The front desk person checking us in was very helpful and said that was easy to do. After I had been in my room a couple of hours I noticed I was feeling a little itchy and congested. I checked with the front desk and they assured me I was on a pet free floor. We went out for the evening and came back late. Next morning I woke up very congested, had a blocked ear (which I’ve never had) and had to run to CVS for relief. Chatted with helpful front desk guy about what could be bothering me. Turns out the comforter and many of the pillows are feathered. Bingo - although I am not usually bothered by feathered pillows that seemed like the case here. This is apparently common enough that they quickly dispatched housekeeping to swap out the feather containing bedding with non allergenic material. Seemed to work for me as I didn't have any more significant allergy problems (though wasn’t completely back to normal). This room allergy problem is the first I've had in many years in a hotel though I do usually ask for foam pillows. I should also add that my sister and my daughter have allergy problems occasionally but didn’t have any problems at Eventi.

Other than the allergy issues the rooms are nice. Two nits: the HVAC makes a loud rumble when it cycles on and off (may vary by room, didn't bother my sister) and the room lighting leaves dark areas (the obvious location for a suitcase on luggage rack is quite dark at night so I had to use my flashlight to find things.)

So that’s the allergy thing, here’s the service thing(s): When we checked in the desk clerk told us about the dining options including that the Bar Basque restaurant had just opened a week earlier for breakfast and dinner and encouraged us to try it. On our last night we were going to the opera and decided to try Bar Basque - I love Spanish food and we thought eating in the hotel would minimize the risk of being late for the opera. (I had to talk my sister into it because she had a bad experience at breakfast there.) When we got off the elevator at the restaurant we were offered a glass of wine off a tray. Didn't take much to figure out the restaurant was hosting a private function and was closed to hotel quests. We had not been notified (how about a sign by the lobby elevators or in the elevators???) (and why do you close a restaurant you just opened??). So we had to scramble to find another option for diner.

On our way out the door the friendly doorman asked how we were doing and we told him we were unhappy that the restaurant was closed and we weren't notified in advance. He apologized and offered us a bottle of wine. We said thanks but we needed dinner not wine. He asked us to wait while he went in back of the front desk. After a few minutes (we almost left as we were feeling pressure to eat) he introduced us to the front desk manager who asked how he could help us. Things went downhill from there. Didn't the doorman tell him our problem? We had already spent too much time on this and needed to find dinner. The manager basically indicated the whole thing was our fault as there had been a letter in our room informing us that the restaurant would be closed (I had not seen it, my sister didn’t get one). He was unhelpful so we just walked out the door. The door man apparently thought the manager was going to do something more than offer a bottle of wine as he asked us what happened. I told him: we got a weak apology and an explanation of how we had screwed up! We weren’t trolling for comps, we needed dinner and he wasn’t helpful.

OK, so now I’m at the point where only insomniacs are reading this. Anyway, the next day the front desk manager approached me and acknowledged that things had not gone well the night before. He asked how he could make it up to us. I said a sincere apology would help and he did apologize. He said he wanted to do something for us and asked us what he could do. I didn’t have any ideas and he didn't offer up any.

When I checked out I asked to speak the hotel manager. (This is putting me to sleep, is that insomniac still reading?) I told him that I had three rooms for three days, wasn’t leaving a happy customer and wanted him to know why. He (Bert?) was very professional, listened well, asked the right questions, and sincerely apologized. He said Eventi wanted us to give them another try. He would make an adjustment to our bill and send us a voucher for a two night stay. I thanked him and said we would consider giving them another try.

OK we are near the end! Guess what? Over ten days have elapsed since I checked out. I have yet to receive an “adjustment” to my considerable bill and have not received a voucher. I won’t be giving them another try.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank BostonJake

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (939)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Edmonton, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 October 2010

I forgot to write my review of my trip to NYC in May, but better late than never!

I really enjoyed my stay at Kimpton. The hotel opened a couple weeks before my stay in May. Hotel is modern and very styling. Rooms were a decent size and beds were extremely comfy after a long day of activities in NYC. Love the bathroom showers! There were 2 different shower heads.

Rooms at Kimpton are a decent size considering it's in NYC. I have stayed in other hotels in NYC and i felt like i was living in my closet. Loved the outdoor balcony, a tasteful area where u can relax on your own or with others. Lobby is a bit small, but it didnt concern me much b/c I wasn't sleeping in the lobby. Staffs were efficient and polite. Good location, you can walk to shops near by, such as Macy's or even take a short cab ride anywhere.

Really enjoyed my stay here and would recommend it to anyone :-)

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Distributi0nManager, Manager at Kimpton Hotel Eventi, responded to this review, 5 November 2010
Dear mo4ever18,

We appreciate you taking the time to share your review of the Eventi! I think it's wonderful that you were one of our first guests to experience Kimpton's newest hotel and I'm delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay. The outdoor balcony is an aspect of the hotel that we're very excited about for our guests and I'm glad you liked it. We hope to welcome you back soon!
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 October 2010

We stayed at the new Eventi Hotel the second week of October and it was great. It was in a very good location in Manhattan. The room was a good size for NY, very stylish and the beds super comfortable. The staff were very welcoming and helpful. There was also a beautiful terrace on the 5th floor with great views of the city including the Empire State building. I highly recommend the Kimpton chain of hotels since they offer the complimentary wine hour every night!

jacko_jackson
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 October 2010

The room and service was great. We got a great deal for labor day weekend, worth exploring. Very comfortable room, really cool bathrooms and nice art throughout the hotel. Basically makes you feel like you are in your own apartment. Great location for touristy stuff - central park, timessquare, etc. Although there are many great hotels in NYC, it will be hard to stay anywhere else the next time.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
Cambridge, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 October 2010

We just finished 3 nights at the Eventi and could not have been happier. I try to stay with Kimpton Hotels and am a InTouch member. As mentioned in previous reviews, this is a new property and we didn't experience any glitches. The staff were helpful and friendly. Although the parking in the building isn't cheap, I liked the fact that we could park underground and access the hotel via elevator. The new ultra modern food court is excellent with plenty of choices from four different places. Check out the theater seating dining room in the back! The same restaurant group (China Grill), runs the new Basque inspired restaurant on the second level. Check out the computerized, self serve wine dispensers! Breakfast was nice but not cheap. It overlooks a landscaped courtyard with a big jumbotron screen showing cartoons, sports games and short films. The room was again modern, good sized, and had a very nice marble bathroom. We were on the 6th Ave. side and didn't notice that much noise. The bed was super comfortable. The location is within walking distance to many nice Chelsea restaurants. We'll be back for sure!

Dear RFBoston,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on your recent visit to Eventi! It's always humbling for us to hear when a loyal Kimpton guest, like yourself, enjoys their stay, especially at our newer properties. Being able to provide various dining options for our guests was definitely something we were looking forward to so I'm glad you enjoyed FoodParc and Bar Basque. We can't wait to welcome you back!
San Francisco, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 October 2010

Really enjoyed Eventi Hotel, super comfortable and well appointed rooms. The entire staff was outstanding in every way offering incredible service, in particular concierge Caroline who assisted with show/tour/restaurant/nightlife recommendations as well as seeing that our experience at the Eventi was a perfect one. I would highly recommend the hotel with it's trendy decor, convenient location and superb staff. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with friends
Dear KatB317,

I'm delighted to hear that you had a pleasant stay at Eventi! I'm glad that Caroline was able to assist you with all of your requests during your visit, as well as the other staff members. I will be sure to pass on your compliments to the General Manager. We hope to welcome you back in the near future!
oklahoma city
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2010

Pros- Dark, quiet, relaxing. Wine hour, morning coffee a nice bonus. The doorman actually stood in the middle of the street for several minutes hailing us a cab! Great sheets, toiletries, furniture, AMAZING bathroom. Missed the wine hour once (we thought it was at 6), and they send a bottle of wine to our room. :)

Cons- only 1 turndown service out of the 5 nights we stayed. Filled out the Kimpton In-Touch mentioning our pillow preference, my birthday and our 10th anniversary, but i don't think they even read it. We did get the free wireless and $15 minibar voucher. They did NOT have the sympathetic shoulder pillow. Don your good walking shoes, cause it is not very conveniently located. There is good shopping only a couple of blocks away, however. Clean over all, but housekeeping never disposed of dirty dishes, litter or towels/washcloths. I had to call to have them removed, since the living space is very small. NOTICE- The clothing storage is minuscule, so pack light! Didn't like the Food Parc. Food was not very good. Didn't eat at Bar Basque.

The Eventi was a great place to retire in peace in the evening or for an afternoon nap. I recommend earplugs. The ac is noisy when it kicks on and off.

*photos to come