“WORK...BUT RELAX”

Ranked #243 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Atlanta, Georgia
“WORK...BUT RELAX”
Reviewed 28 November 2013 via mobile

Was here for work... But really had a great time when it was time to relax!! Room was all in all very good! It was starting to get run down a lil! Bed was comfy and a bathroom very clean. Many restaurants/delis to eat at no matter what time very close by! My biggest complaint is there are no outlets (plugs) near the nightstand. I would no doubt come back to this hotel!!

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Patrick H, General Manager at W New York - Downtown, responded to this review, 6 December 2013
Dear EATHOTDOGS,

Thank you for your review!

I am very pleased to see that your overall experience was positive and that you were able to relax and enjoy yourself during your stay.

I do appreciate the feedback about the outlets and can assure you that we are working toward a solution.

We hope that you will come back to stay with us again.

If you would like to speak with me directly, please call at 646.826.8600.

Patrick H.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (269)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Perth
Reviewed 19 November 2013

There is nothing wrong with the W in downtown New York. However, it didn't grab me at all. Bordering on the 9/11 World Trade Centre Memorial it is a sobering location. They even have a funky balcony so you can look into the memorial. Not really my thing.

The entry at street level is uninspiring, a lift lobby with no adornment that takes you to reception on level 5. Then it really goes pear shaped for me, you step out of the lifts into a black world, walls, floor, furniture. I found it challenging especially at night and disorienting during daylight hours. Trendy and funky - maybe I am too old.

Apart from that the room was fine, reasonable size and well kitted out. Comfortable bed and very quiet.

Dear 1Lad,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at W New York - Downtown.

We are sorry that our design narrative did not meet your tastes, but do hope that we were able to make up for it in other areas!

If you would like to discuss your stay further, please contact me directly at 646.826.8600.

Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 15 November 2013

I was booked here by my company so I have no idea what kind of rate we received, overall things were lovely with a few exceptions. My room on the 11th floor had two full beds and was fairly spacious for NYC, great toiletries and I love the room darkening shades and window seat. The safe was large, as was the bathroom. Plenty of hot water with a great strong water flow. I never understand that the nicer the hotel, the more they charge you for WiFi - I'm sorry it should be free, $14.95/day is crazy. If you wanted free WiFi, you had to go the public spaces on the 4th & 5th floor. The gym was small but adequate, only two treadmills, but bikes and ellipticals as well as weights were available.The staff were uniformly pleasant and helpful. There was nowhere to really store your luggage - if you had a small bag you could stash it under the desk, but I was there for the week with a big bag and ended up leaving it in the open next to the "adjoining room" door. My biggest pet peeve was the lighting - there was some mood lighting behind the closet/desk fixtures and the bed headboards and then there were desk lamps on the desk and bedside table, neither of which illuminated the room in general. I was constantly swiveling the desk lamps trying to gain some light in the room. Same problem in the bathroom, the overhead lights were near the door so you really couldn't see well in the mirror - I was always in shadow. Great lobby and bar area that included an outdoor terrace. Overall - very nice!

Room Tip: Ask for a north facing room if you'd like to look over the WTC memorial and face the Freedom Tow...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Dear Lisa R.,

Thank you for your detailed review of your experiences at W New York - Downtown.

It is wonderful to see that your overall experience was enjoyable. I also appreciate your feedback about both the WiFi and the lighting in the room.

We will definitely look at ways of improving on these issues to further the guest experience.

I hope you will consider staying with us again the next time you are in New York.

If you would like to contact me directly, please call 646.826.8600.

new york,ny
Reviewed 11 November 2013

nice hotel, good staff. you walk into the lobby its dark and so when you walk in from outside on a cold winter night going from the dark and into the dark is weird. This hotel is great if you need to stay downtown. Food in BLT is ok. Ordered lint brush online that never came.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Dear Ale722,

Thank you for your review. I am sorry that you found our design narrative challenging during your stay. I hope that we were able to make up for this in other areas.

I am also sorry to hear that your lint brush was never delivered ... we pride ourselves on our Whatever/Whenever serivice promise and I assure you I will address this with the appropriate people.

We hope you will stay with us again when next find yourself in New York.

New York City, New York
Reviewed 5 November 2013

Of course, the hotel can't be faulted for its location, but I struggle to find a reason as to why anyone would want to be down here unless you have a meeting in lower Manhattan early in the morning (as I did). The hotel is located directly across from the WTC memorial, and that adds to the unsettling sense. Generally speaking, W hotels are attractive for those seeking a hip, trendy, loungy, party kind of experience...but if you are seeking this, why are you downtown? It's a vacant no man's land. I have stayed at the W on Times Square, and that makes a bit more sense. As for the facilities themselves, the rooms are small, as expected, but chic, and the lounge area is upscale (but empty). The staff was OK...didn't seem to know that much about what was going on. This is not a convenient place to get find a taxi, so unless you are comfortable riding the subways, it will not be easy to the other attractions in Manhattan. So again, unless you need to be downtown, stay else where. If you do need to be down town, then this is worth considering but there are less expensive options than to pay for the "W experience."

Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank JNelsonRedSoxFan
Dear JNelsonRedSoxFan,

Thank you for your feedback. I am sorry to hear that you found our location to be less than desirable. There are quite a few hidden gems in Lower Manhattan and it is our responsibility to shine a light on these experiences for our guests. From your feedback, it sounds as if we missed this opportunity.

I do hope you will consider staying with us again and give us a chance to show you all that Lower Manhattan has to offer!

If you would like to speak with me further about your experiences, please do not hesitate to call me at 646.826.8600.

Washington, DC
Reviewed 5 November 2013

I stayed at the W New York Downtown for 3 days when I was in NYC on business late October. The room was spectacular, with a view overlooking the 911 memorial, which is across the street. It had complementary coffee or tea in the morning, and the huge King bed was super comfortable. The lobby was hip, and the outdoor terrace was fun for drinks before dinner. I'd stay there again, as long as my business appointments are in the area, otherwise it's a bit of a hike to midtown or even Soho.

1 Thank acdcusa
Patrick H, General Manager at W New York - Downtown, responded to this review, 26 November 2013
Dear Acdcusa,

Thank you for taking the time to review your experience at W New York - Downtown. We appreciate your feedback and are pleased to see that overall you enjoyed your stay.

We do hope that you will consider us again in the future - we would love to share with you some of the wonderful things to do in our growing neighborhood!

If you would like to discuss your visit further, or have any further feedback please contact me directly at 646.826.8600

London UK
Reviewed 29 October 2013

W hotels are a known quantity but often can be a little too trendy and not functional with rooms so dark I have often used the emergency torch for some extra light. The location is great if you need to be this far downtown, on arrival the staff were very friendly and helpful, the double lift format where you get one lift to reception and another to the rooms is a little tiresome when popping out but it does mean you get a second quieter bar with a nice if small balcony. The more classic W Hotel bar is on the ground floor away from reception. Rooms were very functional, WIFI was good, zircon wasn't as loud as it sometimes can be but still needed to be turned off. In short one of the better hotels I have stayed in New York but check out the location works for you.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Patrick H, General Manager at W New York - Downtown, responded to this review, 15 November 2013
Dear JSMLondonUK,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your adventure at W New York – Downtown.
We are happy to see that you enjoyed your overall experience with our Talent and our amenities.

We hope that you will continue to stay with us whenever you find yourself in NYC.

Please do not hesitate to contact me directly at 646.826.8600 if you would like to discuss your stay further.