“Great location, good hotel.”

W New York - Downtown
Ranked #248 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 28 December 2013

I stayed here for business, but was joined by my wife for a little "weekend in the city."

The location is convenient to all downtown activities and sites, and there are plenty of subways nearby if you need to go further uptown (or to Brooklyn). The weekend vibe at the W is "volume up to 11" - the lobby seemed to double as the bar, so the DJ was pumping high volume tunes.

The lobby is very attractive high tech Euro-styled, and fairly small, unlike some of the larger uptown properties (this ain't the Marriott Marquis!). During summer months, there is a outdoor balcony that overlooks the Freedom Tower/World Trade Center site. The balcony was closed now due to winter, but the windows look out at the expanse of the Freedom Tower construction site which is directly north of the hotel property.

It's nice to see lower Manhattan come back to life in the aftermath of 9/11, and the W is one of the properties that have opened since 2001. There are still not a ton of restaurants in the area, but, hey, this is New York... you are within a short subway ride (or walk) of EVERYTHING!

The room itself was small, but it was fine for a couple of days. If I were to be living out of a suitcase for more than a couple of days, I might get claustrophobic. I read a couple of other reviews that mentioned the staff... I have no complaints about the service at all. In fact, my wife arrived before I did to check in (I was at work); and I had called ahead to make sure that she would not have a problem, since the room was not in her name. I guess it pays to have status...

Room Tip: Ask for a good view of the Freedom Tower
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank hzryb
Patrick H, General Manager at W New York - Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 1 January 2014

Dear hzryb,

Thank you so much for your valuable feedback.

We are very proud to be part of the rebirth of Lower Manhattan and are happy to see that you were able to take advantage of the many attributes of the neighborhood.

Our Living Room Terrace is absolutely wonderful during the warmer months and I hope you will bring your wife again for another weekend away.

If you would like to reach me directly, please feel free to call me at 646.826.8600 anytime.

Reviewed 23 December 2013 via mobile

I booked online, and upgraded to the "cool corner room". When I checked in I was informed this room did not include a view of anything,I than asked for a high up floor and was informed nothing was available. When I got to the room I had a view of ugly halfway done under construction buildings. Their online website should inform what different views are included with the rooms, considering I upgraded and payed more for nothing. Also, in the room they charge $8.00 dollars for a single bottle of water.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Jsphilly,

Thank you for your valuable feedback. I am truly sorry that you didn't enjoy your time with us at W New York - Downtown.

I hope you will give us another chance to exceed your expectations and stay with again the next time your find yourself in New York.

Please contact me directly if you would like to discuss your stay further.

Reviewed 21 December 2013

My girlfriend and I recently stayed at The W for four nights. Let me start off by saying that the front doormen are AWESOME. So polite, helpful..and easy on the eyes. ;) Unfortunately, the friendliness stopped at the front door. The desk concierge could not have been more rude while checking in..and DO NOT GET ME STARTED ABOUT THE DOWNSTAIRS RESTAURANT. We literally saw three separate groups leave over the course of our four days due to the rudeness of the restaurant staff. Horrible service! The bartenders could not even make eye contact..and we visited the bar frequently.
Now, onto the more positive..room service was perfect and beyond expectations. Even brought my friend a complimentary piece of birthday cake . THE VIEW OF GROUND ZERO IS AMAZING. Rooms were great size, clean and spacious. Overall, we enjoyed our time at The W due to the cool front door men and the view. Only thing holding me back from staying again would be the restaurant. We enjoy cocktails & the convenience. The bar on the 5th floor was always dead the entire time we stayed at the hotel.

Room Tip: Higher the room, the better the view
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank ChaCha7416

Dear ChaCha7416,

Thank you so much for taking the time to provide us with such detailed feedback about your stay at W New York - Downtown.

I am terribly sorry that you had such a poor experience at check-in and in the restaurant. I assure you that these issues have been addressed with the appropriate parties.

We strive to be the best place to stay and play in Lower Manhattan and hope that you will give us another chance to exceed your expectations.

If you would like to discuss your stay further please do not hesitate to contact me directly at 646.826.8600.

Reviewed 19 December 2013

This has a great business location downtown if your meetings are there, but it really succeeds as a weekend party hotel, with a very good hip bar. Unfortunately I arrived on a weekend for negotiations on Monday and Tuesday, the papers that were couriered for me to read on the Sunday were lost but subsequently found on the Tuesday. The rooms are small but ok apart from lack of power points and aircon/heating that needs an instruction manual. The staff were very friendly and breakfast and gym quite good. Buy your coffee at Starbucks across the road as hotel coffee was very poor (which says something as I do not normally recommend Starbucks!)
Hotel trading as a hip place but not really up to normal Starwood standard.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank HaweaBob
Reviewed 17 December 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for 4 days in early January. The "W" is all about about hip and cool and this hotel doesn't disappoint. Rooms are funky, a bit on the small side, but everything is in its place our bathroom was actually quite large. Room service was very good. Staff is always attentive and on the ball, ready to please. The lounge on the 5th floor was ok. Room suggestion, ask for a room on Washington Street so you can overlook the 9/11 Memorial. I would definitely stay here again pet friendly too!

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Hello Kenneth K,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience at W New York - Downtown.

It is wonderful to see that you enjoyed your time with us and that we were able to live up to the W service promise.

I hope you (and your furry family) will come back to visit us soon!

Reviewed 13 December 2013

The place is weird when you get to check in, but room service is great. They kept sending me drinks to me room after bars closed across the street at the Police and Firemans bar. Staff was nice. room service drinks could have been cheaper.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business

Dear Brownard,

Thank you so much for your feedback about your stay at W New York - Downtown!

I am so pleased to hear about your positive experiences with our Talent and with the In Room Dining service.

I hope you will come back to visit us again soon.

If you would like to discuss your stay with me, please contact me directly at 646.826.8600.

Reviewed 10 December 2013

I'm a platinum member at Starwood properties, so I stay at a lot of them each year. This was my first time at this particular property and I found it to be a very mediocre experience. The appearance of the lobby was very trendy and modern, and the rooms themselves are the same. But I also found the rooms to have fewer amenities than any of the other Starwood hotels I've stayed at. I was "upgraded" to a corner room at the back of the hotel that had some of the ugliest rooftop "views" I've ever seen. The problem with being in a corner room is that you get two walls of windows, and the blackout shades don't cover the gaps, so there's sun pouring into your room as soon as the sun starts to rise, and no way to make it darker.

Additionally, as a platinum member, I'm used to amenities such as free water in the room (there was none) and being offered small courtesies upon checkin, but none of this happened. Small things like having zero plugs for phone chargers, etc beside the beds (either side, not even along the walls) puzzled me. Why have such a modern hotel but leave out such a crucial detail? The heating system was also not intuitive to use (and I'm not exactly lacking in brains, it just wasn't easy to use) and even just leaving the heat at one setting, first it would be very hot in the room and then it would be very cool. No consistent heating at all. Also, while I was very happy with having Bliss products in the bathroom, I had grabbed the lotion to take with me to the office and then left it there. Not a big deal, I presumed that housekeeping would have simply replaced it upon cleaning. They did not. None of the products, whether missing or having been significantly used, were replaced. Last, I was very disappointed to find that this hotel does not participate in the green program, allowing us to decline housekeeping for Starwood points. I generally prefer to do this at hotels, as I'm not messy and don't need someone in my room every day cleaning.

Overall, I thought the hotel was fine, but for a price of almost $500/night, I certainly expected more amenities as a platinum member, and if they aren't given to their most frequent travelers, I can only imagine what the experience might be like for those who aren't frequent travelers. In the end, I don't see that there's any reason to actively avoid this hotel, but I also wouldn't recommend it. I think there are many better in the city, especially at that room price.

Room Tip: Don't get a corner room unless you don't mind having the sun coming in at all hours. They...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank angelaw919

Dear Angelaw919,

Thank you for taking the time to provide such detailed feedback from your most recent stay at W New York – Downtown.

As a well-seasoned traveler your comments are invaluable to us and allow us to highlight areas of opportunity in providing you with a true W Experience.

I assure you this does not reflect the W service promise, for which we pride ourselves. I cannot apologize enough that we were unable to deliver on this occasion to such a valuable and loyal Starwood Member.

I would love the opportunity to further discuss this in person. Please feel free to contact me directly anytime at 646.826.8600.