“Solid Business Hotel”

Ranked #246 of 467 Hotels in New York City
London, United Kingdom
“Solid Business Hotel”
Reviewed 25 February 2014

Have stayed at the W downtime a number of times, hotel is in a prime position either for Wall Street or for offices in Jeresey.

The hotel itself is very modern and has great views of WTC.

Main draw back is that the WIFI is not free

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (268)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Clifton Park, New York
Reviewed 24 February 2014

My family happened to be walking back to the Wall Street subway stop, when we came across this hotel and I wanted to hit the bathroom because there aren't any facilities at the memorial. I am so glad I did because it was very clean and hip. There is a nice lounge nearby too. I will say that the bathroom is unisex, so be prepared.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Shanghai, China
Reviewed 20 February 2014

I liked the comfortable bed in the "spectacular" class room (their name, not a rating on my part) and was pleased with the service. the staff is helpful, polite and quick. the rooms are rather small - in fact too small for me to get any work done. bring two suitcases and a laptop and you will have trouble moving around. I find this not adequately expressed on the hotels website. also note their internet is expensive and ridiculously slow. the location is excellent if you wish to be in the wall street area. the room I stayed in lacked sufficient opportunities to charge my electronic devices. international phone calls made from my room were dramatically overpriced.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 19 February 2014

After a positive first impression with the lobby which we were looking forward to returning to for a nightcap later that evening, we were disappointed with the room which was small and exhibited shoddy workmanship all over with poor drywall work, bad paint trim work, and botched caulking. Plus the shower had a strong mildew smell. Definitely not up to W standards.

When we returned to the hotel later that evening, we were again disappointed to find out that the hotel lobby had been turned into a night club with very loud dance music playing from a cheap portable sound system right next to the elevators. Not our idea of a quiet nightcap so we decided to give up on that idea and ended the evening on a sour note.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 18 February 2014

I have stayed at this hotel a number of times. I think it is a tad overpriced but if you can get it on a good deal, it is standard for the chains in Manhattan. It is the only Starwood property in lower Manhattan which is why I try to stay here when I'm in town if the price is good. Otherwise I stay a little further away and take the subway in. This was my first stay at this hotel as a SPG Platinum Preferred member and I think I was "upgraded" to a corner room. It was on a low floor and looked into apartment buildings and over a random street. I would much rather have the WTC view, which I will be requesting from now on. Also, one of the shades wouldn't come down so I had to awkwardly try to stay out of the view of the guy across the way I noticed peeking out his window at me while I waited for maintenance. The maintenance guy was great though! Commiserated with me while I told him about my horrible cab ride from LGA. Later in the evening I tried calling down to get a wakeup call and the phones in my room didn't work (which wasn't the case earlier when I called for maintenance and room service).Also there was no heat in the elevator going down to the gym which was strange. Other than that, the location is decent, the gym is decent, I like the complimentary coffee/tea bar in the mornings.

Room Tip: Get a room facing World Trade Center site.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Patrick H, General Manager at W New York - Downtown, responded to this review, 4 March 2014
Dear MNChiGurl,

Thank you for providing us with such valuable feedback about your stay with us at W New York - Downtown.

First, let me congratulate you on your SPG Platinum Status! I am sorry that your first stay as a Platinum member didn't meet your expectations.

I hope that you will consider staying with us again so that we can improve upon your opinion and exceed your expectations.

Please contact me directly at 646.826.8600 or via email at GMPatrick.Horstmann@whotels.com so that we can discuss your stay further and so that I can ensure that your profile is updated to note all of your preferences.

I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 18 February 2014

Stylish and friendly enough, this downtown hotel is poor value for money on weekends; the area is dead! Overlooking the building site that is the former World Trade Centre, the area is utterly ugly and charmless.
Bathrooms are finished badly; already there was mildew beneath the silicone sealant in the shower.
Not so much of a complimentary glass of water is offered; water seems to start at $7 a bottle. Outrageous.
Wi-fi is an absolute rip off; it is Wi-Fi, not a luxury and absolutely necessary for any traveler in this day and age - when does hotel internet in a Downtown Financial district, constitute an additional luxury?? Ridiculous.
Rooms were good but the heating was below par. Comforters / Duvets were of a high quality as were the sheets and towels.
Bar scene is well before par and is overpriced; service was also poor enough (I had to go find a server).
A blah breakfast for three (room service) cost over $120.

Room Tip: Inspect the bathroom shower sealant immediately upon check in - nothing grosser than seeing mildew b...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank FreshEire A
Dear FreshEire A ,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with valuable feedback regarding your stay at W New York - Downtown.

Our unique location does offer several opportunities to find hidden gems in Manhattan, but clearly we did not communicate with you about how to find them. For that I apologize and will make sure that our team is communicating with all of our guests regarding fun restaurants and bars in our neighborhood.

I would also like to apologize for the lack of communication with you about the complimentary water in each room as well as the sensory water and coffee and tea service offered in our 5th Floor Living Room each day.

I promise to get to the bottom of these missteps and take immediate action to ensure that we are providing our guests with the best possible service.

We clearly did not meet your expectations and hope that we can invite you back for another experience at W New York - Downtown.

If you would like to speak further about your stay please feel free to contact me directly anytime at 646.826.8600.

Atlanta, GA
Reviewed 11 February 2014

We had an awesome time at this W location. The staff was friendly, helpful, and went of their way to make sure at we had a great experience. We're planning another trip to NYC this spring, and have already decided that this will be our hotel. Thanks for giving this southern girl, such great hospitality!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Dear ChristiB_5,

Thank you so much for taking the time to tell us about your excellent stay at W New York - Downtown!

It gives us great pleasure to see that you enjoyed a warm welcome and overall great experience. We strive to be the best place to stay and play in Lower Manhattan and are happy to see that we met those expectations for you.

Please reach out to us prior to your visit this Spring; we would love to meet you and welcome you back to the property!