“Nice place”

Ranked #246 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Boston, Massachusetts
“Nice place”
Reviewed 31 March 2014

I recently stayed for one weekend night while traveling in the area. The hotel is right up next to the WTC site and does have a lot of tourists milling about. I thought the rooms were a reasonable size for NYC, had nice bathrooms (similar to other W's) and the room was surprisingly filled with light because it looks out onto the WTC reflecting pools. The only downside was there were no valets or doorman present when we got there? (I'm guessing it was because it was a Saturday night?) No big deal because we each had only 1 small bag each but you do expect that in NYC hotels or any city for that matter. The hotel was conveniently located near where our friends live in Battery Park City, close to the water with walkways and bike paths (Citi bikes are for rent nearby). Also surprisingly quiet for a NYC hotel. We'd definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor overlooking the WTC site.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Patrick H, General Manager at W New York - Downtown, responded to this review, 2 May 2014
Dear SunSeekerMA,

Thank you so much for your review. I am happy to see that it was an overall good experience during your stay at W New York - Downtown. However, I have noted your feedback regarding the lack of a Door Ambassador on arrival. I will make sure to address this issue with our team.

I do hope you come back to see us soon!

Please feel free to call me anytime at 646.826.8600 if you would like to discuss your stay further.

Patrick H.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (268)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
New York City, New York
Reviewed 28 March 2014

I was hesitant to stay downtown on a recent trip to NYC but prices are good downtown on the weekends and we love the W properties so we decided to go with the W downtown. (In fact the price was less than a Holiday Inn on the Lower East Side!) It was my first time at this particular hotel and it was a wonderful experience. We arrived very early on a red eye and they let us check in - THANK YOU - AND upgraded us! The room was super comfortable. The lobby and bar area are comfy and chic. The staff was very nice. And while this has nothing to do with the hotel, I realized how EASY it is to stay downtown! This property is close to almost every subway making it easy to access all of the places we needed to go. Downtown is pretty quiet at night, which was fine with us, but bustling with tourists during the day which was nice.

We recently moved away from NYC and our room overlooked the 9/11 memorial which is gorgeous and it was nice to be able to see it. It was a little strange that the bar - which gets busy with a DJ at night, thumping music, etc - also overlooks the memorial. All W's have an night time scene. I think people expect that from the brand. And there wasn't a noise issue because of it. It was just a bit peculiar as former New Yorkers to be in a disco atmosphere above the memorial.

My only complaint is almost too small to mention but is enormously important to me - there was no coffee maker in the room. I am a caffeine addict and I NEED a cup of coffee in the morning. I appreciate that they have free coffee in the lobby but I don't want to get dressed to go down and get my morning coffee. Many boutique hotels don't supply a coffee maker. However, the equally chic W in downtown San Francisco had one so I was disappointed not to have one.

But all in all a terrific stay & I would stay there again.

1 Thank Alix S
Patrick H, General Manager at W New York - Downtown, responded to this review, 31 March 2014
Dear Alix S,

Thank you for giving us such detailed feedback about your stay at W New York - Downtown.

It pleases me to see that you embraced your Downtown adventure and saw all of the wonderful things that staying in Lower Manhattan can offer! It is easy to get around the City, but there are a lot of hidden gems right in our backyard. I hope you will come Downtown again so that we can show you some of the great local spots.

I do want to address you coffee maker question, because it should have been a simple fix. We are happy to provide our guests with coffee makers in the rooms as part of the Whatever/Whenever service promise. I am so sorry that this wasn't explained better to you when you first arrived.

Please contact us at winsider.wnydowntown@whotels.com with your name and SPG number and we will update your guest profile so that whenever you stay at a Starwood property we will know to have your coffee maker ready and waiting for you to start your day!

If you would like to discuss your stay further, please feel free to contact me directly at 646.826.8600.

General Mangaer
Hebron, Connecticut
Reviewed 28 March 2014 via mobile

Very odd misses on my visit. The room service menu was out of date and both items I tried to order were no longer available. The TV remote was missing from the room. After reporting the incorrect menu, returned the next night to find the compendium was missing totally from the room. The room temperature remained very cold and the thermostat did not appear to adjust correctly the first night. To be fair, each time an issue was reported, the front desk was apologetic and engineering was quick to arrive with the missing items. The desk was empowered to offer credit against in room dining charges and the hotel manager was able to offer Starwood points in exchange for the inconvenience. But with that said, when you're looking at nearly $1,000 for two night's stay these kinds of misses in succession can't happen. This stay was for business. I'm not sure on my next trip whether I will stay at the W again, or simply move a half a block over to Club Quarters where the rate would have been substantially lower and these types of gaps would have been less annoying.

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Dear kjwcpm,

Thank you for your valuable feedback. I realize that you have spoken to several of the Managers on property both prior to and after your review, but I would love to speak with you directly about your stay.

If you would like to discuss further, I may be reached at 646.826.8600.

New York City, New York
Reviewed 24 March 2014 via mobile

Consistent with all other W properties, that the hotel faces the 9/11 memorial is a definite differential. The rooms are standArd W property, bar area was nice and outdoor area was good to look out at memorial. Odd elevator set up but overall worth it for a weekend.

Stayed March 2014
Dear HaphazardGourmet,

Thank you for your generous feedback about your recent stay at W New York - Downtown. I am glad to see that your overall experience was positive.

I hope you will consider coming to visit us again soon; as you note the terrace is a wonderful place to enjoy the view and we are getting ready to open our bar service out there for the summer, which sounds like something you may enjoy!

Please feel free to contact me directly anytime at 646.826.8600.

General Manger
Reviewed 22 March 2014 via mobile

My wife and I stayed in a cool corner room with fantastic view. Super friendly staff and great service made this stay perfect. We appreciated the extra attention we received from Mr Metrell on our anniversary. We will definitely come back next year. Veronica and Jan Erik

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Jan Erik J,

First, let me wish you a belated Happy Anniversary!

Thank you for sharing your experiences at W New York - Downtown. We appreciate you taking the time to give your valuable feedback and for acknowledging Metrell from our Welcome team. We strive to provide all of our guests with an exceptional and personalized experience and I am very happy to see that Metrell provided that to you.

I hope you will make coming to visit us an annual tradition; we at W love a celebration and hope to celebrate with you for many years to come.

Please feel free to contact me directly if you would like to discuss your stay further or if you find yourself coming to stay with us again in the future. I may be reached at 646.826.8600

Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 18 March 2014

The hotel seems like it has been renovated. Very clean and modern hotel. It is nice if you are going for shopping in 5th Avenue. There are quite a lot of places to eat around the area. I would recommend this hotel if you are into shopping in 5th Avenue!!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Dear 808Dream,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at W New York - Downtown. We are happy that you found our location accessible to your needs while in Manhattan.

We hope you will stay with us again the next time you find yourself in New York City.

Please feel free to contact me anytime if you would like to discuss your stay further at 646.826.8600.

washington, dc
Reviewed 17 March 2014

This hotel is located across the street from the new Liberty Tower. Rooms are small but nicely decorated and have all the things you need - great shower and bath amenities. Beautiful large windows overlooking the neighborhood. Very friendly staff!

1 Thank 1Brusters
Patrick H, General Manager at W New York - Downtown, responded to this review, 20 March 2014
Dear hotelmarketer,

Thank you so much for your review of your recent stay at W New York - Downtown!

I am so pleased to see that you enjoyed both our staff and our unique location. We are very proud of all that Lower Manhattan has to offer and it is wonderful to see that you were enjoyed our neighborhood.

I hope you will stay with us again the next time you find yourself in NYC!

Please do not hesitate to contact me directly at 646.826.8600 if you would like to discuss your past or future visits to the property.