“Our new favorite NY hotel!”

W New York - Downtown
Ranked #244 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Los Angeles, California
“Our new favorite NY hotel!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2014

I have stayed in New York several times, but moving forward the W Downtown will be my only destination of choice. I went to New York for a 4 day getaway and could not have picked a better location. We stayed on the 22nd or 21st floor in a corner room with a view of the Freedom Tower and it was AWESOME! The rooms were spacey (for New York) and the design was great. The staff was very personable and accommodating to all of our needs (Rafael and Erica are the best). I was bummed to leave, but next time I go back it will totally be here! Highly recommend!!!

Room Tip: Ask for the corner room facing the Freedom tower. The architecture design is amazing! :-)
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Patrick H, General Manager at W New York - Downtown, responded to this review, 2 May 2014
Dear Louson23,

Wow. I can't tell you how much it pleases me to see your feedback about your stay at W New York - Downtown. We strive to make our property the best place to stay and play in Lower Manhattan and I hope that we were able to meet that mark with you.

We cannot wait to welcome you back on your next trip to NYC. I hope we will see you during the summer once our Terrace has opened ... it is an amazing spot for a drink or bite to eat with the City lit up before you.

Again, your kind words mean the world to us.

Please contact me anytime at 646.826.8600 if you would like to provide any additional feedback for our team.

Patrick H.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (267)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2014

Sleek and modern new hotel with great rooms and a streamlined aesthetic. Very comfortable bed and linens. Lovely view of the former World Trade Center or New York skyline. Very short walk to four different subway stations, so the location is extremely convenient. Super friendly staff.

• Stayed April 2014
Dear Marshaklaw,

Thank you so much for your review about your stay at W New York - Downtown!

I am so please to see that you had an enjoyable experience and that our team was friendly and welcoming.

I hope you will stay with us again when you find yourself traveling to NYC!

If you would like to speak further about your stay, please contact me anytime at 646.826.8600.

London
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2014 via mobile

Distinctly underwhelmed by my stay at the W Downtown. My room was very tired, bumps and scrapes all over the walls. The towel rail fell off the wall, and other 'facilities' in the room were unfit for purpose.

On the plus side - the bed was comfortable.

Given the vast array of competing hotels in the city I have no compelling reason to return here, nor could I recommend the hotel.

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Dear NickiF,

Thank you so much for your valuable feedback. I am terribly sorry to see that your stay was not up to your or our standards and I would like to speak with you further.

I understand your reticence in returning to W New York - Downtown on your next trip to New York, but I hope that you will consider giving us a second chance.

Please call me at 646.826.8600 or email me at GMPatrick.Horstmann@whotels.com at your earliest convenience so that I can make sure your next stay with W exceeds expectations.

Arlington, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2014

Good location down by battery park and the freedom tower. Stayed for a long weekend with friends. Didn't try BLT on site but used the concierge to find good local places to eat nearby. It's a typical example of the W chain, urban/corporate/hip.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank 777_Andy
Dear 777_Andy,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review about your stay at W New York - Downtown.

I am glad to see that you had a nice experience and enjoyed our unique location Downtown.

We hope you will come back and stay with us again soon ... The Living Room Terrace will be opening shortly and it is one of the best spots in NYC for a cocktail outside.

Please feel free to contact me anytime if you would like to provide feedback about your experiences. I may be reached at 646.826.8600.

Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2014

I recently stayed for one weekend night while traveling in the area. The hotel is right up next to the WTC site and does have a lot of tourists milling about. I thought the rooms were a reasonable size for NYC, had nice bathrooms (similar to other W's) and the room was surprisingly filled with light because it looks out onto the WTC reflecting pools. The only downside was there were no valets or doorman present when we got there? (I'm guessing it was because it was a Saturday night?) No big deal because we each had only 1 small bag each but you do expect that in NYC hotels or any city for that matter. The hotel was conveniently located near where our friends live in Battery Park City, close to the water with walkways and bike paths (Citi bikes are for rent nearby). Also surprisingly quiet for a NYC hotel. We'd definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor overlooking the WTC site.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear SunSeekerMA,

Thank you so much for your review. I am happy to see that it was an overall good experience during your stay at W New York - Downtown. However, I have noted your feedback regarding the lack of a Door Ambassador on arrival. I will make sure to address this issue with our team.

I do hope you come back to see us soon!

Please feel free to call me anytime at 646.826.8600 if you would like to discuss your stay further.

New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2014

I was hesitant to stay downtown on a recent trip to NYC but prices are good downtown on the weekends and we love the W properties so we decided to go with the W downtown. (In fact the price was less than a Holiday Inn on the Lower East Side!) It was my first time at this particular hotel and it was a wonderful experience. We arrived very early on a red eye and they let us check in - THANK YOU - AND upgraded us! The room was super comfortable. The lobby and bar area are comfy and chic. The staff was very nice. And while this has nothing to do with the hotel, I realized how EASY it is to stay downtown! This property is close to almost every subway making it easy to access all of the places we needed to go. Downtown is pretty quiet at night, which was fine with us, but bustling with tourists during the day which was nice.

We recently moved away from NYC and our room overlooked the 9/11 memorial which is gorgeous and it was nice to be able to see it. It was a little strange that the bar - which gets busy with a DJ at night, thumping music, etc - also overlooks the memorial. All W's have an night time scene. I think people expect that from the brand. And there wasn't a noise issue because of it. It was just a bit peculiar as former New Yorkers to be in a disco atmosphere above the memorial.

My only complaint is almost too small to mention but is enormously important to me - there was no coffee maker in the room. I am a caffeine addict and I NEED a cup of coffee in the morning. I appreciate that they have free coffee in the lobby but I don't want to get dressed to go down and get my morning coffee. Many boutique hotels don't supply a coffee maker. However, the equally chic W in downtown San Francisco had one so I was disappointed not to have one.

But all in all a terrific stay & I would stay there again.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Alix S
Patrick H, General Manager at W New York - Downtown, responded to this review, 31 March 2014
Dear Alix S,

Thank you for giving us such detailed feedback about your stay at W New York - Downtown.

It pleases me to see that you embraced your Downtown adventure and saw all of the wonderful things that staying in Lower Manhattan can offer! It is easy to get around the City, but there are a lot of hidden gems right in our backyard. I hope you will come Downtown again so that we can show you some of the great local spots.

I do want to address you coffee maker question, because it should have been a simple fix. We are happy to provide our guests with coffee makers in the rooms as part of the Whatever/Whenever service promise. I am so sorry that this wasn't explained better to you when you first arrived.

Please contact us at winsider.wnydowntown@whotels.com with your name and SPG number and we will update your guest profile so that whenever you stay at a Starwood property we will know to have your coffee maker ready and waiting for you to start your day!

If you would like to discuss your stay further, please feel free to contact me directly at 646.826.8600.

General Mangaer
Hebron, Connecticut
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2014 via mobile

Very odd misses on my visit. The room service menu was out of date and both items I tried to order were no longer available. The TV remote was missing from the room. After reporting the incorrect menu, returned the next night to find the compendium was missing totally from the room. The room temperature remained very cold and the thermostat did not appear to adjust correctly the first night. To be fair, each time an issue was reported, the front desk was apologetic and engineering was quick to arrive with the missing items. The desk was empowered to offer credit against in room dining charges and the hotel manager was able to offer Starwood points in exchange for the inconvenience. But with that said, when you're looking at nearly $1,000 for two night's stay these kinds of misses in succession can't happen. This stay was for business. I'm not sure on my next trip whether I will stay at the W again, or simply move a half a block over to Club Quarters where the rate would have been substantially lower and these types of gaps would have been less annoying.

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Dear kjwcpm,

Thank you for your valuable feedback. I realize that you have spoken to several of the Managers on property both prior to and after your review, but I would love to speak with you directly about your stay.

If you would like to discuss further, I may be reached at 646.826.8600.