“Good choice for Downtown”

W New York - Downtown
Ranked #238 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 23 April 2014

This hotel has a great location if you plan to stay around downtown most of your trip, which was our case. It can get a little tiresome to keep going daily to midtown and uptown, I imagine. Access to subways are easy, but taxis can be hard to find during rush hour. There are plenty of restaurants, stores and tourist attractions around.

This has the vibe of other W properties, which means modern decor, loud lobby music at night and an upscale feel. You won't be disappointed if you enjoyed other W properties, but don't expect anything too different.

The room was small, but very decent sized for NY standards. Our room had no maintenance issues, the bed was comfortable, the shower was great and the view from 9/11 memorial was fantastic. We used the connections panel provided for the TV and it worked perfectly, easy to set up and it was a welcome addition. One issue was that the walls were on the thin side, so we could sometimes hear the room next door.

There is no free wi-fi in the room (which is always a drag), but at least there is access in the lobby (5th floor), which is more than I can say about some other properties. It's also nice to have water and coffee at the lobby as well.

This would have been a clean review, but poor service cost the hotel one star. The staff was nice and efficient for routine tasks (check-in/out, housekeeping), but we had 2 issues during our 3-night stay of employees making no effort to be helpful (concierge and bell man), on simple requests that took 5 minutes for me to solve after I decided to do it myself. It seemed that if something deviated slightly from their routine duties, it was greeted with an unwelcome attitude.

If I plan to go back downtown I will probably consider the W again, but I do believe the concierge service can be more accommodating.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Patrick H, General Manager at W New York - Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 24 April 2014

Dear AstroJunq,

Thank you so much for taking the time to provide us with such detailed feedback about your recent stay.

We are glad that your overall experience was positive and that you enjoyed all of the attributes of our unique location. We are very proud to be part of the Lower Manhattan community and all that it has to offer.

I am however very disappointed that we did not deliver our Whatever/Whenever service promise to you on a few of your interactions. I would love to hear more details about those experiences so that we can address them with our team and provide them with detailed areas of opportunity. If you would like, please phone me anytime at 646.826.8600 and we can discuss further.

I hope that you will consider staying with us again the next time your find yourself in New York. It would be my pleasure to welcome you back and ensure that we exceed your expectations.

Reviewed 23 April 2014

Very funky hotel - situated right next to the 9/11 memorial - so you get views of the queues all day. Situated in the heart of the financial district, its OK, but we seemed to spend our time in taxis going back and forth to mid town, Soho and Greenwich.

Very small rooms but well appointed - although there is barely space in the showeroom for toiletries. The only mirror is in the bathroom, which makes getting ready a challenge for two people (showering, make up, hair drying etc).

We had a coffee maker in our room (complimentary) but the promised refills weren't there every day and we were constantly asking for these to be brought up.

Drinks generally expensive as you would imagine.

Can't help thinking we might have benn better off in another hotel with a larger room.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Patrick H, General Manager at W New York - Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 2 May 2014

Dear Flyingpasty,

I am sorry to see that your experience at W New York - Downtown did not exceed your expectations.

I would love to speak to your further so that I can better understand how we can improve our guest experiences. In addition, I hope you will consider giving us another chance to improve your impression of our location.

I may be reached at 646.826.8600 and hope to speak with you soon.

Reviewed 22 April 2014

Date of visit: Sunday, 20 April

Location: Literally across the street from the World Trade Center site, walkable to Battery Park

Looks: A little "weird" that check-in is actually on the 5th floor, so there isn't a welcoming lobby in the traditional sense. The interior is dark and sexy like other W's.

Amenities: You walk right into the Living Room bar, which has a very inviting terrace with ample seating to enjoy the outdoor air. One couch in the corner is set against the high-rise brick exterior, which provides a great photo opportunity. I did not get a chance to sample a cocktail, but the bartender kindly greeted me as I walked by.

Room: Whereas the W in Union Square had a more serious look with their reptilian-skin textures, the W in Downtown reminded me a bit of South Beach, or the newly designed Tropicana in Vegas -- a glossy, white canvas with splashes of red. It gave a very cooling effect (which was probably more due to the a/c that had been turned up), and I liked it a lot on that very warm day. I enjoyed the view of the 1 WTC from my room.

Verdict: A true "W Hotel" in terms of minimalist decor, but less of a see-and-be-seen vibe (there were plenty of families with kids in the lobby for a Sunday). I'd recommend it as a great place to stay, esp if you want to do the ferry to Ellis Island. Can't imagine an extended stay here though (for a tourist) as there is not much in the way of attractions.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo

Dear WheresDuy,

Thank you so much for your incredibly detailed review and feedback of W New York - Downtown. I know that we and our future guests appreciate you taking the time to chronicle your experiences.

I do hope that you will come back to visit us again soon.

If you would like to discuss this most recent stay or any future stay, please call me anytime at 646.826.8600.

Reviewed 18 April 2014

It was my and my husband's first stay in W Downtown in March and it was awesome. The location was great - just steps away from great restaurants and a quick drive to midtown. We also got to the hotel within a 25-min drive from the airport, even tho we landed at midnight so there was less traffic.

The service was good. What made our stay was actually the super comfortable bed. The washroom was a bit small, but the most important was that it was clean and up to standard. We would definitely come back.

• Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank csbabiesan

Dear Csbabiesan,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experiences at W New York - Downtown.

We are very proud of our location and all that Lower Manhattan has to offer and it is wonderful to see that you found some of our neighborhood gems.

I hope to welcome you back soon!

If you would like to further discuss your most recent or any future stay please contact me anytime at 646.826.8600.

Reviewed 15 April 2014

Great experience. Stayed with friends for one night. Beautiful, immaculate room overlooking Freedom Tower. Considerate and helpful staff. With the DJ playing techno, the bar was chic and had the atmosphere of a club. Will certainly look forward to staying again.

• Stayed: March 2014

Dear Twinkie45,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences at W New York - Downtown. It is wonderful to see that you enjoyed both the hotel and Lower Manhattan during your stay.

We look forward to welcoming your back and hope you can come this summer to take advantage of our wonderful Terrace Bar! It is truly a wonderful place to sit and soak up in the City.

If you would like to speak further about your most recent or any future stays, please feel free to contact me directly at 646.826.8600.

Reviewed 15 April 2014 via mobile

We went to nyc for a friend's wedding. My girls friend and I got lucky and had a chance to see nyc with a great weather, very sunny.
The view of the room was facing the freedom tower, never construction still but we a few visit spots open for visit.
We had a chance to see it from above at all different times and if u like ppl watching on the streets it's definitely very cool.
Besides that, u r surrounded by architecture from all different times of nyc. Very impressive.
The service was good and the bathrooms and bedroom were great. Nyc rooms are never too big, specially the bathrooms. This bathroom was very spacious and the shower was pretty nice.
The staff was very helpful and we were treated as guest!
We really enjoyed our time there

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Joao D,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experiences a W New York - Downtown.

We are very proud of our unique location and pleased that you were able to enjoy the views and some of the interesting aspects of Lower Manhattan.

I hope you will come back and visit us soon!

Please feel free to call me anytime to discuss your experience or to provide more feedback at 646.826.8600.

Reviewed 15 April 2014

I have stayed in New York several times, but moving forward the W Downtown will be my only destination of choice. I went to New York for a 4 day getaway and could not have picked a better location. We stayed on the 22nd or 21st floor in a corner room with a view of the Freedom Tower and it was AWESOME! The rooms were spacey (for New York) and the design was great. The staff was very personable and accommodating to all of our needs (Rafael and Erica are the best). I was bummed to leave, but next time I go back it will totally be here! Highly recommend!!!

Room Tip: Ask for the corner room facing the Freedom tower. The architecture design is amazing! :-)