“Meets W Brand's High Standard”

W New York - Downtown
Ranked #245 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Rochester, New York
“Meets W Brand's High Standard”
Reviewed 30 May 2014

Location is excellent for downtown: immediately south of the WTC reflecting pools/memorial.

Very dramatic lobby - pure W.

Good restaurant - particularly for a hotel, of any level.

Typically excellent service for Ws.

Rooms are reasonably large - for NYC. This is not a W or even Starwood issue, it's a NYC issue. You don't stay in NYC if you're looking for a huge room, unless you're willing to pay very large sums of money. This W's rooms are appropriately-sized for NYC, even on the generous side.

One thing to note: you enter on the street level, take an elevator to the 5th floor, which is where the lobby is. Then switch to a different elevator bank to get to the rooms. That's sub-optimal and can be confusing at first. It's not a major grievance, though.

Personal impression: I am Starwood gold, and I am in downtown NYC frequently for work. This is my go-to hotel for those instances. It has never let me down, and I have no plans to stop using it.

Room Tip: If you're there to see the WTC site, then ask for a room overlooking it. I was just in room 190...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Patrick H, General Manager at W New York - Downtown, responded to this review, 5 June 2014
Hello There nmhen,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your experience at W Downtown. We appreciate your detailed feedback and am delighted to hear you have no plans to stop visiting us. As a Gold Starwood Preferred Guest your loyalty is most valuable to us and we look forward to providing you with many more enjoyable stays at W Downtown New York.

Should you wish to contact us for any assistance at all please don't hesitate to reach out on 646 826 8600.

Warm Regards,

Patrick H.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (269)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Chalfont, Pennsylvania, USA
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Stayed here for business. It has a cool vibe - a party atmosphere at night in the bar which I liked after a long tiring day. Upon arriving the staff were very helpful and courteous. You can see the difference the extra effort makes. When I finally returned around 9:30pm to check into my room on my way to the elevator someone stopped in his tracks to welcome me, offer assistance on anything and gave me his name (which I forgot unfortunately due to fatigue) and offered I could call for him and he will be able to help. The only slight bummer was the bar / restaurant closed a bit early that night. The place was a little slow so I don't blame them but again the staff was the difference but not so great in this situation. This time the hostess station was crowded with 2 or 3 people chatting and once I was finally greeted I was told they were kind of closing early. It wasn't a big deal and in the end I had a great meal at a Mexican restaurant a short walk from the hotel. It was Cinco de Mayo after all and service for one at 10pm on a Monday was not a problem. That place was SouthWest NY. I believe it was the chef or the late night cook (i.e. a chef but not by name or pay) who took such pride in delivering the meal to me and checking in to see if everything was ok. I was a table of 1 in a large restaurant and I immediately felt like I was in the corner of someone's house. Which is why I titled this review as I did.

In the end I thoroughly enjoyed the W and the modern layout and design. Besides it has spectacular views of the 9/11 memorial.

Hello There jjkirby,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your most recent experience at W Downtown New York, we are happy to hear you thoroughly enjoyed your stay along with the modern layout and design. Your comments in regards to the staff certainly speak nothing but the truth as this is what we feel is most important when providing service to our guests and I am delighted you experienced this first hand.

In regards to your comments about the bar closing early, we apologize you were forced to go elsewhere, your comments have been shared with the team and we hope on your next visit you will stop by so we can provide you with the relaxing evening you were looking for at the Living Room Bar and Terrace.

Please do not hesitate to reach out to us on your next visit or if there is anything else we can assist you with I can be contacted at 646 826 8600.

Thank you again for your feedback, we look forward to welcoming you back jjkirby!

Warm Regards,

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

I am in the US visiting my family for a month and their home is in Westchester New York. During my month home, I needed to find a wedding dress as I am getting married in five months and decided to make it a girls weekend with my Mom in NYC.

I booked through my SPG account and chose the W Downtown as my wedding is actually being held in October 2014 at The W Bali!

I requested a very early check-in as we had many appointments and they were able to get us right into a room and we were off on our wedding dress hunt!

We were lucky enough to find the perfect dress and headed back in the late afternoon to The W Downtown to freshen up for drinks and dinner.

We loved the Living Room bar and it was really wonderful for me to see the trade center re-built. We are a New York family and hadn't been downtown to that area and the views from the Living Room were really lovely.

Overall, it was a fantastic experience, my only downside was I didn't realize there was no Bliss Spa! I live for their facials when I am home as in Singapore, where I am based now, there is no Bliss!

My girlfriends are throwing me a Bachelorette Night this coming Friday and we will be staying once again overnight at your hotel and I'm looking forward to another fabulous W experience!

Stayed May 2014
Dear Joanna N,

Thank you so much for your review of your recent experiences at W New York - Downtown!

I am so happy to see that you, your friend and your family were able to have an enjoyable (and successful!) trip to New York City. Thank you for choosing us for such a special and momentous occasion.

I hope you will consider staying with us again - perhaps for an anniversary celebration? - sometime in the near future.

Congratulations and Best Wishes on your pending nuptials!

Newtown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 28 May 2014

We stayed here for the 5 Boro Bike NY weekend and found the hotel to exceed all of our needs and expectations. It was modern and super clean with a very attentive staff. The rooms were fresh and clean and were a good size by NY standards. They had plenty of space for us to spread out during our stay with our 2 children. Yes, it sits DIRECTLY across from the 911 memorial which brings lots of tourists, but I didn't find it overwhelming as most are just queued up waiting to get in so its not like a mob scene. In fact, the extra tourists and bit of construction keep the car and taxi traffic away from the hotel which adds to the overall experience. The hotel is conveniently located to bike paths and can easily walk to a wide variety of restaurants.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Matt K
Patrick H, General Manager at W New York - Downtown, responded to this review, 4 June 2014
Dear Matt K,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback about your stay at W New York - Downtown.

I am so pleased to see that you had a good experience and I hope that you will come back to visit us again soon.

There is actually no longer a queue in front for the Memorial right outside our front door and the crowds have definitely abated since the change.

If you would like to speak further about this or any future stay please contact me anytime at 646.826.8600.

Newburyport, Massachusetts
Reviewed 27 May 2014

We recently stayed at the W for a wedding and enjoyed our stay. One of the nice things about the W is you can count on their consistency- comfortable beds, great coffee in the morning and a beautiful hotel- all very true about the W in Downtown NYC. The only consideration of this hotel is the location- it sits right next to the beautiful and moving 911 memorial, however this also means there is a ton of tourists and a lot of construction going on. I really enjoyed looking out at the Freedom Tower and visiting the memorial and there's a great deck off the main floor where you can enjoy coffee or a cocktail and look out at the ongoing project and what's been built. It's also a great location to check out the Brooklyn Bridge. Overall, great hotel and stay!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Cynd113,

Thank you so much for your review of W New York - Downtown! I am pleased to see that your overall experiences lived up to the W service promise.

To let you know, the entrance to the 9/11 Memorial is no longer directly in front of our property and while there are still quite a few tourists visiting the neighborhood, it doesn't feel as overwhelming right when you come out of the hotel.

I hope you will come back to visit us again soon!

If you would like to provide any further feedback I may be reached at 646.826.8600.

Houston, Texas
Reviewed 25 May 2014

W New York-Downtown delivers the typically strong W Hotel experience you would expect from a really great downtown location. Rooms are well done but like most in NYC are a bit smaller than you would see in other cities. The views of ground zero and the new Freedom Tower are excellent - especially on the upper floors. The hotel was totally sold out the nights I was there (which apparently occurs frequently), but it did not feel crowded, and the staff took the time to connect with you. It is very easy walking or jogging distance to Wall Street and to the tourist attractions in and around Battery Park. Although there are several good restaurants within walking distance, I ate breakfast at the hotel and found it to be very good. The food and service were both excellent although pricy for what you got (typical of most high end hotels). The atmosphere was a nice blend of adult social and business. While the downtown location is good, it is a pretty fair distance from the tourist machine of Times Square, and cab rides can take awhile if there is a lot of traffic. If Times Square and Midtown are your primary destination or if you are traveling with a group that is focusing on family activities, you might want to consider either a single night at this hotel or a more family focused hotel further north. The W Hotel staff is friendly and is genuinely interested in making sure things work well for you and that you want to come back. All in all - a good place to stay. I would come back if I was in the area.

Room Tip: ADA rooms have a shower curtain that allows the bathroom to flood. Unless you have a need for ADA a...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Tom C
Dear clarktom,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a detailed review of your experiences at W New York - Downtown.

We strive to exceed our guests' expectations and I am pleased to see that we were able to hit that mark with you during your trip.

Please let me know if you would like to discuss this or any future stays ... we would love to welcome you back!

Reviewed 24 May 2014

A really excellent experience. The room is new, fresh and room 2208 is a corner room with an amazing view on the memorial site.
The room has a carpet which was still new, also there is no Nespresso machine.
The breakfast is lousy and the service extremely slow. The fitness is small but good.

Dear Go100go,

Thank you so much for your feedback. I am happy to see that overall your experiences at W New York - Downtown were positive.

I can assure you that I will address the issues you experienced at the restaurant with the appropriate people to ensure that both the service and product are up to standards.

Please call me at 646.826.8600 if you would like to speak further about your stay.