“W Downtown was a great choice and price”

Ranked #243 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Nevada
“W Downtown was a great choice and price”
Reviewed 17 June 2014

I stayed at the W Downtown with my daughter - we asked for a quiet room and early check in and were accommodated. The only down side of the quiet room was a terrible view of a vacant building. We had a corner King - 814 I think. It was quiet and we needed sleep. It is also across the street from the new WTC Memorial. I highly recommend a visit to the site. There are many restaurants and things to do from this location.

The only problem is the entrance is actually on Albany not Washington so your drivers or gps will have a hard time getting there.

We had a great price - less than $300. Memorial Day weekend. The staff is very nice.
The hotel cafe has good food but the service is excruciatingly slow. Do not eat there if you are pushed for time. The staff was nice - not sure why the delay - had a feeling the kitchen was very far from the restaurant??

Overall - would absolutely stay here again. The room was very clean. The bed was comfortable. The bathrooms were clean and nice.

Room Tip: I would ask for a higher room because the patio deck - I think on level 5 - can get noisy. We were...
Green Features: They had a green program in place but I was so tired I did not pay much attention to it.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank hooverdam4
Temara E, Director of Rooms at W New York - Downtown, responded to this review, 3 July 2014
Hello There hooverdam4,

Thank you for taking the time to share feedback from your most recent experience with your daughter at W Downtown – New York. Your comments allow us to identify areas of opportunity so we are very grateful you shared these with us in such detail.

We apologize the service you experienced in the Café was not up to usual speed, I assure you this is not the norm so the feedback has certainly been shared amongst the team. Despite this I am glad the staff you encountered was friendly and helpful and overall you both had a pleasant stay.

I would love for you to contact me directly at 646 826 8610 so we can be sure your preferences are captured against your profile so the next stay we can prepare in advance for a room that meets all your wishes!

Hooverdam4 we look forward to welcoming you back, thanks again for your feedback.

Warm regards,

Temara E
Director of Rooms

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (272)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Great locatin - I was there to visit my daughter who lives in the city. This was my first stay at this location. Check-in was perfect and the room was very clean. I however was most impressed with the staff of this hotel. I work in the hotel business and am I am in tune to customer service. The staff was always always ready to assist myself and my friend and always with a smile on their face. The two most impressive employees were Michell Chang, The Welcome Talent Coach.

Anne Engel

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Hello there Ms. Engel –

Thank you so much for your review. We do our best to make sure that our experiences are top notch – for your arrival to your departure – we are here to help. Our welcome desk talent aims to make sure that we create experiences just like yours and I am so thrilled to see we did that. We have to agree that they are pretty great, especially Michelle.

I am glad to hear that you loved your room as well. From our Wonderful Rooms to our Extreme Wow Suites, our styling team carefully prepares our rooms with the goal of creating lasting impressions similar to yours. I am so happy to see we accomplished this goal.

Ms. Engel, we look forward to welcoming you back to lower Manhattan for another fantastic experience in the future. If we can help with anything, please do not hesitate to contact me directly at 646-826-8610.

W New York – Downtown
North Bay Village, Florida
Reviewed 17 June 2014 via mobile

I went to the w for my b day and it was very good experience , the hotel is nice and clean, very good music in the lobby section . They gave me in a really nice room like I asked in the 20th floor and right in the corner w amazing view to the 9/11 memorial . The concierge (I don't now her name) es really nice since the first day she gave me a list w places to visit. I recommend to everybody go there .

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Hello there Gfb0927

Happy belated Birthday! Thanks for taking the time to share your experience at W New York – Downtown. From our Ultra-Cool Corner Rooms to our Living Room with live DJ, I am excited you experienced what W New York – Downtown is all about.

I have to agree that our dedicated concierge team, Nicole and Teela, are awesome. I will be sure to share your kind words with them. They are experts in navigating our lower Manhattan neighborhood and I am excited to hear they helped you in picking out some great places to explore.

We look forward to welcoming you back to our Hotel in the future for more experiences that we know you will love. If I can help with anything in the future, please do not hesitate to contact me directly at 646-826-8610.

We hope to see you soon!

Berne
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Great location downtown N Y C. CLEAN MODERN HOTEL. Helpful doorman Chris.
Within walking distance of Reflecting Memorial pools of Trade Center. Lots of food establishments and bars, great walking along Hudson.
Recommend to tourists for ages 27-50. Bar with disco on 5th floor concierge.
Safe area, reception Andrew efficient and friendly.Generally great staff ready to receive guests of property.
Suggest that staff bring themselves up to date on subway system in area of property.

Room Tip: No comment
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Temara E, Director of Rooms at W New York - Downtown, responded to this review, 4 July 2014
Hello there Govt541!

Thank you so very much for the review of your stay here at W New York – Downtown. We love how you were able to enjoy all areas of our Hotel. From our Living Room Bar with live music and great views of the World Trade Center to enjoying the surrounding Lower Manhattan area, you are right, there is truly something for all to enjoy.

We are glad that you enjoyed the feel of our Hotel and felt the staff are ready to receive our guests. Thank you for mentioning the directions of the subway system as an area for improvement. We will work to share more information on the system to prevent any mishaps from happening in the future.

Should your travels have you back in the City again, please do not hesitate to contact me directly. I am happy to assist in any way that I can. Please feel free to contact me directly at 646-826-8610.

Best,

Mwanza, Tanzania
Reviewed 16 June 2014 via mobile

spent six nights at this property. loved the hotel facilities. great gym, lively bar and all the staff are always ready to help with a smile.

location is within a stones throw of central park, times square and some of the world's best shopping...you can't really ask for a better place to be!

rooms were clean and beds were very comfortable. great choice in tv channels. We had upgraded our room however it was barely bigger than a match box. bathrooms are also very tiny and need a refurb...everything works and is clean but they are quite outdated.

If you are going to soak in the sights and sounds of new york all day and need a very comfortable bed and a good hotel then this is for you! However if you are looking for large hotel rooms etc this is not somewhere I'd recommend. All in all I can't fault anything on this property other than the room size (which is due to the fact it's an older building...)

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Hello there kunal16!

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your most recent stay with us at W New York – Downtown. I am excited to read that your stay was overall exceptional. I am excited to hear you were able to take full advantage of our location and enjoy New York City’s finest attractions.

We take great pride in providing our guest’s experiences they love. Our talent do all they can to connect with our guests and I am happy to hear of the impression they left.

When your travels bring you to New York again, please contact me so I may personally assist in selecting the room for you. We will make sure you enjoy all W New York – Downtown has to offer and the room is comfortable in size. I can be reached directly at 646-826-8610 and I look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 9 June 2014

we went to NY for a 30th birthday party. Never stayed at this particular W.I was moving to fast and reserved the wrong room but It was quickly resolved he was trying to charge me an additional 40$ a night but after an adamant No he quickly "upgraded" the room for us and it was great!!! They served wine at check in

The Room was clean bed was supper comfortable house keeping was great she offered to come back we forgot to move some jeans off the bed and she was kind enough to move and fold them to make the bed she changed the sheets as well seeing how I spilled coffee and to my surprise she seen it and took care of it. No complainants.

the concierge was super helpful he gave us great directions so that I could get a nice birthday gifts. The world trade center attraction was not open to the public but Its great proximity to the hotel. the room was

Room Tip: We had a corner room so it had 2 large windows nice and sunny with seating and thick shades so we wa...
Green Features: I loved that you had to put you key card in a slot to activated the light so that the lights were not left on. use only what you need once you remove the key the lights shut off.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Hello there nicolen554!

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review of your most recent visit with us at W New York – Downtown. I am happy to hear that we were able to resolve any troubles with the room type during your arrival. The extra light and window seats make our Ultra-Cool Corner Rooms one of our most popular rooms types, it’s great to hear that you too enjoyed it.

Thank you for the shout out to our styling team. They take great pride in their work and in taking care of our guests. We will be sure to share your comments with them. Our concierge team are true ambassadors of Lower Manhattan and I am glad that they could assist with the presents.

When you return to New York, please feel free to contact me so I can personally assist with your reservation. I can be reached at 646-826-8610. From all of us at W New York – Downtown, we look forward to having you with us again soon.

Reviewed 7 June 2014 via mobile

Great location, impressive design and concept, But ...very little recognition is given to SPG Platinum members. Don't expect significant room up grade and the hotel do not participatpe in the SPG suite night award though they market on their web site two types of suits. Hotel is poorly managed. From my personal experience do not count too much on promises given by the hotel staff ( including the hotel manager himself!). We booked a room to celebrate our anniversary. I am heavy traveller and SPG Platinum member for 13 years. I dropped a line to the hotel asking to take into account that it is our anniversary and appreciate best service etc. Got nice replies but when checked in the room was served for one, was not cleaned properly and had smoke smell from previous guest. Was given room on a relatively low floor and no significant up grade was made.
If you need to be in the area, do not have a better alternative or get yourself a room at a promotional rate you may consider staying here but otherwise go elsewhere and save yourself a lot of aggravation. For SPG elite members - there are better Starwood options around NYC which valued our loyalty and one may enjoy the full scale of benefit offered to SPG Members.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Leviha
Hello there Leviha,

I am so sorry for the disappointment you experienced during your stay with us. We are limited on the suites that we do have in the building(three total) but we should have been able to create an outstanding experience for you and we did not succeed, and for that, I am so very sorry.

If you could please contact me at 646-826-8610, as I would love to discuss this further and find a way to make this right for you. We truly value our Starwood Preferred Guests and am saddened to hear this impression was not received.

I look forward to speaking with you soon,