“Unless you love pounding jack hammers and techno music this is a terrible hotel.”

W New York - Downtown
Ranked #239 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed 7 November 2010

This hotel is directly across from the WTC building site so the jack hammers work from 7:30am till dark every day except Sunday. The WTC project is about 4 years from completion.
The hotel believes in loud techno music and uncomfortable seating everywhere in the hotel. The staff said this was a W "soft opening", we thought it a "hard opening".
Rooms were tiny but the site across the street at least interesting! Beds were good and staff tried to be helpful but nothing quite worked from our heating unit to our friends' safe.
Lots of money for a hotel that fell short of what it should be!!!

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with friends
2 Thank travelerpdx38

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (278)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
New York City, New York
Reviewed 5 November 2010

I stay several weeks per year in New York. Discovering this new W-hotel last week was a pleasant surprise. The hotel is located close to 3 subway lines (1, R, 4+5 are within three blocks from the hotel), and very close to the ferry lines.

The people at this W exceed expectations, both in efficiency and genuine friendliness. The staff in the hotel is among the best I have encountered in my recent stays in similar hotels. They are friendly in a very genuine way. They made me feel at home from the moment I arrived here.

When I stayed here last week, some construction work at ground zero was taking place, but none of it affected the rest during the night. In day time, one can hear the noise of the workers, but not interfering with normal life.

The room I stayed in is very spacious, has lots of light and is - in W style - very nicely decorated. The hotel itself has a very cozy atmosphere. The lobby on the 5th floor is designed to create this great W-atmosphere.

The Sweat/workout has all equipment for a complete workout, and the BLT bar at the ground floor attracts not only hotel guests but locals from the nearby Battery Park as well. Great atmosphere: try the lobster ravioli!

To be short: I will be happy to stay here again any time soon.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled on business
New York City
Reviewed 2 November 2010

I stayed at the W New York Downtown this weekend with my husband. We wanted to get away for the night without the kids and had not been to this hotel in NYC yet. I had heard about it through some articles and was excited to have the opportunity to try it!
When I checked in I was completely wowed by the decor of the hotel. The lobby design was really unique, especially the arched ceiling made of light.
The front desk staff was very accomodating and they gave us a lot of information about the hotel services, including the restaurant BLT, which we tried for brunch and loved!
Our room was very nice and it was great to stay at a hotel that was so new.
We went out in lower manhattan for dinner and the doorman was very accomodating in helping us get a cab. There is still a lot of construction going on near ground zero, but it was very quiet in the room and during the weekend it was relatively quiet around the outside of the hotel.

Overall, I would recommend this hotel, especially if you want to be in downtown New York.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 2 November 2010

If you want to see the amazing progress on the memorials and new buildings at Ground Zero, the new W in downtown Manhattan is the place. It's located right behind the Deutsche Bank building, which is nearly down, so the views into the heart of the construction will soon be amazing. The hotel is fun - good restaurant and bar and work out facility. We were able to arrange a free ride to the west Village for dinner from a joint promotion with the W and Acura. We normally stay in midtown when visiting, but the new W exposed us to new restaurants and sites we normally don't visit. A very enjoyable trip.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 1 November 2010

Just spent the weekend in NY and stayed at the W Downtown. This hotel looks to the future - towards the completion of the World Trade Center and surrounding buildings and memorials. Once complete, I have no doubt the W downtown will be full to the brim with the hipster crowd downtown.

It's only fair to disclose that the hotel looks over the World Trade Center construction site. This is not something the hotel has any control over but be aware that notwithstanding the hotel's best efforts to insulate the rooms, there is an audible amount of construction noise. I didn't notice any noise at night, but I only stayed over the weekend.

OK - with that caveat, the rest of the review is entirely favorable. The coolest thing about check-in is the amazing lobby and light installation in the 5th floor lounge. It really transports you to another place and says you have arrived somewhere very special.
The rooms were a nice size for NY - king size bed and the usual fabulous Bliss products. No bathtub, but it's not expected in NY where every square inch of the room has a functional purpose. The interior is super cool with white leather headboards and banquettes by the window, and very innovate and chic cabinetry which serves multiple purposes including desk, safe, closet, TV wall, bar fridge among a dozen other things while retaining a very sleek feel.

The workout room is signature W and very well equipped, and the hotel bar and lobby areas are really cool. This hotel is recommended and will only improve with time and completion of the World Trade Center projects.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled solo
North Massapequa, New York
Reviewed 19 October 2010

My husband and I stayed here for my birthday weekend. The location is spectacular, with the downtown going through a renewal period. There is so much to see and do we never had to walk more than a few blocks for anything. The staff and management at the hotel were always available for any questions we had, Jason was especially kind, and we were very happy with everything at the hotel. The rooms are a bit on the small side, but that is what you get when staying in NYC. The beds were very comfortable and the gym is amazingly well equipped (I was very impressed with the gym and the fact that they don't charge extra to use it). The other extra touches like coffee in the morning, water and pressed cider in the afternoons were really nice as well.

I will absolutely be staying at this hotel again, and if they do put a park on the site of the old Deutche Bank Building the views of the WTC memorial and Freedom Tower are going to be unbeatable. We may have to bring our kids next time (or maybe not).

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 17 October 2010

New York is said to be the City that never sleeps. Unfortunately at W-Downtown in our recent stay, sleeping was not an option. Construction noise was running at in excess of 80 decibels inside our guest room. On a number of nights construction noise ran until well after midnight, on the day we were checking out (which incidentally was a Saturday) construction noise began around 7.30am, which I guess was to be expected given that it had started at that time for the remainder of our stay.

Half way through our stay I complained about the noise, the staff were courteous and apologetic and offered us another room. A room which would have been far too small, and did not appear to offer additional benefits with the exception of being on the side of the building and not facing Ground Zero.

On the second last day of our stay, a voicemail came through at 10.04am (according to the message) to advise us that there would be no hot water in the hotel between 10am through to 4pm. I called Whatever Whenever (the Concierge Desk), to be advised that they did not know when hot water would be back on, and they would contact the company who had the gas off, hardly the pro-active response I would have expected from representatives of a Starwood hotel.

Apart from the above, the hotel is new, has very nice and spacious rooms, with the exception of the side room that we were offered as an alternative, and has all the amenities you would expect in a W. I expect that the W Downtown will age fairly quickly given the white interiors, and I noticed in the room we were staying in, dirty black marks which had not been cleaned off, and some of the linen was already showing wear, particularly the towels.

As you would appreciate I was extremely disappointed at the above inconveniences during our stay, particularly given that I had made it clear to the Starwood agent who had taken my booking that we would be on vacation, and we stayed in the hotel for 9 nights. My personal opinion is that Starwood either should not have opened this hotel, until the Dueche Bank building has been completely demolished (which the W’s staff told me would not be before at least the end of the year), or should be warning potential guests of the possible inconvenience, something they certainly did not do with me, although the manager on duty when I made further complaints on the day before we left told me he would ensure that happened in the future, something I will believe when I hear it with my own ears!

All in all a very disappointing experience, and Starwood’s response has been to “gift me” points which I can redeem for a night’s accommodation. It hardly makes up for 9 very sleep disturbed nights, where we paid good money to stay in what should be a lovely hotel. I have stayed in Starwood hotels in at least seven different countries, all of our prior experiences have been positive in their hotels.

I have never provided feedback such as this on a website previously. I provide this summary as a warning to potential guests of the W Downtown, so that they can make an informed decision before they commit to staying in this hotel.

I should also add that I have passed on this feedback to the General Manager of the hotel in question some two weeks ago, she promised a response within three days, despite two follow up’s and two weeks passing no response has been received. Undoubtedly, indicative of what you can expect at the hotel.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple