“Not really in the middle of the action”

Four Points by Sheraton Midtown - Times Square
Ranked #171 of 467 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
chicago
“Not really in the middle of the action”
Reviewed 19 August 2014

When you search for a hotel in the Times Square region, apparently, it's a five mile radius. This hotel was really kind of far from the center of the action. Which, I'm fine with but the street that it's located on is apparently, still living in the 70s, before the cleanup. There is a liquor store at the end of the block next to a peep show/video store. Not the nicest block around. The room was fine, but the shower was really hard to work. The shower kept shutting off, reverting back to the tub. The room was kind of humid and musty. Overall, clean, but pretty small, which I guess is normal in this area. The staff was all very friendly. A decent place, but not my first pick for this area.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Mei S
Jturano1, General Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Midtown - Times Square, responded to this review, 25 August 2014
Thank you for providing your review. The heart of Times Square is considered 43rd Street and 7th Avenue. Technically we are located 0.6 miles from the center which would be a 6 minute walk. Though our street tends to be one of the busier blocks from all walks of life due to the bus terminal, I can assure you it is also one of the safest, due to an increased police presence as well as security.

I am glad that the rest of your stay was great and that you found our service to be great. We look forward to possibly showing you how much better we can be.

Joseph

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (413)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Reviewed 17 August 2014

I really did not expect to be back in the US for the second time in the same year. Only this time for business. Had my LA leg sorted but had never been to NYC before so for that I basically did a postcode search based on the appointments I had as I needed to be in the NYC Garments District and came across Four Points. Was happy to see if was a Sheraton hotel, reviews were all positive, the online rates were great in comparison to other hotels of similar standing in Times Square so the deal was done

The room itself was a big notch up from my expectations ie it seemed much bigger than I had imagined - had read reviews of few hotels and was under the impression that rooms tend to be on the smaller side in hotels in the Times Square area. A VERY pleasant surprise. Great lighting, huge bed, great desk, awesome internet speed and multi devise free wifi, very conveniently placed and abundant power points, coffee making facility, the BEST bathroom exhaust system I've ever seen - this may sound like an irrelevant point but seriously have stayed at hotels in high rises and after a shower encountered almost half an hour sometimes of steamy mirrors - not the case here at all. Location was unbeatable as you're right in the middle of everything

The totally unexpected was the little personable touches in the middle of crazy Times Square - you enter the hotel and see cards/notes from the General Manager Joseph with his personal email address and personal cell that you can contact should you have a problem or concern. And it's not a facade either. He's everywhere. You see him around all the time attending to this and that. So definitely a feel good. And then there is the complimentary pink lemonade in the evening in the lobby, complimentary and mouth watering delicious cup cakes every evening for the guests, awesome and very attentive staff making sure alls going no less than great - and oh those Wednesdays - free BBQ and drinks by their in house 'Gotham' restaurant - yummy and the GM attends as well!!

Out of this world staff - Isaiah Morris at guest services - nothing was a problem, Kevin Sun at front desk - unbelievably friendly, attentive and helpful, Daniel Torres the Bell Captain - always smiling and couldn't help enough and Vanessa at the concierge desk - there to answer the million questions you may have for a half day tour

Not searching next time as this will be the first choice for sure!!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
6 Thank Minnie M
Jturano1, General Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Midtown - Times Square, responded to this review, 19 August 2014
Thanks so much for sharing you wonderful experience. My staff and I appreciate every guest that walks through our doors, and we are glad you got to experience this. We look forward to many more of your visits.

Boston, MA
Reviewed 15 August 2014

I have stayed in many Midtown hotels over the years. The Four Points exceeded my expectations. The room was small (this is NYC after all), but in very good condition. The bathroom was spotless- very clean. Little amenities not only make a difference, but save you quite a bit of clams too- free wi-fi, complimentary bottled water... The staff were consistently friendly, helpful and really made me feel welcomed. Overall, a great location for business but I'd choose for personal stays as well. Nice job Four Points!

Room Tip: Lower floors might have a view of the Port Authority... not pretty!
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Thanks so much for the wonderful review! We are glad that you provide excellent feedback of the hotel and we look forward to seeing you for many more future visits.

Boston, MA
Reviewed 13 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for 3 nights (Friday thru Monday). The lady who checked us in greeted us with a warm smile & welcomed us to the hotel. She was very professional in all aspects. Even though I choose the prepay option online I still had to pay a $100 security deposit upon check in which was refunded a few days later. I really liked how secure the elevators were you had to insert your room key to gain access to floors. A great way to keep unwelcome visitors out.
The room was beautiful & the bed I didn't wanna get out of it! So comfortable. The room & bathroom were spotless. Free wifi was good. We ordered food from the restaurant in the hotel & they called when the food was ready. We could have got the food delivered to the room but I wanted to see the restaurant in person. I don't remember the name of the guy in the restaurant but he was very professional & welcoming. We ate from the hotel restaurant on several occasions seeing as we are spg members & get 20% off.
When we would leave the hotel & come back we were always greeted with either a good morning or good evening from the hotel staff.
If your driving & need parking then the parking lot a few doors up is the cheapest but it's cash only.
My only complaint is about the housekeepers. Shortly after arriving I spilled orange juice on the bed & tried to dry it as much as possible. The next day (sat) I spoke with a member of the housekeeping staff in the hallway & informed her of what happened & she said they would check it out but housekeeping didn't do anything. I had to call the front desk at approx 7.30pm Saturday evening & they sent someone up to change the sheets.
Then the following morning (sun) housekeeping kept knocking on the door even though we had the do not disturb sign on the door to ask if we were checking out that day but we weren't. Then a short time later another knock on the door from housekeeping but this time it sounded like someone tapping on the door with a key. When I opened the door it was a different person but she wanted to come in & clean the room but I said we will be leaving shortly so you can come back then. Halfway thru telling her that, she started walking away so I had to say excuse me several times to get her attention. Very rude. I emailed the manager of the hotel Sunday evening & informed him about the housekeeping staff & he was very apologetic.
However, we will definitely stay at this hotel again because the location is fantastic, hotel staff (obviously not including housekeeping) are awesome & the hotel itself is just beautiful.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Thanks for the overall favorable review.

I will address the issues you experienced with housekeeping immediately to ensure this does ot occur with you or any other guests.

Reviewed 12 August 2014 via mobile

We stay Wednesday through Sunday .Customer service very welcoming. Rooms were nice and not too small, though not large rooms either. We did not stay in the room long being that there is so much to see and do. Very nice small clean gym though we just played around a bit in gym. They have a night club next door that looked very trendy. The night club is a roof top bar. We did not go in being that we had our 16 yr old with us . Though the Que was long and everyone was well dressed up to go in. The restaurant in Sheraton was small . As well as their lobby bar . Not very well stocked on variety for cocktails.The staff recommended a great authentic Italian restaurant "Mercato" We walked a block and a half away from hotel that was delicious. On our last day I decided to take a walk in the morning and find a place to buy some bagel's and cressants for my sleeping husband and son. Found a place four blocks away. We walked around the area everyday and had no problems. Very safe and comfortable area. Overall great location and clean hotel . I would definitely return for another stay. Thank you Four Points by Sharaton Love Eva

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Thank you very much for your very favorable review. We are so happy that enjoyed most of your stay. I am glad you shared some insight on areas where we can improve. We look forward to having you back in the very near future.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 August 2014

Arrived from Las Vegas and got to the hotel at about 8am. We did advise the hotel that we would be arriving early but early check-in always depends if a room is available. We stayed for four nights. The friendly lady at the front desk immediately checked us in. When we go to the room we realised that it was very noisy and was situated right opposite the bus terminal. We advised the front desk and asked if another room was available, they said that a room might only become available in the late afternoon. We said we would take a nap and then contact then. When we did, they sent the new keys to our room and helped us with our luggage to move to the next room. Amazing service! The new room was nice and quiet. The hotel location is sublime! Situated so close to Times Square and its very central. Wifi is free throughout the hotel which is great. The staff really make this hotel one of the best I have stayed at in New York. Hope to be returning soon. Thank you for a great stay!!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank amroid22
Thanks for taking time out to write a great review. I am happy that we were able to accomodate you for an early check-in. Having taken red eye flights in the past, I realize how daunting of a task to get sleep is.

We are glad we were able to accomodate you requests and we look forward to servicing you in the very near future.

New Orleans, Louisiana
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Definitely one of the best and most efficient Four points I have been to so far! Had a clogged sink, but after 2 hours of informing them it was already fixed! Asked for a ridiculous request of getting a fridge in our room for some cakes, and they immediately brought one up! Definitely surprised me with the great customer service! The staff was very nice and would always greet us as they remember who we were and would always tell us about their daily offering of either some water/ lemonade/ pretzels. The staff was very nice. The location was just hands down awesome! It was just right down the street from Times square about two blocks away! Super comfortable beds! May have been small in space, but not much of a complaint to me! I'd definitely recommend this four points to any of my fellow travelers!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
We are so glad we met and exceeded your expecations! Thanks for taking the time out to complete a review. We look forward to seeing you in the future.