“Good stay for the price of staying in Manhattan”

Holiday Inn Express New York City-Wall Street
Ranked #362 of 470 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 4 September 2013

Loved the location, so close to South Sea Port, Battery Park, 9/11 Memorial and subway. The King room we had was so small though you are literally lying next to the AC which was loud and even at 24th floor you could still hear the traffic below. Breakfast was the usual experience if HI everywhere else which was good.

• Stayed: August 2013
JessicaDGM, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express New York City-Wall Street, responded to this reviewResponded 11 September 2013

Thank you for your review. We truly appreciate your feedback. I hope that our service exceeded our size of room! We hope you will come visit us again soon!

Reviewed 19 August 2013

OK large it's not! Rooms, breakfast room and the reception are not quite lilliputian but compared with many hotels they are definitely on the small side. Everything else exceeded our expectations, the room was comfortable, clean and left nothing to be desired and the staff always anxious to help. Our days started with a great complimentary breakfast. The busy breakfast room ran like clockwork under the watchful eye of Sonya who made sure the supply of delicious food always met demand. And it was a far cry from a coffee and a croissant, a great range of cereals, juices and of course hot food all washed down with coffee to die for ensured we were set up for the day. Can't speak highly enough of the location, we felt we were right in the heart of everything the city had to offer. I could go on but suffice we'll be back to this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
JessicaDGM, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express New York City-Wall Street, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2013

Thank you for your review. We truly appreciate your feedback and glad our hotel was a great place for you. Thank you for mentioning our breakfast host Sonia. We truly appreciate your comment about her service and we will let her know. We look forward to your next visit with us soon.

Reviewed 11 August 2013

Stayed here for three nights (8/7-8/9) for a conference in the city. Check-in was easy, staff were very friendly. The room is small, but I didn't spend much time there other than for sleeping. There are only about 5 rooms on each floor - it's a tall building, and I didn't notice any noise from other rooms or the elevators which are centrally located on each floor. The room was clean, bathroom was also clean. Beds are firm which is fine with me. My room faced Water Street, so there was traffic noise and light from the street level in the room, but there are blackout shades if you want to keep things dark in the room. The breakfast each morning is a REAL breakfast - not just bagels and yogurt. Staff in the room where the breakfast is put out were fantastic, very friendly and attentive when something was running low. No complaints with this experience.

Room Tip: If you're not used to traffic noise and ambient light from the street, get a room that doesn'...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank DKC623
JessicaDGM, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express New York City-Wall Street, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2013

Thank you for your review. We truly appreciate your feedback and glad you had a great stay with us. We look forward to your next visit with us soon.

Reviewed 8 August 2013

Great location!! Subway around the corner, lots of places to eat around the hotel, convenience stores just across the street; 15 to 20 minutes walking to Chinatown and Little Italy.
While we were there, there was street fair on Saturday, concert at the south ferry, and lots of activities on street corners, definitely more than what I expected for this location. The breakfast is a big plus, definitely a great asset for our family of 6. our rooms were clean. Our stuffs well stocked(except for no shampoo the first night).
Now the parts to be aware of:
-The rooms are tiny. Even though I heard enough before coming, but it was still quite a shock. Just imagine 2 adults cannot pass by each other without one turning side way.
-Make sure you COMMUNICATE to the front desk clearly what kind of rooms you need, get it in writing if you have to, AND also ask for the same floor if you need that. The reason is because it is a very narrow hotel with only 4 to 5 rooms on each floor, and there is very limited number of rooms with 2 double beds. Since some rooms cannot accommodate roll-away bed, plus they ran out of roll away bed, we actually had 3 people sleeping on one king bed for 5 nights. Not exactly restful sleep.
-You can hear everything outside in the hallway. Since each floor is small, you get to know your neighbors pretty fast, especially if the children are up early and ready to go in the morning. We didn't need our alarm clock at all for the 5 days.
Other than that, it is a fun place to stay. The bench outside is a perfect spot to drink your coffee or just watch the world goes by. Enjoy!!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family

Thank you for your review. We truly appreciate your feedback and glad our area was a great location to visit. We look forward to your next visit with us sometime soon and thank you for staying with us.

Reviewed 31 July 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for 4 nights. I wasn't entirely happy with this hotel but I'll start with the positives. We found the location to be fine, it's a nice area. Close to the Brooklyn bridge which is lovely to walk across and there's a nice park over there too with great views of Manhattan. It's only a few stops to Times Square and the busy tourist central areas, the subway station is only around the corner, costs $2.50 per journey or $30 for a weekly ticket. Nearest station is Wall street.
The free breakfast was great. We weren't expecting much from it but it was actually brilliant to have. There are yoghurts, pancakes, bagels, coffee/tea, cinnamon roll buns, fruit, some hot food-scrambled eggs and sausages. The woman that works in the breakfast room is really nice, very friendly and funny!
Now for the bad points and some of them were quite bad. Cleanliness. I have serious issue with this. Ok the room seemed clean and everything looked fine. But then I opened the sofa bed out (there were 3 of us, triple room) and it was all crumbs. Then I looked for a sheet for the sofa bed and there was none provided. I found a blanket in the bottom of the cupboard in the corner and took it out- there were blood stains on it. I just thought that was pretty disgusting and it bothered me a lot. To make this matter worse I brought the blanket down to reception and asked for a new one. I explained the situation to 2 employees at the front desk. When I returned to my room later that evening after a long day sightseeing I now had No blanket or sheet. So at 3am (we had a busy day!) I had to return to the front desk to Again ask for a clean blanket and sheet (very basic items to expect from a hotel). They were then sent up to my room a few minutes later. I was going to complain to the manager but I actually didn't even bother in the end.
The room was small but it's New York so I expected that anyway. When the sofa bed was pulled out, it was an obstacle because of the room size.
So overall, this is an average hotel, fine location but they need to improve on their cleanliness and communication.

• Stayed: July 2013
JessicaDGM, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express New York City-Wall Street, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2013

Thank you for your review. Thank you for providing us your feedback on your experience with us. I truly apologize for the issues you had in your room. I will discuss your concerns with my housekeeping team to avoid any issues similar to this to avoid it happening again. We hope you would consider us again in an effort to show you we listened to our guest. Thank you so much.

Reviewed 31 July 2013

Just like other Manhattan hotels, the room is considerably small with two double beds. Even though the room is very small, we still have to pay $250 per night. It's no surprise that Manhattan hotels is one of the most expensive hotels in the world. We have to pay more than double compared to other HI Express in US.

The location is very near the Wall Street, Battery Park for Liberty cruise and 9/11 Memorial. The nearest subway station is Wall Street. We walked most of the time to many places in Manhattan. The parking fee is ridiculously expensive, for overnight we had to pay $45.

Breakfast is standard HI Express and we fill our stomach before long walk around dowtown and uptown Manhattan. Would recommend the hotel if you want to easy access to Liberty cruise. For similar HI Express in Times Square, the rate is more than $300 and the parking fee is much higher.

Since this was the last place before we left US, we're finally happy to see Liberty Statue and not far from our hotel.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family

Thank you for your review. We truly appreciate your feedback and great that our location met your needs. We hope our service exceeded the size of our rooms. We hope you would consider us again for your future lodging needs.

Reviewed 25 July 2013

Rooms are clean, breakfast is good, and the lobby is updated but thats where the good qualities stop.

I had an item stolen from my suitcase, luckily not of great value, but I was made to fill out a police report for a $30 item. The case was then sent to an insurance firm that denied my claim because the housekeeper has never done this before. Such a complete waste of my time I will never stay or recommend this property to anyone.

In addition to the petty theft, the AC unit in the window (if you choose to use it) is so loud it woke me up every time it turned on, but it was too hot to turn off. The AC is the gym was set to 85, so needless to say it was like a sauna in there, even with the 3 measly machines that were down there. Location is decent but all things considered this property fails.

Room Tip: dont stay here and you'll be happy
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Rachael S
JessicaDGM, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express New York City-Wall Street, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2013

Thank you for your review. I truly apologize for the experience you had with us. We take every review and work on improving the situations to avoid these experiences to occur in the future. We truly hope you will give us another opportunity that way we can show you that we have made improvements based on our guest feedback. Thank you again and we hope you would consider us for your future lodging needs.