“Great hotel”

Holiday Inn Express New York City-Wall Street
Ranked #369 of 473 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 17 April 2014

We have a nice stay in this hotel, during the winter. The heat was working well, the room is small like all rooms in NYC, but nice and clean. Wifi worked well too, and we were in a 7th floor. A typical Holiday Inn breakfast, they're fine tho. Recepcionist spoke spanish too, a good thing if you are spanish like me. The subway is like 2 blocks distance walking. Anyways, nothing to complain about. Recommended.

Buena estadia. Estuvimos durante la epoca de invierno, la calefaccion funciono a la perfeccion. La habitacion es pequena como todas en NYC, pero bonita, arreglada y limpia que es lo importante. El wifi funcionaba muy bien, estabamos en un piso 7. El desayuno era el tipico de los Holiday inn, excelentes para empezar el dia. La recepcionista hablaba espanol, algo bueno para los que hablan espanol solamente. El Subway queda aprox a 2 cuadras caminando. En fin, todo perfecto. Recomendado.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
JessicaDGM, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express New York City-Wall Street, responded to this reviewResponded 22 April 2014

Thank you so much for your review. We are vey happy to hear you had a great stay with us and our hotel and staff met all your needs. We hope you will visit us again very soon. Thank you so much for choosing us.

Reviewed 7 April 2014

I stayed at the hotel for one night on March 29. I made my reservation three weeks in advance, but upon arrival found out that the hotel was overbooked. I arrived around 1:20 pm and was told my room was in the process of being cleaned and it would be about a 45 min. - 1 hour wait. I was early so I understood. The lobby had computers with free internet service so I decided to take care of some business. There is no place to eat in the hotel and it was cold and pouring down raining outside so I was stuck. After waiting an hour, I went to the desk to check on the status of my room and was told it was almost ready, but needed to be inspected. I continued to wait. Meanwhile, I watched at least 6 other guest check in without a wait. I didn't understand why I had to wait when I was there first, yet other people were being checked in promptly and given their room keys immediately. I never asked, but I would have loved an explanation. I continued to sit and wait patiently. Around 4:30 pm and 3 hours later, I was finally given keys to my room.

When I got to the room (#2604) and pulled back the sheets, the bed was full of hair....lots of long hair. Eeek! It appeared the sheets had not been changed. I immediately called the front desk to let them know. They told me to come back downstairs and they would assign me another room. The second room (#2701) was better. The rooms are tiny by any standard. I've stayed in many different New York hotels, but never had I seen rooms this small. The entire hotel is very compact. There are only four rooms on each floor and one elevator. The first room (a king) didn't even have a closet. Due to space constraints, the room was furnished with a portable wardrobe chest. The second room (a queen) was more spacious, and included a built niche for hanging clothes. I refrain from calling it a closet. Neither room had a nice view, but I was okay with that because I was there for such a short time. However, being that I waited so long, you'd think the hotel would have upgraded me to one of the nicer rooms as a consolation.

The bathrooms are also small, but clean. The carpets contained debris throughout the room and clearly had not been touched by a vacuum. Had I been staying longer, this would have been a bigger deal. However, I was literally in town for less than 24 hours and planned to be in the room for a minimal amount of time. For the most part, the rooms are modern and comfortable. I wish I could give it a better rate for cleanliness, but the hair in the bed sheets and carpet debris just can't be excused.

The staff was extremely courteous and professional at all times. They did give me a nice bag filled with treats and amenities accompanied by a letter of apology. I appreciated this gesture. Overall, it was not a terrible experience, but it certainly could have been better. I paid $220 for one night (including taxes and fees). I found this rate to be very reasonable by NY standards. When visiting NY, I normally stay at larger 4-star hotels in Times Square/Midtown, but chose this one due to its proximity to Pace University where I was attending a performance that evening. The hotel is located in the Financial District near the WTC Memorial, Brooklyn Bridge, and Statue of Liberty. Unless you need to be in that area for a specific purpose, I wouldn't recommend this location. It is not close to the more popular tourist attractions, shows, restaurants and shopping. Keep in mind this location is in the business district and it is dead on weekends. If the weather is bad or it's raining, taxis are hard to come by. There is a Starbucks across the street and a Subway sandwich shop next door. Otherwise, the nearest eateries and drugstores are two blocks away.

Due to an early flight, I did not get to experience the hotel breakfast. However, on my way out I asked the front desk clerk if they had a breakfast bar or snack I could take with me for the road. He politely replied, "no." I found this funny as the bag of treats the hotel gave me the day before contained a fruit bar, trail mix, cookies, bottled water, etc. Hmmmm......makes you wonder, right?

Anyway, my feelings about this place are definitely mixed. I highly doubt I will stay here again due to the inconvenient location and hotel size. If you are not staying long and don't mind using the subway or bus system, it is not a bad option for an economy NY hotel. Based on what I've paid at Marriott, Hilton, Meridian, and other boutique hotels, the price can't be beat. However, I like to experience the vigor of city life and prefer to be within walking distance of the best shopping, eateries, and entertainment. As for the hair in the bed......take your own sheets as a backup.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Danc_r
JessicaDGM, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express New York City-Wall Street, responded to this reviewResponded 8 April 2014

Thank you so much for your review. Please accept our sincere apologies on your experience with us. We are truly disappointed to hear some of the issues you had during your stay. We will definitely address the housekeeping department on the poor bedding sheets. This is unacceptable delivery to our guest and we will work on correcting this concern. I will also address our team on expediting early check in. Though we cannot guarantee availability depending on the room type you booked I certainly understand the long wait and seeing other guest checked in. This is very disappointing to hear and we will work on making this right. We hope you will visit us again that way we can prove to you we have made changes. Thank you so much for sharing your experience

Reviewed 3 April 2014

Had a four night stay here in Feb. Easy trip from JFK via lightrail to Howard Beach and subway A to Fulton Street (1hr10mins $7.50). Hotel is located just off South Seaport, short walk to WTC or Battery Park. Very quick and friendly check in. Room is compact but very comfortable and clean. Safe, iron, AC, coffee and toiletries in room. No problems connecting to Wi-Fi. The AC is a bit loud and as the room tends to lose heat quickly it can come on and off a lot. I left it off at night and slept sound but the room can get cold.
Very basic gym with one threadmill a cycling machine and stepping machine with a few weights. Breakfast is ok good selection of food. Hot selection could have more variety.
I used the 2 and 3 (7 mins walk) subway to go to Madison Sq Garden and Times Sq and the A train to and from the airport.
The staff were very friendly and helpful at all times. I had to print a ticket for MSG gig and Sano printed it for me. Another issue I had with a ringing smoke alarm was dealt with very quickly and replaced and a bag of goodies sent to my room for the inconvenience. I'll stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo

Thank you so much for your review. We are happy to hear our staff provided you great services at all times. This makes us truly happy. We also look forward to you staying with us again. Thank you so much for sharing your recent visit with us.

Reviewed 1 April 2014

We stayed here because it was close to my husband's meetings. It turns out to be a great area for hanging out as well! Who knew?! It is close to several different subway stops and other public transportation and is right at the corner of Water St and Wall St.

The rooms are what you would hope for in the Financial District of Manhattan. Naturally, they are small. You can't expect suburban sized rooms in this neighborhood, but they are well designed to make the most of the space. They are in good condition and the housekeeping was good.

Also, they have a free breakfast and free internet, so that is pretty awesome!

**Warning**
My only warning to people staying here is that if you need a town car, do not book it through the hotel. I needed to get to an industrial neighborhood of Newark, NJ. They booked a car that came on time, but charged a higher than going rate to get out there (it was near Newark airport, so easy to compare), but the bigger issue is that they charge 20% for using a credit card. So my 25 min ride cost me over $115 with the 20% added to the fare, tolls and tip! The people at the place I was going said that $70 with tip would be normal. Don't get me wrong, I get added on a surcharge for a credit card, but 20?!

I said something to the driver, but also told the front desk when I made it back to the hotel. The response from the front desk was "Oh, didn't he tell you? They are usually good about that." So they knew about this!!! We could have stopped at so many places on the way for me to get cash had they known. It makes me think the hotel is sharing some profits with the car company. There was no apology or even real reaction when I complained.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business

Thank you so much for your review. Thank you for sharing your visit with us and letting us know our location and services were good. Thank you for also bringing to our attention the car services fees. We rely on the vendors we work with to provide the same equal services you expect when you stay with us and I will definitely bring this to their attention as well as our team to ensure all guest are aware of any additional charges. Thank you so much and we hope you will stay with us again soon.

Reviewed 25 March 2014

This hotel has around 27 storeys, with just four bedrooms on each floor. So it is pretty quiet and compact. The elevators have to work! The breakfast was adequate, and the omelette was good.
The hotel is close to Broad St and Fulton St stations so has great connectivity with JFK airport.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
JessicaDGM, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express New York City-Wall Street, responded to this reviewResponded 1 April 2014

Thank you so much for your review. We are happy to hear our location met your needs. We are glad that you were also able to enjoy our breakfast to give you a head start on your day. Thank you so much for your feedback and look forward to your next visit soon.

Reviewed 24 March 2014

Great location, friendly staff but the room is small, better not to open the curtain if you don't have a street-view room.
The air-condition is extremely loud, but when I switched off, I was frozen.
it was expensive as well but I assume this is more as it is in a good location in NY.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
JessicaDGM, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express New York City-Wall Street, responded to this reviewResponded 25 March 2014

Thank you so much for your review. We truly apologize for our heating system's noise. We will share your feedback with our engineering team in hopes of correcting this problem. We hope you will still consider us for any future lodging needs. Thank you so much.

Reviewed 24 March 2014

The hotel is conveniently located, close to the metro station. The rooms are clean and the staff is helpful. The breakfast was ok. Pancakes and cinnamon rolls were nice. The heating was a bit of a problem. It was cold when you turn off the heating but when you turn it on it was noisy, it was not comfortable to sleep with that noise. In general the hotel was not that quite during the night since the staircase was very close to the rooms. There are 2 elevators but 1 was out of order during our stay. We were on the 14th floor and it took a while to go down by stairs or to wait the elevator.
The price is fine for New York. They do not have parking and parkings around are expensive.

Room Tip: Rooms not near the staircase would be better.