“Great Choice will return!”

Staybridge Suites Times Square - New York City
Ranked #157 of 470 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 1 August 2011

I selected the Staybridge based on Tripadvisor reviews and was not disappointed. It is an excellent hotel at a reasonable price (for NYC). Each room has a mini kitchen with a full-size refrigerator, sink, two burner electric cook top, and dishwasher. Cookware and dinnerware are also provided. A full buffet breakfast is included and to go containers are provided. Each day I took away a bagel, or a muffin and yogurt for a late-night snack after the theater.

A subway entrance is half a block away. Weekly Metro passes, good for both the subway and buses, are $29. I went all over Manhatten with my pass and could have gone to the other boroughs had I wanted.

The area is a little dicey, so I used a taxi to bring me right to the hotel entrance on late theater nights.

I will definitely stay at the Staybridge on future trips to NYC!!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank MarleneMills
Write a ReviewReviews (5,797)

Reviewed 30 July 2011

My wife and 2 children stayed at this hotel for 3 days at the end of July. The hotel is located just off Times Square and is therefore a great base for sightseeing. It's not in the best of neighborhoods (there is a parole office close by and the bus station is across the street) but we never felt threatened and it was a very short walk to the crowds of Broadway and Times Square.
All the staff were very helpful and eager to help.
The room itself was clean and spacious (for New York). In other words it was pretty small for 4 people but we didn't spend much time in it so it wasn't a problem. It was also probably the quietest hotel room we've ever stayed in in NY. OK, we were on 30th floor but there was absolutely no street noise - quite an achievement in the city that never sleeps!
The lack of elevators and the wait time have been commented on by others and we can concur. 3 elevators serving 32 floors (each floor with 10 rooms I think) just isn't enough. We waited a good 15 minutes on more than one occasion. We weren't in a rush but it got pretty frustrating.
There is a free breakfast in the morning every day. Nothing special - fruit, bagels, an egg and meat dish and a reception with wine/beer and nibbles on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays. This is nice but there isn't enough seating and it got very crowded when we were there.
If you're going to NY for a few days, I can recommend this hotel. It's not 5* luxury but it represents good value for money.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank EdinburghTimJ
Reviewed 30 July 2011

Me and a friend stayed for a week at the Staybridge Suites for a holiday. I was expecting a suite with two separate bedrooms, as this is what I thought I had requested, but it was a smallish room with a king size bed instead. So we had to share a bed, but this was such a massive bed that is was actually ok! The room decor was very nice and the bathroom was lovely and very clean. The breakfast which was included in the price was very good, although finding a place to sit wasn't so easy as it was very busy. But we sat with other people if they had spaces, and actually met some really nice people! The front desk staff were very helpful as was the concierge. The location of this hotel is excellent for a lot of attractions and we walked almost everywhere. For further destinations we found the subway very cheap and very fast! i would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank ginnydib
Reviewed 29 July 2011

We stayed for 4 nights in June, and thought the Staybridge was phenomenal. Rooms were recently renovated, spotless and sizable, with a kitchenette that included all the necessities. The location was excellent, a 15-minute walk from Penn Station, 5 mins from Times Square and steps from the nearest subway. Tues-Thurs evenings they put on free drinks and nibblies, which were surprisingly filling and abundant. Breakfast is included and also abundant and fresh. The hotel seems a touch overstuffed with guests - you can wait a while for an elevator, and seating can be tough at peak times during breakfast and evening nibblies. None of that would stop us staying there again!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank David C
Reviewed 29 July 2011

I visit NYC for pleasure and have been three times in the past year or so and have stayed at price comparable properties in midtown each time.

First what I liked- Super super clean all over the property. I didn't need to use the business facilities or restrooms so I can't speak to those, but our room was also properly prepared and VERY clean. Check in was efficient and it was no problem that we were an hour early. Even though the property was very busy and probably full, I was very glad to not have to wait. Staff we had contact with were all very pleasant. The room was well equipped, modern, nothing at all amiss. Same goes for the kitchenette- three forks/spoons/knives say "this room is for no more than two" and it wouldn't be, but everything we needed was there. I didn't cook (hello! It's NYC! $1 pizza just up the street is awesome!) but if I'd wanted to, it would have worked out fine. I also liked some other features- in addition to the desk there's a small ledge with a mirror outside the bath- good place to lay down your chargeables. Lots of outlets. Nice flat screen. Window opens. Thermostat was useless on the wall but the ac unit worked quite well. Good draperies and a super comfortable bed. Also LOTS of good (not great, but very good) towels. I traveled this time with my daughter, we both have long hair and it's a pet peeve if there aren't enough towels up front without having to call for more. Everything was properly refreshed by housekeeping which came later in the day, and that always works for me too. We had the King room and it worked for the two of us just fine.

What I didn't like- little things of no serious consequence really, but they might matter to you depending on the type of traveler you happen to be. First, it's not really Times Square. That's a bit of a misnomer. It's Garment district and borderline Hell's Kitchen. It's more like "two avenues+ two blocks from Times Square" and if your feet hurt, that's plenty. If I'd had my young children with me, I would not have liked having to pass by the Adult stores and loudly advertised Peep Show on my way to the hotel. Yes, it's NYC, yes we expect some of that, but based on location much of it can be avoided. You won't avoid it here. The Hotel can't change it's location and for business/couples/singles it's probably not an issue, nor for many families, just worth noting if you're a conservative sort. I didn't like not seeing the bellman a lot. One was there miraculously when I inquired for one upon leaving and he was quite kindly and helpful (thank you Andy) but that was the only time I spotted one. As a Priority Club member, I liked the little chocolates but for the money like other places I've stayed it would be much nicer to put them on my pillow at turndown, don't hand them to me in a little plastic bag with a smile. The free breakfast (and we know nothing in life is free) was an incredibly busy, crowded cluster. Many items are not refreshed frequently enough so if you're not the earliest riser, you're not going to score a banana. The food itself was good enough. There's a dining area in the back with tables, a lounge area between the lobby and breakfast room and a bar alongside the lobby for seating the breakfast crowd, but it's seriously not enough. Also on the buffet there's a duplicating of effort which does nothing to reduce traffic. Having one long line for the hot and cold stuff and keeping things that don't need preparation would make more sense than having the toasters in-between the coffee and the muffins no one is going to toast. I brought our food upstairs the last day for lack of seating (and people are ruthless about the seating. Welcome to NY!) but that meant reheating the grub after a long, busy wait for the elevator and trying not to lose my breakfast on the head of a shorter person in the elevator with lots of stops. I also tried different times, and it didn't seem to matter. Love the idea of it, didn't love the jockeying for an uncomfortable seating arrangement and the elbow-banging for food- others noticed that the primo items disappeared fast and I was sure someone would get an eye poked out over the honeydew melons. As for inroom dining, I wish they'd use the area on the blank wall between the door and the stove area for a narrow counter area. There's room for a narrow counter and two barstools. If you're more than one person you'll wind up dining on the bed which is something I'm not fond of...

None of those displeasures are deal killers and didn't affect my pleasure with the hotel. At this price and location I probably wouldn't stay here again as a pleasure traveler (and knowing what else is out there and in this price range- it's a tight market). Overall I had a very good stay the little amount of time I laid my head there. I would say this is a great location for couples here to see the midtown sights and seemed quite popular and appropriate for the business set. I wouldn't recommend for families with small children (there were plenty but this would not be my first choice if I'd had my elementary school set with me).

Room Tip: I requested an upper floor away from the elevator. The way the hotel is situated this put us at the...
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank higpaws12
Reviewed 29 July 2011

Stayed here for 4 days in July, a nice hotel. Not a lot of facilities but didnt worry me. Room was very nice. One of the ladys at the front desk was rude when we first arrived which didnt make us feel welcome but that was the only downside. All in all enjoyed staying that and was close to everything. One thing they need to do is get quicker lifts. Ridiculousy slow. We were waiting minutes for it and their ended up being 20 people waiting as well.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Daniel C
Reviewed 29 July 2011

It was our first stay in NYC and we couldn't be more pleased with the choice of the hotel. We got the room on the 27th floor, king sized, spacious and with a fine view. The kitchenette was handy, bathroom spotless and bed SO comfortable.
Everybody warned us that we are spoiled by european hotels and their spacious rooms, but this hotel met all our expectations.
We went to Boston to meet our friend and we used a coach from the nearby bus station, so the location worked just perfect!
It is true that the street is not the most beautiful area in Manhattan, but on the other hand it felt very "Newyorkish", the invisible boundaries where the boundaries of 4stars hotels meet the homeless people etc.
We loved it and we very much appreciated the staff. Everybody was very attentive and helpful.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple