“Clean and Comfy”

Ranked #380 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Lakewood, CA
“Clean and Comfy”
Reviewed 28 July 2011

I got a really good deal through Travelzoo. I had a larger king room on the street side that was nice, comfy, and clean. The staff was very nice. The breakfast wasn't much to speak of, just muffins and coffee. I had a room on the second floor during a hot week. The AC is a noisy window unit and the windows don't keep out much noise, so be sure to bring your earplugs. The shower has no control for pressure, so you better like full pressure in your shower. The shower head is a modern style large head with a straight down stream, fine for me but I know my daughter would have hated it. There is room service from a nearby restaurant. The TV has a million channels with HBO and there is free wireless internet. I would stay again, as long as I have earplugs ;)

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank sandieck

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Handen, Sweden
Reviewed 24 July 2011

My absolute favorite hotel in New York.
This was my 2nd stay and I will be back, that´s for sure. When I came back this year after been to Las Vegas (Caesars Palace, great hotel) and Miami (Townhouse also a great hotel) it really felt like coming home and I love The Mave and I love New York .
It´s nothing that I would like to change at this hotel. It's really nice and clean. The service is excellent, everything from getting you a cab til helping you with direction to a event or something, in my case was direction to a baseball game at Yankee Stadium by train. They are always friendly at the front desk, 24/7. The room is great and I love the bed. In the morning they put a news paper outside your door. They serv a continental breakfast (it´s ok).
The room it´s really "quiet", you don´t hear the neighbors. They have a alarm clock with a Ipod dock so you don´t need to bring your own speakers, thanks for that.
For me is The Mave located central, 3-4 blocks from Empire State Building, 10 min from Time Square (walking distance). McDonalds, subway and a Duane Reade (or is it CVS or Rite Aid ) just one two streets away.
Maybe one thing that I miss actually, I would like to have a small fridge in the room, that would be nice, maybe they have it for my next staying.

I really recomends this hotel.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank tbq21
George_Vesa, General Manager at The MAve Hotel, responded to this review, 10 August 2011
We're thrilled to be your home away from home! Thanks very much for your kind words, our team appreciates greatly :)
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 11 July 2011

I read reviews on this hotel before booking my stay. To sum everything up, all the previous reviews I read were right on the money.

The hotel is very conveniently located in midtown Manhattan, five minutes walk from two subway stations/lines, a very big plus. My wife and I brought a weekly metrocard and took the subway everywhere.

The staff was very friendly and helpful during our stay.

The rooms are contemporarily decorated. No complaints there. They are however on the small size. Just large enough to fit a double bed and a dresser. But this we knew about in advance and we weren't planning to spent alot of time in our hotel room.

Because of the central location of the hotel, all rooms face a street. The windows are not great in insulating out the street noise. If you are a light sleeper make sure to bring some ear plugs for your stay.

Overall though, I would not hesitate to book another stay at The MAve.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank wpak
Dear guest,

Thanks for taking the time to tell us about your experience with us. We are quite happy that you had a pleasant experience. While it's true that our Madison Double might not be enough for a couple we do offer larger size rooms such as our Boulevard King room which is just about 200 sq ft larger than the room you confirmed.
We look forward to welcoming you back to NYC!
Amman, Jordan
Reviewed 6 July 2011

The hotel was good for a business trip in Manhattan, the hotel staff was amazing, and the room service was good. The sleep quality was good, the cleanliness was not bad, the morning breakfast could be better, unfortunately no spa or swimming pool, but I guess you won't need these in a business trip. On a few occasions, the towels were dirty.

I recommend this hotel, however, I might be looking for another one for my next visit.

Room Tip: The rooms in all floors are the same. Get either 04 or 05; ex. 704.
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
5 Thank Ahmad A
George_Vesa, General Manager at The MAve Hotel, responded to this review, 13 July 2011
Thanks for choosing to stay with us and thank you for your honest feedback. Please accept our apologies for not having noticed the towels prior to placing them in your room. Our room attendants usually do a fantastic job with quality check of linens and towels and we also inspect each and every room prior to a guest checking in.
We hope you will stay with us again so that we may make it up to you.
Marlborough, Massachusetts
Reviewed 3 July 2011

Just completed a two night stint here. Paid for the larger broadway king (260sq ft room) and it was cool but cool in a way where you are trying to make something old look new. Floors were dirty. Windows filthy and a misty water smell was masked by a awesome bed, great bathroom and nice decor. Location was great as two subway stops were a block away on either direction and your on madison ave!

• Stayed July 2011
1 Thank spls76
Dear guest,

We thank you for choosing The MAve for your stay in New York City. Your comment is actually correct about the old being made to look new, certain aspects of the remodeling of the hotel were planned to achieve this. Dirty floors are not acceptable and we addressed this with our staff. The building windows in this city are not easy to keep clean due to 24/7 traffic but we do have a scheduled cleaning coming up this month.
Thanks very much for you comments, we do appreciate our guests' opinion.
Reviewed 26 June 2011

Stayed for 3 nights in unusually cold march.

I loved this hotel. The room was surprisingly big and really clean! The bed was huge and very very comfortable. The hotel provides everything u need toiletries, coffee machine, maps etc.

The reception staff were very helpful and even recommended and booked us a restaurant on our first night.

The location was also brilliant we walked everywhere. It is very close to the flatiron building, empire state and times square!

We wanted somewhere which was nice for a good price and I have to say that I was very very happy that we chose this hotel!

• Stayed March 2011
1 Thank mel_g13
George_Vesa, General Manager at The MAve Hotel, responded to this review, 29 June 2011
...and we are very happy that you chose to stay with us! Thank you for the great feedback, we very much appreciate it and hope to see you again soon :)
Ghent, Belgium
Reviewed 15 June 2011

Just got back from a short trip to NYC. Stayed for four nights at the Mave. (Room 804) Room was small but tidy. First night we had a lot of noise from the street because of the festivities near Madison Square Park. Other nights the noise level was acceptable. Grab and Go breakfast was good. Excellent central location.

Stayed June 2011, travelled with family