“Nice location, clean, convenient & comfortable”
Review of The MAve Hotel

The MAve Hotel
Ranked #386 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 1 August 2011

Just spent the weekend at the Mave and was pleasantly surprised by this hidden little gem. It is a relatively new boutique hotel that the taxi drivers hadn't heard of, but very easy to find and in a nice location. We stayed in the ultramodern suite on the top floor, which was extremely quiet, clean and comfortable. For NYC, the room was a reasonable size, with an amazing shower and very comfy bed. We've paid more in NYC for a smaller room at other hotels. The staff was very very attentive, knowledgeable & friendly. The hotel isn't pretending to be anything beyond its size - it is petit and doesn't have a restaurant, so the 'grab and go' breakfast of pastries was as expected and the workout room was very small. There isn't much of a view, but the location is great: just a few blocks to Herald Square and other parts of the city. There are great restaurants nearby as well. Only 1 elevator was working, but there is an unusual central staircase that winds up the entire hotel in addition to the emergency stairs. If I need to stay in that area again, I'd definitely stay at the Mave.

Room Tip: Get a suite if you need space - it is nice and quiet on the top floor
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Confutio
George_Vesa, General Manager at The MAve Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 August 2011

Dear Confutio,

Thanks for choosing to stay with us and for taking the time to share your experience. We're very glad you found us to your liking and would be very happy to welcome you back soon. Apologies for the elevator challenge, we are working on it.

Reviewed 29 July 2011

The MAve is a charming and modern boutique hotel on the corner of Madison Ave with 27th St, a few steps from 5th avenue and Madison Square Park (one of the many fabulous NYC parks). Need I say more? The staff is incredibly nice, welcoming and helpful; always willing and available to do their best at fulfilling your Desires.

As soon as you pass the front door, you can't help but feel welcome to the place, as you are promptly greeted by one or two staff members (gotta mention the nice scent in the lobby and the equally pleasant chill-out/lounge music coming from the speakers), combined with the hotel's hip and fresh mood, making you feel like you are ready to conquer NYC and truly enjoy the best of it. Getting to The MAve was the perfect start! Not to mention the complimentary early check-in we got, which made our day after a nine hour flight from Brazil.

The rooms are nicely decorated, enough to give it a clean casual modern look; it's always neat and clean when you come back at the end of the day with your legs sore from exploring the city, the beds are truly comfy (great mattresses and covers!), and yes, there is silence. In the city that never sleeps, you'll certainly get the best night's sleep.

PLUS: You´ll get complimentary (high-speed!) wi-fi and grab-and-go breakfest; a couple of subway stations at short-walking distance; nearby Starbucks, Bread and Butter, Duane Reade for all your basic needs; great restaurants and not-to-miss places like Eataly, Shake Shack, Flatiron Building, and much talked about rooftops like 230 Fifth Avenue.

Have recommended to friends and family, and definitely looking forward to come back!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank PedroM84

WOW!!! Amazing review, thanks very much :)

Reviewed 28 July 2011

I found this hotel to be very clean and in a good location. The staff was very helpful and friendly and were always smiling. The room was small, but nicely decorated and had all of the amenities you would need. The beds were comfy. It is a nice, trendy hotel that I would recommend for couples, friends, for business. Also, we had to get room service one evening and it was quite tasty!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank skinnyglassesgirl
Reviewed 28 July 2011

I got a really good deal through Travelzoo. I had a larger king room on the street side that was nice, comfy, and clean. The staff was very nice. The breakfast wasn't much to speak of, just muffins and coffee. I had a room on the second floor during a hot week. The AC is a noisy window unit and the windows don't keep out much noise, so be sure to bring your earplugs. The shower has no control for pressure, so you better like full pressure in your shower. The shower head is a modern style large head with a straight down stream, fine for me but I know my daughter would have hated it. There is room service from a nearby restaurant. The TV has a million channels with HBO and there is free wireless internet. I would stay again, as long as I have earplugs ;)

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank sandieck
Reviewed 24 July 2011

My absolute favorite hotel in New York.
This was my 2nd stay and I will be back, that´s for sure. When I came back this year after been to Las Vegas (Caesars Palace, great hotel) and Miami (Townhouse also a great hotel) it really felt like coming home and I love The Mave and I love New York .
It´s nothing that I would like to change at this hotel. It's really nice and clean. The service is excellent, everything from getting you a cab til helping you with direction to a event or something, in my case was direction to a baseball game at Yankee Stadium by train. They are always friendly at the front desk, 24/7. The room is great and I love the bed. In the morning they put a news paper outside your door. They serv a continental breakfast (it´s ok).
The room it´s really "quiet", you don´t hear the neighbors. They have a alarm clock with a Ipod dock so you don´t need to bring your own speakers, thanks for that.
For me is The Mave located central, 3-4 blocks from Empire State Building, 10 min from Time Square (walking distance). McDonalds, subway and a Duane Reade (or is it CVS or Rite Aid ) just one two streets away.
Maybe one thing that I miss actually, I would like to have a small fridge in the room, that would be nice, maybe they have it for my next staying.

I really recomends this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank tbq21

We're thrilled to be your home away from home! Thanks very much for your kind words, our team appreciates greatly :)

Reviewed 11 July 2011

I read reviews on this hotel before booking my stay. To sum everything up, all the previous reviews I read were right on the money.

The hotel is very conveniently located in midtown Manhattan, five minutes walk from two subway stations/lines, a very big plus. My wife and I brought a weekly metrocard and took the subway everywhere.

The staff was very friendly and helpful during our stay.

The rooms are contemporarily decorated. No complaints there. They are however on the small size. Just large enough to fit a double bed and a dresser. But this we knew about in advance and we weren't planning to spent alot of time in our hotel room.

Because of the central location of the hotel, all rooms face a street. The windows are not great in insulating out the street noise. If you are a light sleeper make sure to bring some ear plugs for your stay.

Overall though, I would not hesitate to book another stay at The MAve.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank wpak

Dear guest,

Thanks for taking the time to tell us about your experience with us. We are quite happy that you had a pleasant experience. While it's true that our Madison Double might not be enough for a couple we do offer larger size rooms such as our Boulevard King room which is just about 200 sq ft larger than the room you confirmed.
We look forward to welcoming you back to NYC!

Reviewed 6 July 2011

The hotel was good for a business trip in Manhattan, the hotel staff was amazing, and the room service was good. The sleep quality was good, the cleanliness was not bad, the morning breakfast could be better, unfortunately no spa or swimming pool, but I guess you won't need these in a business trip. On a few occasions, the towels were dirty.

I recommend this hotel, however, I might be looking for another one for my next visit.

Room Tip: The rooms in all floors are the same. Get either 04 or 05; ex. 704.
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
5  Thank Ahmad A
George_Vesa, General Manager at The MAve Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 July 2011

Thanks for choosing to stay with us and thank you for your honest feedback. Please accept our apologies for not having noticed the towels prior to placing them in your room. Our room attendants usually do a fantastic job with quality check of linens and towels and we also inspect each and every room prior to a guest checking in.
We hope you will stay with us again so that we may make it up to you.