“Were amazingly helpful during Hurricane Irene”
Review of The MAve Hotel

The MAve Hotel
Ranked #384 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Were amazingly helpful during Hurricane Irene”
Reviewed 1 September 2011

We enjoyed 5 nights stay here but unfortunately were due to fly home the day the hurricane hit. As a result our flight was cancelled and couldn't fly out for another 6 days. The hotel allowed us to remain in our room ( which had been upgraded on arrival to a king) for a reduced rate. Luckily we managed to get an earlier flight and only needed the two exta nights, there was no problem cancelling the extra nights we provisionally booked. They were patient as we tried to find the extra money to pay for the room.
The hotel is in a good location, close to subway stops. The Flatiron building is right near by, the Empire State Building is a five minute walk, times square a little further. We even walked to central park one day.
The room had everything we needed including fast wifi! Parts of the room were a little worn around the edges but it was modern, fresh and clean. The room was a king size and an ok size but that's standard for the area. It was perfectly adequate but upgrading to a king would be worth the money. I can imagine the queen is a little small.
The breakfast was a nice idea but didn't work for me, by the time I got there at 08:30 it was demolished. You either have to squeeze standing up in the Lobby area or take it back to the room. But it is complementary so can't really complain. Even though there is no restaurant on site they do provide room service from a nearby restaurant, never tried it but menu looked promising.

In summary the service was fantastic and it made a good base for exploring the city. Good budget accommodation.

Again thank you to the reception staff for being very helpful at a stressful time. It made things so much easier to know we at least had accomodation organised.

Would stay here again

• Stayed August 2011
1 Thank sarah5320

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Miami Beach, Florida
Reviewed 25 August 2011

I think the Mave is in a good location. It's very central to many places. Nonetheless, it has only 2 small elevators (one of which was broken during my stay), and no formal lobby. The included breakfast was basically put out in the hallway.. not a good vibe. They'd be better not offering breakfast.
They offer miniscule rooms .. and being that this is Manhattan it was understandable and effectively the bed was comfortable.
The Mave isn't bad... it's just not good and for the price doesn't come across as a value.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank WiseTraveler1974
George_Vesa, General Manager at The MAve Hotel, responded to this review, 30 September 2011
Dear guest,

Thanks for choosing to stay with us and your honest feedback. We're glad you enjoyed the location of our property. We do offer different size rooms ranging from 165 to 365 sq ft, it sounds like the size of the room you confirmed might not have been the right one for your needs. Our complimentary "grab 'n go" continental breakfast is offered as a courtesy to our guests who don't always have the time for a full breakfast but we do have plenty of options for a full breakfast in the immediate area of the hotel.
We apologize for the inconvenience the out of order elevator created for you, we are working on this and will have it back in service soon. We do hope you will give us a chance to show you our larger rooms during one of your future stays in NYC.
Jerusalem
Reviewed 24 August 2011

NY Hotels have always been a challenge, my worst stays have been in this city and I always feel like I am gambling when I book a hotel here, will I hit the jackpot or lose everything in one fell swoop?
The MAve overall was better than I expected, the location is convenient, the staff were friendly and happy to recommend and advise, the room was OK, not too small with a nice selection of amenities and the trump card was the free Wi-Fi.
I read a lot of reviews before picking this hotel and the thing I worried about was the noise, I saw that the noise issue had been taken care of following the on-line feedback and appreciated the management's response, but after 3 nights here I must report that even the double glazing couldn’t keep NY morning traffic noise out even on the 9th floor. This is just NY and I was able to get used to it.
I do feel that the MAve is quite pricy for what you get compared to other hotels around the world in this price bracket, but for NY in August I guess it could be considered reasonable... So I am glad I stretched my budget and tried the MAve, I may come back here again but I will probably keep on with my gambling quest to find nice places to stay in NY that will not bankrupt my company.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank BBeeps
Hong Kong
Reviewed 24 August 2011

I tried this boutique hotel based on tripadvisor reviews. The location is great, only one short block to the subway stop (Lexington line 23rd stop). At $200 p.n. (inc tax), the room size was acceptable (Madison type). Decor is modern & simple.

On the negative, no refrigerator in the room, and window air-conditioning which is a bit loud. I was on a lower floor so you could hear the traffic as windows are not double glaze. Only one of the two elevators was working so if you are on an upper floor, you have to wait a long time. The hotel provides complimentary pastries and coffee in the front lobby which is good but many of the guests hangout by the tables giving the feel like you are a fast food restaurant.

I think there are plenty of new boutique hotels that have opened in NYC for around $200-250 p.n. (inc tax) so I will try another hotel for next time.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank HKFoodie
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 5 August 2011

Have actually stayed ath the MAve several times (probably 4 or 5) and had a good experience each time. Location is very good (tucked in a quieter, clean area of Chelsea), staff has a can-do attitude (they've accommodated me for early check-in more than once over the years), the lobby is inviting, and the hotel appointments are quirky, sort of an industrial kitsch motif. The breakfast on the run is fun, with a good assortment of pastry and cheese and the like (but no real beverages for some reason). Rooms are quite cozy and watch out for the step up going into many of the bathrooms.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank Mfgib197
George_Vesa, General Manager at The MAve Hotel, responded to this review, 10 August 2011
Dear loyal guest,

Thanks very much for your wonderful feedback. We share the good and the bad with our staff (obviously the good is always more fun) and so our guests' input is greatly valued. We look forward to your next stay, thanks again for taking the time to let us know how we're doing (we'll definitely look into adding other beverages besides coffee to our grab 'n go breakfast).
Istanbul, Turkey
Reviewed 5 August 2011

We stayed in the MAve for three nights and liked it very much. The minimalist interior design was really pleasant. The location was great. Our room was quite small and we had a lot of problem handling our three big bags. They didnt have a breakfast saloon but rather served some danish pasties in grab-and-go style.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Frank_Jr_II
Stowe, Vermont
Reviewed 4 August 2011

Room was great just what i needed, service was where the value is. from my Desires welcome note to amenities, all people here and what they do for guests are 1st class. Do not forget this gem when visiting The Apple

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank BobSassani
We're flattered and humbled, sir! Thanks for taking the time to share your experience with the world, we hope to see you again real soon.