“Well located hotel”

Ranked #383 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Geneva
“Well located hotel”
Reviewed 28 July 2012

We stayed at the MAve hotel for three nights and we had a very nice room. We took a King size bedroom to have enough space and it was big enough. We had enough room for all of our luggage and shopping! The bathroom is very clean and the bed is very comfortable.
It's really well located and close to everything. It's a small and friendly hotel.
The staff is really nice and helpful.
The only negative thing I have to say is about the noise, you can really hear the street. So I would suggest to stay at a higher floor. Our room was on the 4th floor.
But I would definitely stay at the MAve hotel next time I come to NYC.

Room Tip: Take a King size bedroom, they're bigger. Higher floors might be less noisy.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Admayor

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
New Haven, Connecticut
Reviewed 23 July 2012

I have stayed in my share of good and bad NYC hotels and I have to say that I would definitely return to MAve. MAve is not a luxury hotel but it is a good value for anyone traveling on a budget. The room I had was clean and quiet. The decor was very new and modern. Linens were very good quality and comfortable. I normally wake up early while traveling and take a walk. I was surprised that I had actually slept later than I had expected (which is not common for me at all) so that says something. There was some normal noise coming from a room down the hall, but I could only hear that when I was in the hall. The sound quality inside the room that I had was very good and I could barely hear any noise from other rooms. The view across the street from the window in my room was of the upscale Carlton and I could even see a glimpse of the buildings across the street on Madison Ave too. The Flatiron area of NYC would not have been my first choice for accommodations, but as it turned out it was fine. I would have gladly spent more time investigating this neighborhood if I had extra time.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank walkbout
New York City, New York
Reviewed 15 July 2012

This was by far my best stay yet. I have been to The MAve a couple of times, but this time was extra special. My boyfriend came from out of town to celebrate my birthday. I corresponded with a a woman named Felicia. It was automatically a good sign in my book because we share the same name. We discussed doing something in anticipation of his arrival. She was extremely helpful in offering outside options (restaurants,lounges, bars, etc). I wanted something for just him and I to enjoy. She made a suggestion, but I never had time to confirm it with her. Flash forward to check in. I was greeted by a lovely lady at the front desk. Coincidentanly a women walks in and it turned out to be Felicia. We greeted one another and I told her thank you for the suggestions, and she hoped that I enjoyed my weekend stay (07/07-07/09). She was extremely personable and I am glad I was able t meet her. I continue to check in and I asked the lady at the desk if my welcome amenity was upstairs. I am a part of the "Your Desires" program. It is free and the benifits are awesome. She explained that it was there as well as the other request I made. I was stumped because nothing was confirmed. She said it was perfect for my boyfriend and I. So I gather my luggage and head to my room. I settle in a look around. Then I notice what she was alluding to. I definitely wasnt expecting that, and was beyond grateful. My boyfriend arrived about a half hour later and we never left the room. The bed is the most comfortable ever. I have a hard time sleeping but as soon as my head hit those fluffy yet stern pillows....I was out like a light. Overall, this turned out to be the best birthday celebration ever. My stay was PERFECT. I am a native New Yorker and I have yet to find a better hotel. To each their own, but I highly recommend it. It is resonably priced and worth every dollar.

Room Tip: I stayed in the Madison King room this time. It was on the smaller size for me. I would recommend th...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
George_Vesa, General Manager at The MAve Hotel, responded to this review, 30 July 2012
You made all of us very happy with your feedback (especially Felicia). We appreciate you having taken the time to share your story and as always, look forward to your return!
Derby
Reviewed 14 July 2012

My husband and I stayed here when the hotel first opened and there were no reviews! We thought we were taking abit of a risk as it had just opened but when we arrived we were pleasantly suprised. Just off 5th avenue and round the corner from the Flat Iron building it's in a great location. The rooms are very small but this is on par with NYC. But very modern and clean, fab bathroom with nice shower and nice comfy bed and linen. There was an air con unit in the room which was also great as it was so hot outside. Complimentary coffee and breads in the lobby in the mornings. Staff friendly and helpful. There is a cafe round the corner called Cafe 28 which does lovely hot breakfasts and convenience food. We would stay there again.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank HRMR R
Alberta
Reviewed 12 July 2012

My daughter and I stayed here July 1-8. Though it was my third trip to NYC, it was my daughter's first. I wanted her to get the full experience, and not just the touristy places. I had looked all over the city for a decent place to stay, with two beds and a private bathroom, that wasn't going to break the bank. The MAve met all my demands. I lucked out on the rates, as they must have had a sale back when I looked in January. As soon as I saw the rates, I booked. Of course, if Trip Advisor had said it was a dive, I wouldn't have booked no matter how cheap it was. But everyone on here raved about it, and I can see why.

We had a Madison double, on the 11th floor. Although the room was fairly small, it was plenty big enough for the two of us, and it had everything we needed. We unpacked right away, and either hung our clothes or put them in the really large drawers, and then we could tuck our suitcases away to make more room. I really liked that they had a small safe, at no extra charge, and a laptop desk, and an ipod dock, and my daughter loved that they had FREE WIFI. The beds were very comfortable, and each had two comfortable pillows. We slept well every night. There was very little noise, as our room was high up and faced 27th street. Not a great view, but we weren't there for the view.

The shower was good, with good pressure. Even though it was not a full door on the shower, we never had a problem with the floor getting wet. The shower head points straight down, so I'm not sure how you would get the floor flooded, unless the drain was blocked.

We always felt safe at the hotel. The door does not always latch automatically, but the housekeeper knocked on our door on our first day and told us that, so we made sure that it was closed properly after that. When we would go outside for a cigarette, the front desk staff always greeted us, and the doorman was always there to open the door for us. Whenever we had a question for the staff, it was always answered politely and promptly. Other times, we would just chat with them, and they were always friendly. We were in our room once when the housekeeper was cleaning it, and she was always very friendly as well. Absolutely wonderful staff.

The location was incredible. Two blocks to the #6 subway, and three blocks to the N & R. We bought our Metro passes the first day, and definitely got our moneys worth. Also around the corner was Cafe 28, which is open all night and sells everything you might need. They also had hot buffet, and cooked to order sandwiches, and hot coffee. Also close by was a MacDonalds, Taco Bell, Dunkin Donuts, and a Duane Reade, and several banks if you needed those. When I was there previously, I stayed in midtown, closer to Central Park. This was way, way better for a location. Although there were not that many touristy things close by, there were more restaurants, more convenience stores, etc. It was more like the real New York, instead of the tourist New York. No matter the time of day, it was always busy around there, but with real New Yorkers, as opposed to tourists. We were also able to walk quite a bit. Union Square was only 14 blocks, and on the walk up 5th avenue was a lot of shopping. In the other direction, we were 6 blocks from the Empire State building and all the souvenir stores.

I don't see myself going back to NYC any time in the near future, as I live so far from it, but to all of you reading this review, I would very definitely reccomend The MAve as your hotel. It has everything you need, with great location, great rates, and a wonderful staff. Oh, and check their website before you go to Expedia, etc, as that's where I found this incredible rate.

Have a great trip to this amazing city!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank Princess_Lu
Thank you for taking out of your time to share your experience with the world, we are very appreciative! We have checked all of our doors since you left us this comment and addressed the very few that needed an extra "push". Glad you found a good deal on Expedia, we do offer plenty of great deal on our website as well....
Even though it doesn't sound like you'll be back soon, we do look forward to your return!
Godalming
Reviewed 1 July 2012

A great little boutique hotel. Close to some great shops and restaurants in the Flatiron district. Friendly staff. Rooms are small, but clean and with everything you need. Very comfy beds. Bathroom was a good size and the shower was very good. Breakfast is coffee, a variety of teas and pastries . Good choice of the latter. Missed my orange juice but that is my only criticism.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank tiddles12Godalming
Kendal, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 June 2012

Spent five nights here on our recent holiday to the USA. First time in New York, used this hotel on recommendation of someone else and it lived up to all expectations. The staff were great, very helpful and approachable. The room was extremely comfortable (great bed) and plenty big enough for the two of us to relax in. The location is fantastic for getting around New York, 1 block away from a subway station, and in mid town the rest of Manhattan is at your disposal. Would definitely stay here again.

Oh, and I thought the rates were exceptional for such an hotel in such a city. Thanks

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple