“Pros & Cons”

Ranked #383 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Sydney
“Pros & Cons”
Reviewed 27 August 2012

We made a last minute booking to stay at the MAve during a weekend trip to NYC. Compared to other hotels, the MAve is definitely good value for money! The staff were all friendly, helpful and knowledgeable about the area, good places to eat, etc. The location is good if you don't mind a bit of a walk, because although the closest subway was only a block or two away, it didn't go to all stops.

With the exception of the reception area, the hotel uses all the common area spaces very efficiently, verging on the point of being a bit cramped. The corridors on each floor are about half the width of a normal hotel corridor, and the "gym" is a tiny room with only a couple pieces of equipment.. but you don't go to NYC to use a hotel gym! We were fortunate to be upgraded to a King size room, which was spacious enough for two of us, with a huge bed! We were on the 6th floor (out of 12), so we could still hear a bit of traffic, mainly trucks/buses pass by late at night.

The breakfast included in the rate is a grab and go style breakfast, which was a choice of muffins & pastries and coffee, which was enough to keep us going for the morning.

Just be warned that there is no public restroom in this hotel, so for patrons who plan on leaving their luggage with reception after check out, then coming back to grab their things and freshen up before heading off, you can't do that here!

All in all, we enjoyed our stay & the location of the hotel (which gave us the opportunity to see a different end of NYC - Flatiron District), and we would probably return based on value for money.

Room Tip: A floor higher than the 6th floor may have less street noise.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Ninsar

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 26 August 2012

yeah room can be pretty small , but in a city that you have millions of things to do it was perfect ,I arrived there at 11 am , had to be in a metting at 3pm the lady who check me in told me till 3pm but she checked the system and was able to check in , nice small clean room, the guys at the front desk always willing to help , internet was perfect , upon check in you get an info. sheet with all that you need to know ,like the internet code , restaurant , where the gym is at ,
thank you guys for a nice stay, I was there for 2 nts 8/21-8/22

• Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
Chicago IL
Reviewed 22 August 2012

My first stay here. Excellent location in walking distance to many attractions, lots of shopping and numerous restaurants of several different ethnic stripes. My room was small and spare, with a comfortable bed and a small desk in contemporary style, bare wood floors. bath with shower very tiny (think cruise ship) but immaculate with nice amenities.
This stay was supposed to be breakfast included. The breakfast was served in the "lobby", a tiny space next to the elevator and just past the reception desk. The only places to sit were two small ottomans. There were pots of coffee and hot water and a small lucite case with some muffins and danish. Nothing else....not exactly breakfast in my book.
The combination of the small room with no real lobby keeps this hotel from being first rate, but it still has a lot going for it.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 11 August 2012

I've stayed here a few times, always welcoming, rooms clean and tidy and if you go online before you arrive, you can pre-determine room treats. I've been here a few times and would make this one of those hotels I ask my company to look putting me in for future business trips!

Room Tip: Don't be put off by the empty space next door.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank Jonhaywooduk
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 11 August 2012

I turned to this hotel due to an online article by Huffington Post titled "In Search for NYC's best boutique hotel". Then I read reviews on multiple sites and compared. Here's my assessment: this is not a luxury hotel nor will you find cavernous rooms with wasted space. I think it is appropriately labelled boutique, but it's not a Kimpton. Hallways are narrow. My room was impeccably clean, most of the floor is clear of carpet. Decor is unique with clean, simple lines (think IKEA) but the furniture was solid. Bed was very comfortable. We were out in a flash. The air conditioning is a window unit, with which we had no issues. I was on 11 th floor and we could hear distant street noise. I've never stayed in NY hotel where you couldn't hear some street noise. Even at 18 th floor of Hilton you can hear the garbage collection, so bring your earplugs if any noise is an issue. I thought we were the only ones on the floor. It was that quiet. If you want space to walk around the room, make sure you book a larger room (like Madison King). Location, wow, cannot be beat! Staff, helpful and friendly. Drop your bag off before check in and after check out to continue enjoying NY. Value for the $$, A plus! I'll be back!!

Room Tip: Madison king is a decent size room. Who goes to NY to spend time in a hotel, anyway?
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Handen, Sweden
Reviewed 8 August 2012

I love this hotel, have stayed here the last 5 times i´ve been to New York and it´s gettin´better and better cuz ite feels more like coming home :). Small but very clean and nice rooms with a really comfortable bed.
The only thing missing in the room is a little fridge, otherwise everything is perfect.
The staff is very service minded and helpful 24/7.
Great location too
I will stay there next time again, that´s for sure.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
Hartford, CT
Reviewed 7 August 2012

I took my 80 year old mother to spend a night in NYC in July. This was her first excursion to The Big Apple and The Mave staff made it a delight. The room was available early, making settling in a breeze before venturing out into the city. A handy map was shared with us and recommendations for restaurants. The hotel is near the subway and excellent shopping. Our room was clean and comfortable with a shower that was easily accessible for my mother. I would return to The Mave in a heart beat!

Room Tip: Our room was directly across from the elevator and we did not hear a sound.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family