“Great price, great location”
Review of The MAve Hotel

The MAve Hotel
Ranked #389 of 470 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 21 April 2013

We recently returned from a 5 night stay at The MAve. Having read previous reviews we were expecting a small room, however despite the size it was clean with (most importantly) a comfortable bed. Our room faced Madison Avenue and whilst we experienced some noise at night it was never a problem, mainly because we usually returned to the hotel after midnight and were so tired we just fell asleep right away.

The hotel is situated in a great location and is within walking distance of the main attractions, such as the Empire State Building. Penn Station is approx. 10 minutes walk away, which is particularly convenient if arriving by Amtrak from the airport (we flew into Newark). Although we mostly walked everywhere we used the subway (located approx. 5 minutes walk away) on 28th Street to get across to Brooklyn, uptown to Central Park and downtown to Battery Park.

The hotel staff were very friendly, always acknowledging us as we walked by Reception. They also did their best to answer any enquiries we made. On our first evening we went to see a show and after a long day travelling we were extremely grateful to the guy on the door for hailing us a cab to take us to the theatre and saving us the bother!

The only downside would be the lack of tea/coffee making facilities in the room. However you can grab a complimentary coffee and a pastry from the breakfast area in the morning, and with plenty of places to eat and drink close by this wasn’t really an issue.

This hotel is reasonably priced, especially compared to other hotels in the area. We would definitely recommend to friends/family and if we return to New York we will be sure to stay here again.

1  Thank SLJ1983
Jason M, General Manager at The MAve Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 April 2013

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a wonderful review. We are delighted we were able to assist in making your stay in NYC a pleasant one. I am so glad you enjoyed your time with us and we certainly look forward to welcoming you back again.

Reviewed 17 April 2013

From the moment we arrived it was as if they knew who we were. A warm welcome, assistance w bags and parking , not too mention a complimentary bottle of water was an extra nice touch.

We were in for only one night to celebrate my wife's 40th. We reserved two rooms and had to add a 3rd at last minute. They were able to accommodate and honor the existing rate we had for the others rooms.

To our surprise we found a bottle of champagne and box of chocolates in the room with a nice note from management wishing my wife a happy birthday. I'd forgotten that I mentioned it when making the reservations.

The rooms are on the smaller side, but nicely decorated and include all modern conveniences. The bed was extremely comfortable.

All in all - great room - great location and great service! We'll be back for sure!!!!

Thanks MAve!!!!

• Stayed: April 2013

Thank you for choosing The MAve to celebrate your wife's 40th Birthday! We recognize you have endless options for accommodations in Manhattan and we are happy to have been your hotel of choice. We are delighted you had such a pleasant experience. Hopefully we have the opportunity to see you again during your next trip. Thanks again for the great feedback.

Reviewed 15 April 2013

Nice service, lovely lobby and lovely free continental breakfast with teeny, hip, clean rooms--the problem is the location--on the same block as a nightclub and close to Gansevoort rooftop bar--so you get rowdy hooting and hollering on the street til 3am. Like staying in Times Square--Too noisy for sleeping. I cannot go back.

1  Thank JoanCYardleyPA

Thank you for the candid feedback; I am surprised to hear of the noise level, as the Flatiron District is much quieter and calmer than Times Square. I am so sorry you were unable to enjoy a restful night's sleep and I hope you will reconsider and visit us again in your future travels.

Reviewed 14 April 2013

I can't say enough how I was disappointed with this hotel! Tripadvisor said the rooms were small so I paid to upgrade from the "urban full" to the Madison Queen." What a disappointment! I travel to NY and in Europe regularly so I know that rooms are not large but I expect small rooms to be at least well laid out. This one was not!!!

What was wrong? If this was a "Queen bed" it was the smallest I've ever seen! The room was so small that they could only fit a night table on one side. unfortunately the free outliets were on the side without the nightstand. where was I to charge my phone? The room around the bed was minimal. so minimal that if you were on the right side of the bed it was almost impossible to go around the bed and reach the bathroom! The room at the foot of the bed (maybe a foot) was blocked by the flat panel on the wall! No way one could walk around the bed late at night to go to the bathroom! The desk was a decent size but if someone was sitting at it you did not have access to the bathroom! There was no outlet to charge a PC at the desk!

The closet was almost nonexistent! only a few hangers on a rail. When you take into account the robes and the ironing board there was almost no room to hang anything! One plus: drawer space was great!

The bathroom: tiny and the ultimate in poor layout! No place to put toiletries! It was so cramped, one could barely reach the handle to flush the toilet! The toilet paper had to be hung vertically and when the roll was full it was difficult to be unfurled! All the towels had to fit on one bar; a bar so cramped that more than once the towel fell off and right into the toilet.!

The room was heated or cooled by an in-window unit. This allowed in much noise! The hotel acknowledged this by offering earplugs to block out noise! This was necessary especially on weekday morning even in our 7th floor rooms!

Breakfast, It was coffee. good. but only pastries beside that! As someone who is on a low carb diet there was nothing for me!

this was a budget hotel. I often see it offered for $300+ per night. I got a deal at $200/night so tried it but I would never stay again!

It is a great location though and that is why I stayed here when I got what I thought was a "deal!" Never again!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple

I am so sorry to hear your stay with us was so unpleasant. Thank you for taking time to share your observations; guest feedback is extremely important, allowing us to identify our strengths and highlight opportunities for improvement. We strive for excellence and take all constructive feedback into consideration.

The satisfaction and comfort of our guests is always our #1 priority. I am genuinely saddened that we were unable to meet your expectations.

Reviewed 11 April 2013

My family and I took a quick trip to NYC to celebrate birthdays. We have stayed in Times Square several times (a nightmare) and Chelsea previously. The MAve Hotel gave us the best experience. The rooms are modern and a nice size. The staff was courteous and friendly. We arrived before lunch and our room was not ready. They held our bags while we went out and moved us to an available room when we arrived and the room we were assigned to was not ready. Also the location is great. The subway is a couple blocks away and being in the Flatiron District puts you steps away from other great neighborhoods. Next time I take a trip to NYC, I will definitely stay here.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family

I am so happy to hear you are pleased with your experience and we were able to meet your expectations. We look forward to welcoming you back during your next visit!

Reviewed 10 April 2013

We stayed here for 6 nights and were very pleased with the hotel. It was in a great location, not far from the subway, which was a great link to get around the city and walking distance to the flat iron district and the empire state building. The rooms were small but perfect for what you needed. Nice and clean and newly furnished. The beds were so comfy and bathroom was massive with a walk-in shower. There was also free wifi. The breakfast was lovely with fresh pastries and tea/coffee, just what you need to get started for your day.
The staff were very friendly and were always on hand to help with anything you needed.
Over all, it was a wonderful boutique and inexpensive hotel and we will definitely be returning here on our next stay in NYC. Thanks for a wonderful stay!!

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for the glowing review! We are delighted you enjoyed your time with us and hope you visit The MAve again in your travels. Thanks for recognizing the cleanliness of our guest rooms and the friendly staff. We work very hard to ensure our rooms are spotless and our team is ready and available to assist!

Reviewed 9 April 2013

The Mave is a modern hotel with clean and comfortable bedrooms. When we arrived we found out that our bedroom was tiny so we asked for a bigger one. They gave us a bigger bedroom but we had to pay a little more. It would be useful if they wrote the room size on the booking webpage so that customers can decide if they want to pay less and stay in a tiny bedroom or pay a little more and stay in a normal bedroom. The staff was extremely nice and breakfast was good. The only missing thing was orange juice. The breakfast area is small but very nice. The location is fantastic. The Mave is very close to two subway stops and to many restaurants and cafes.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple

Thanks for the great review! I am happy to hear we were able to accommodate you in a guest room that you were comfortable with. When securing reservations on our web site and choosing the room type that best fits your needs, the square footage is listed in the description portion above the rate. I hope this helps!