“Contemporary and conveniently located”
Review of The MAve Hotel

The MAve Hotel
Ranked #387 of 470 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 1 December 2013

A modern, small hotel that is ideally situated for most of the popular attractions. Within easy walking distance of the Empire State Building, Macy's and Times Square. The reception staff go beyond service expectation by constantly offering recommendations, directions and maps. The rooms are adequate but importantly with clean linen and plenty of hot water. The continental style breakfast of fresh pastries, fresh coffee/tea is sufficient for those with a light appetite. We were made to feel at home here and the staff could not do enough to help us make the most out of our first visit to their city.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Lynn B

Reviewed 30 November 2013

This was our second time to stay at the MAve. I had emailed them earlier in the year to inquire about Thanksgiving. Nick emailed me back and we booked our stay. Prior to our arrival, Nick assisted us with dinner reservations. It is so nice to have your reservations for dinner set up prior to arriving. The recommendations are appreciated. We arrived on Wednesday, the evening before Thanksgiving. We were promptly upgraded and we loved our room! It was comfortable, warm, and inviting. A hand-written note and a bottle of wine was left for us, which I really appreciated. The note was to welcome us back! The staff as a whole is friendly and informative. The subway is one block away and the hotel is two subway stops from Times Square. There is also a taxi stand across the street. The MAve serves coffee and pastries in the morning, which are fresh and delicious. We absolutely won't stay anywhere else!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JaneCScottsvilleNY
Reviewed 27 November 2013

NYC has become my favourite destination as both a tourist & for a pre-Xmas season de-stress and the bars/restaurants in the Murray Hill area are my evening hangouts. I usually stay at another Hotel but (fortunately) it wasn't available so initially The MAve was just a convenient alternative.
Greeted in a genuinely friendly manner, check-in took a matter of moments and I was on my way up to my room (Urban Full - the most basic available);
not large but with a queen size bed, large flatscreen TV with more channels than I expected, a desk and a Bathroom.
The Bathroom, standard fare but special mention for the walk-in shower with a shower head that didn't require you to get wet bit-by-bit, that worked at a good pressure and had hot water available at whatever time I required it.
The staff were always smiling, well-presented and seemed prepared to go that extra step to make your visit more enjoyable.
Location-wise it is situated within a stones-throw of the Flatiron Building & a 10 minute walk from the ESB but far enough off the 'tourist trail' to be relatively quiet. A wide & varied selection of Bars (Whiskey Rebel is my 'local'), Restaurants & Eateries are just a short walk away as is access to the Metro at 28th St. (both 4,5,6 & N,Q,R lines).
I can say, in all honesty, that The MAve is now my 'first choice' Hotel for my visits to this wonderful City.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
4  Thank dbfdave
Reviewed 25 November 2013

We tormented ourselves with which hotel to get for NYC, didn't want insanely expensive nor did we want a creepy roach infested closet. Groupon just so happened to have a sale for this hotel and after looking at reviews we finally decided to take the plunge.

After taking an all night flight and arriving at the hotel at 7am, well before check in time, we had asked previously if they could hold our luggage, which they said they would for free. When we arrived they didn't agree to hold our luggage, but instead let us check in to our room EARLY! What a bonus!

Being used to bigger hotel rooms this definitely was a shock, very tiny rooms but this is NY afterall, so that is to be expected. But for what little we had, it was clean and modern looking... The beds were comfortable after a long day and night in the city that never sleeps. Unlike a lot of the comments here, I didn't have a problem at all with the noise.

It was also a really decent location, you expect to walk in NY and I felt this was a great spot for the places we wanted to visit.

Would stay here again!

Room Tip: Sounds like we lucked out by getting a room on a higher floor because the complaints say the lower y...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Wayofthefuture
Reviewed 14 November 2013

..for what you paid. What is best about The MAve is the location, on 27th and Madison, close to Penn Station and to Grand Central. It is more a residence with hotel services rather than a hotel itself. We booked two single rooms. Rooms are very tiny, very very tiny, and so is the bathroom. The A/C – Heating unit is noisy, and wind gets into the room through the device... and whether your room is located on the 3rd or 7th floor, the noise coming from the street will wake you up early morning and keep you company during the night. Beds are comfortable. We might have gotten high rates due to the fact the hotel was almost fully booked, but since this is a review on what I got for what I paid, it was not worth at all the expense. Free Wi-Fi but so slow that made impossible not only to work, but even to surf the internet. It usually took 30 seconds to load every HTML page. I wish I could have paid for a quicker connection, but that was not possible either. I complained about the internet speed, and receiption said they would have looked into it. Nothing changed all over the week we have stayed. On checking out, I once again complained about internet speed and again they said they would have checked it. There is no valet service. They do not have anyone who could help you with the bags and take them in your room. I had to help an elderly guest, because reception would have helped just for the four steps before the elevators. There is no business centre. Laundry is not delivered to your room, you should pick it up from reception. There are not even toilets in the lobby. I asked that the cordless phone in my room be fixed – it was not working – and nothing happend. At the end of the week the phone was still not working.
The pictures on the website are very well taken and tell a story which is different from reality. I should frankly admit I have been mistaken by the pictures. I would stay here again only if the room rates were at least half of what we paid. Oh, breakfast is still almost non-existing.

Room Tip: Try getting a floor as high as possible.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank Stekl70
Reviewed 11 November 2013

My husband and I stayed here this past weekend for a quick getaway to NYC. What a lucky find! We were impressed from start to finish. Our objectives: to find a reasonably priced, clean accommodation (nearly impossible in NYC) that had a good location! We hit the jackpot! The reason I rated it "very good" and not "excellent" is because when people see "excellent" I think they think of 5-star properties. This is NOT a full-service hotel, with a concierge, bar, swimming pool and the works. It is, however, EXCELLENT at being a boutique hotel.

We received pleasant service at check-in and check-out, our room was clean, the presentation of it was quite acceptable, and the location was fantastic. Also, due to the fact that it is a boutique hotel, we didn't have to wait forever to catch the elevator, as there are only a limited amount of rooms in this hotel. Not only would I stay here again, but I would highly recommend it to any of our friends looking for a great home base to stay when visiting this amazing city. If you are looking for affordable, clean, and convenient, go here. If you are looking for lavish and fancy, look elsewhere. The rooms are small and for some people, it might be noisy, but you are in one of the cities that never sleeps. This hotel is walking distance from lots of major attractions, but also a short walk to both the subway and the path to make your travel even easier.

A few tips - First tip: I almost ALWAYS book my hotel stays directly through the hotel website, however this time we got the deal through booking.com and had an excellent experience. The second tip: while "breakfast" (a muffin/croissant and a cup of coffee/tea) is a wonderful and welcome addition to your stay and may/may not be included with your stay (I'm not sure if it's only with certain rooms or deals or what), there is an absolutely fantastic cafe/deli that I stumbled upon around the corner called Cafe 28. That's a great place to go grab something quick and substantial before starting your journey for the day. Third tip: The valet parking (not in and out service) $45 is a good deal in that area for a 24 hour period. Fourth tip: They have free wifi...bonus! Last tip: Due to current construction, it's a little tricky to see the awning. If you know the two cross streets, it's on the corner.

Enjoy your visit and your stay! :)

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 November 2013

We stayed at the MAve on our 4th trip to New York for 3 nights. We arrived at the hotel quite early in the morning after arriving by cruise ship, our room was not ready when we arrived which was fine as we weren't planning on spending time at the hotel during the day. We were greeted with very friendly reception staff who helped us with all our bags and gave us directions where to go and even where to find great coffee!
After our day out we arrived back at the hotel where our room was ready and we settled in. We noticed they were setting up for road works on 27th Street however we didn't realise they would last ALL night! This made for a very unpleasant nights sleep. The road works continued all through the 2nd night also, the hotel provided us with ear plugs to help drown out the noise. Thankfully the last night we stayed there was no road works and we had a very comfortable sleep. The beds were very comfortable and big. The room was of a decent size as we had been upgraded to a King room. Breakfast was provided on the top floor however we did not use this facility. The bathroom was large and spacious however the drainage was not real great and water went everywhere! There was the standard drain in the shower and also another one in the centre of the room.
The location of the hotel was great, just a short walk to the Empire State Building and Macy's, there were lots of eating places around so you would never get hungry, close to Park Ave. There was a good little store across the road 'Essen' for all your snacky type foods.
All in all (apart from the noise issue) we really enjoyed our stay at the Mave and would recommend it for anyone that doesn't want to stay midtown with all the hustle & bustle of Times Square.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple