“Awesome location”
Review of The MAve Hotel

The MAve Hotel
Ranked #387 of 470 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 8 March 2014

This place was only like 8 mins from the Empire State bldg, short walking distance from the subway stations. We got the queen madison room and it was perfect size for 2 people. It was small, but it was very warm and cozy for us! The bed was ok, we were so exhausted from the day though it didn't matter. The staff was really nice and helpful when we needed directions or a cab. shower would take a while to heat up, a few mins, but it was great once it got going. I think there was breakfast from 7-9 but we never made it.
Overall great experience and we would stay again !

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 7 March 2014

I booked with a Groupon and stayed 6 nights. The hotel staff are amazing and helpful and super nice. Room was small but clean. Bed was comfortable. Heater/Air unit was noisy but that was probably a good thing as it blocked the street noise.

My main complaint with the room was one of those half door things on the shower so the water spilled out and I had to use many towels to dry up the floor. Never have understood why so many hotels use half doors, they do not work.

Another complaint was the breakfast. It was just tea, coffee and choice of a couple pastries. It was only available for a couple hours. I skipped it and ate across the street.

This is an inexpensive (for the area) hotel and is a good place to stay. I would /will stay there again. It is not the Plaza but it is very very comfortable for the price.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank mojad
Reviewed 4 March 2014

Booked an overnight on Groupon for a mother- daughter trip to NYC. First the positives. Location was excellent. Room was very clean and the bed was extremely comfortable. Front desk reception staff nice, but maybe a little inexperienced. Breakfast consisted of some morning pastries which were very good, but no frills, and the area where it is set up in their small lobby was hard to maneuver with the breakfast crowd (we took it back to our room). The shower took a very long time to get hot (at one point I thought it would never get hot). It was a good value if you really are only looking for a place to lay your head down at night.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank college11
Reviewed 1 March 2014

We found this place on Priceline and had a great time. It's very centrally located on the southern edge of Midtown, so we were able to explore as far north as Central Park and as far south as NYU/Washington Square Park area by foot. It's also right by a subway line that will take you right into the heart of Battery Park, although we found out that part of line is under construction with Canal Street as the last stop before Brooklyn. Another bonus we discovered is that they do complimentary bag check, which was fantastic for getting the most out of our last day in the city.

We had a street facing room and were a little worried about noise. Between 1 and 3AM it was a little rowdy on the street but nothing that kept us awake. Also, just note the room we had was really small (just enough room for a full-queen bed and a dresser), so it wouldn't be great for more than a couple. If you're planning to spend a lot of your time spreading out in your room, this isn't the place for you.

The only downside was it could use a little freshening up. New towels, some recaulking in the shower, and a Magic eraser on the scuff marks on the white walls and I would give this place a 5.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JS81
Reviewed 28 February 2014

It is such a great place with such a great monster size bed! I loved it. But really no vegetables or fruits at breakfast. All I need is an apple or mango or banana (and coffee of course). So if you're supposing to stay there more than a few days be ready to update your weight :}

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 24 February 2014

When I checked in 6 days ago, I learned that their WiFi was down for five consecutive days. As a business traveler who relies on the Internet, I would expect an email prior to check-in to inform me of such an issue so I could make other arrangements. Consequently, I was unable to attend a web meeting and had to leave my room every 2-3 hours to check/send email at Starbucks (4 blocks away + the cost of food/beverages). I didn't appreciate having to do this later in the evening and my clients didn't appreciate having to wait.

I was nervous about today's reservation (booked weeks ago/pre-paid), so the front desk staff recommended that I call the night before and confirm that the Internet was working. I called last night at 8pm and was told it is 100% operational. I checked-in today at 4pm and it still isn't operational. Another night at a hotel that advertises to a business traveler, but doesn't have WiFi or a temporary solution after 10+ days. They also advertise free Internet on their website, but they charge $10 when you are on property.

To make matters worse, when I entered the bathroom, there was a dying roach in the shower. To the front desk's credit, they arrived within 5 minutes to remove it.

Room Tip: The website claims "free internet" (see below) but they charge $10 when you arrive. “In...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Mazzy606
Reviewed 16 February 2014

Fair enough, we were looking for a lower cost option than usual on our recent visit to NY, however photos and forums can be misleading. We booked through Booking.com for a pay now deal. When no money had been taken 2 weeks later we phoned the hotel to check our booking - they denied all knowledge. Booking.com were great and provided me with proof they had made the booking, but The MAve had clearly lost it. Eventually all was sorted and fine. On arrival at the hotel it was easy to see why the booking had gone wrong as the tiny reception desk was manned by young staff wrapped up in coats against the bitter cold. The rooms were (as we had expected) small even though we had booked a boulevard king and Madison queen. What can I say, the bed was clean and comfy and the shower powerful and hot most of the time. (Evenings seemed to be an issue). This could be a boutique hotel if the attention to detail was there, but it felt like corners had been cut to save money and this had left it in the league of plain old cheap hotel. There is nowhere in the hotel to eat, room service being provided by a local hostelry. Not a problem. Plenty of places nearby to get breakfast or evening dinner.

I have to admit I was disappointed. The hype was there but no substance. I can't complain about the staff, they were friendly and helpful, but this was only to a certain point. The MAve is a no frills hotel and if it's only somewhere to sleep, then will fit the bill perfectly. Pack your PJs and bed socks if you're going in winter as heating in the rooms is patchy.

Room Tip: Pay for the biggest room you can afford!
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family