“Horrible”

Ranked #382 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Toronto, Canada
“Horrible”
Reviewed 5 May 2014

I didn't even stay here and I hate this hotel. My friends and I were visiting from Toronto and had booked with The MAve months in advance through Booking.com. While ON ROUTE to NYC (a 9 hour drive) I got an email saying that The MAve had decided not to honour our reservation, as they had given our room to a last minute walk-in. Not even a day in advance. We were already on our way there. They obviously decided that it was better for them to charge someone up the wahzoo rather than honour our reservations. I was not impressed. Luckily, Booking.com found us a room at the Affinia Manhattan - a better room for the exact same price. Save your money and go elsewhere.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Geetika L

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 May 2014

Well , we had a great trip to New York and the location of teh stay was pretty good. Hwever, although I knew this was a "boutique" hotel, so it was going to be somewhat quaint, it was a lot smaller than i expected, although very clean.

If you wnat usual hotel comfort and space this isnt the hotel for you. (our double bed was up against the wall with only a little space the other side.

If you want a peaceful nights sleep, this isnt the hotel for you. Noisy outside, till about 05.00 am then from 06.00 onwards.

If you want a good location for sites .. good choice. just round corner from Grand Central, Statue of Liberty and the Rock centre.Good Transport links nearby.

on the whole it was OK but I was disappopinted with the room.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Virgin Holidays

Sydney
Reviewed 30 April 2014

Unfortunately our stay at The Mave was not a good one.
When we arrived they informed us we had been downgraded from a King to a Queen room due to some damage in the room we were meant to be in. Although they took $20 off per night the room we were given it was not good. We found the staff to be a little unhelpful at times and the rooms are tired and do not have adequate heating, plus the windows are not double glazed so the air comes in as does the inevitable noise in NYC! We had to call to get someone to close our window as it had been left open when we arrived and the latch was broken, it was eventually fixed thank goodness. As an extra note do not expect tea and coffee facilities in your room they do not provide anything like this. If you are not looking for any more than a bed and bathroom then this place is value for money I guess.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Wilmington, Delaware
Reviewed 17 April 2014

Our stay could not have been much worse. We booked our room through booking.com. We had four people so we booked a room with two queens. When we got to the hotel, the person at the desk asked us if we booked two rooms. Should have known that was a red flag. We said we hadn't. He handed us a room key. When we arrived upstairs it was one king size bed for a family of four. I was furious he even tried to send us there knowing full well and seeing that we had four people.

When we asked to be moved to a room with two queens we were told all the rooms were booked. We had our booking confirmation receipt with us to show that we had prepaid for this room. He apologized and said they were overbooked "because the weather is warm." As if that made any sense.

They offered us two rooms on two different floors to compensate which would have been nice except that the two children needed to be with mom overnight. They could not accommodate a roll away bed legally in the room so they brought a mattress to place on the floor. The room was so small that we could not even fully open the door with the mattress on the floor. Never mind the fact that numerous other people had to be moved to other hotels when they checked in in the evening because of the serious overbooking problem.

I figured for all of the trouble the hotel gave us that they could kick in a day of free wifi. When I requested this I was yelled at and told that if I had a problem I could call the manager in the morning. Wifi is $9.99 per day. Ridiculous.

I've never been in such a small hotel in my life and I've stayed in many places in New York. To top it all off, the walls were PAPER thin. We could hear word for word what was going on in the room over and out in the hallway. To couple all of this with such abysmal service and mediocre pricing made it worse. We will never be back.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank hope_brinn
Reviewed 11 April 2014

I booked a room quite in advance and chose carefully as prices are very high in Manhattan but I didnt want to stay in a shoebox either. Well when we arrived we found ourself in a room with a 120 cm bed and not enough space to fit three pieces of luggage and this for a very very high price. I have been to New York several times but never saw something like it. When I asked the reception if theyre sure that this was the right room they were willing after some time to actually check it. Of course it wasnt and of course they made a mistake with the reservation and of course they had not the room available I actually booked and payed for. They told me that until the next day we had to accept it. When I told them I wouldnt pay the same price for a shoebox as for a much bigger room due to a mistake they made they just told me they couldnt do ANYTHING about it. Just after when asking for the manager, which I really never never never do, they found, suddenly, a solution. Finally, we were moved to the booked room the next day. The room was okay, the bedsheets were used which is just gross. But of course changing bedsheets isnt that easy either. The "breakfast" they offer is a instant coffee with a piece of muffin beside the elevators. Apart from that the internet was very bad, I could not do any work due to the slowest connection ever and be careful it is not for free! One last thing: dont take the taxi service to the airport they offer, it cost much more then getting a yellow cab.
I would never go back and even if NY is well known for small rooms for a high price this was just impertinent. Sorry.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Isimee
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 5 April 2014

Although from the outside and the lobby this hotel doesn't look great, we really enjoyed our stay here. There was a young man on reception that couldn't do enough to help us which was brilliant when you don't know your way around the city. The rooms were spacious and very clean. Bed was very comfy and we always had clean towels daily, I would definitely stay here again and recommend it.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Virgin Holidays

Crawcrook
Reviewed 2 April 2014 via mobile

We stayed at the mave recently for a week, we found the room to be much larger than expected particularly the bed which was huge! The room was modern and clean with everything that we needed, the staff were really lovely and helpfull (apart from 1!). The negatives were that breakfast is supposed to be served from 7-9 yet we were down at 840 on 2 occasions to everything put away and not even a sniff of coffee! There is a great breakfast place called Essen directly opposite though that we would highly recommend! We were on the 11th floor and although we had no trouble getting hot water the power to the shower was rather poor almost "catch the drips"! Aside from the minor negatives a great place to sleep in a fab location.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple