“A lil gem - modern with delightful staff”
Review of The MAve Hotel

The MAve Hotel
Ranked #383 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Nashville, TN (BNA)
“A lil gem - modern with delightful staff”
Reviewed 2 July 2014

Getting stuck in NYC we had to find a reasonably priced hotel, preferably in the city. Searching online, this was just the location we wanted. It was pouring, we walked into this hotel at 11 pm or so, clearly exhausted, and guy at the desk could not have been nicer. It must have been obvious we had "One of those days" - then gave us an upgrade. Walking into the room was such a pleasant surprise - modern, with a heavenly, comfortable bed. Down pillows. Just what we needed. Pleasantly surprised in NYC doesn't happen too often, it is usually the other way around. I would stay here again in a heartbeat, even without the upgrade!

Room Tip: High floor has a lovely penthouse if you want to pay a few extra bucks, or are lucky enough to score...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank pokuneff

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Bloomington, Indiana
Reviewed 2 July 2014

I actually stayed at the MAve during Labor Day weekend last year. A friend and I stayed 3 days and 2 nights in the city. The MAve was perfect--great location, friendly staff, clean and modern rooms. Most everything we needed was within walking distance and there was a subway stop very close. Overall a great experience and affordable. I would definitely recommend!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed 26 June 2014

The MaVe is a very well located hotel that also looks good. I stayed two nights in a room in the 10th floor. The room was big enough, well decorated and nice. The bathroom though small, is very good, full of amenities and towels.
The bed is comfortable and there is plenty of space to leave things.

There are a couple of things to keep in mind:
- the wifi: they offer wifi for a charge. However from my room I could catch at least three different open wifis on the area with good quality.
- the taxi service: they will tell you at the desk that to hail a taxi is hard and to book with them, they will tell you the regular cab to JFK costs 65 and theirs cost 70. To hail a cab is no issue, in particular because the hotel is at the corner of a taxi stop. To go to JFK on a yellow cab is 52 (not 65), and theirs is 75. The ticket I got for their service could not look more illegal and the taxi driver made me pay before arrival "because there is always police in this terminal".

Apart from this two details, I strongly recommend this hotel, it is very good value for money.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank ec_grs
Singapore
Reviewed 19 June 2014

This is my 4th visit to New York City and I booked a single room at The MAve hotel again. Yes, this is also my 4th visit to The MAve. With the exception of a few familiar faces, almost all the staff at The MAve are new. I have no problem with wifi - connection is good and I was given a room at level 4. My room was cleaned and towels were replaced daily.

There was road works outside the hotel during one of the nights and some guests were affected by the noise. However, the noise did not affect me as I was very tired after walking in NYC for most of the day.

For breakfast, previously hotel guests had their breakfast in the hotel and we had coffee / tea and a selection of muffin and other pastries. However, for current arrangement, hotel guests are issued breakfast coupons and each coupon is entitled to only one free muffin and coffee over at Essen, a deli opposite Mave.

You can consider reserving a room at MAve if clean room and accessibility to subway are important criterial to you when choosing a hotel for your stay at NYC.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
Sao Paulo, SP
Reviewed 18 June 2014

The room is extremelly small and the internet is not working!! We are having troubles troubles to move inside the room!! The price is too high about 240 to 300 US dollar per day!! Definitely I don't recomend!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Fernando T
San Francisco
Reviewed 14 June 2014

I visit my NYC office once a month and have stayed at most of the options in the Flatiron-ish area. I just spent my second four-day jaunt at the MAve.

On the plus side, you'll get good value for your money, a great location, hip-ish without trying too hard decor, and despite what other reviewers have said, good sized rooms for NYC.

Most of the negatives are those you will encounter at any NYC hotel. Yes it can be noisy. If you want silence, go to Duluth. I do agree that the MAve boasts some of the rudest staff in the area...well maybe not so much rude as uninterested. But if you're looking to make friends with the bellmen, you should reconsider your priorities anyway.

The MAve is a much better choice than its neighbor, the Carleton, and is a MUCH better choice than the Flatiron.

Room Tip: The rooms on Madison seem to be the largest.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank jerrySF
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed 9 June 2014

We stayed for four nights recently and had no major complaints. The rooms are small, and the hotel can be quite noisy depending on whats happening outside on the streets but this is typical of New York. If you want peace and quiet in a tranquil setting then don't go to NYC! The single most important feature is the location which is terrific. We walked everywhere.
Our room was clean and the beds were comfy. We found the front desk staff to be quite friendly and helpful. My ONLY real complaint was that the windows on our side of the hotel were quite dirty which made it hard to see out but this was minor.

Good value for the location IMO. Oh and as for the balloons covering the floor in the room adjacent the lobby... this is a retail space for lease I believe and doesn't have anything to do with the hotel. Balloons are a cheap/quick way to pretty the floor up until someone rents it.

Room Tip: Higher floors MAY help with the street noise but we were on the 5th floor and still heard our share...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple