“Great Location and Service! Definitely going back as soon as possible!”
Review of The MAve Hotel

The MAve Hotel
Ranked #383 of 467 Hotels in New York City
San Jose, Costa Rica
“Great Location and Service! Definitely going back as soon as possible!”
Reviewed 28 February 2011

During our stay at The Mave, the staff was extremely helpful at all times. Whether it was to suggest a restaurant, make reservations or give us a general idea of what the city has to offer.

Very knowledgeable about the city and always going the extra mile to make sure we were happy and comfortable.

Also the location is great with the subway really close and many restaurants and attractions within walking distance.

Highly recommended for anyone visiting NYC.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 27 February 2011

I travelled to New York for the long weekend in February with four ladies for a weekend of shopping and eating. I came across The MAve during a random hotel search and decided to take a chance on this new hotel. Having never been to NYC I wasnt sure what to expect. I had heard stories of small, cramped, noisey NYC hotels but I am happy to say that I experienced non of the above at the MAve. The rooms were a great size, clean, and very modern and the beds were unbelievably comfortable. We heard very little noise from the street, no more than you would here in Toronto where we are from. The continental breakfast was nice and front desk staff were very helpful and attentive. The location was also fantastic, a short walj to the Empire State Building, around the corner from the Flatiron Building and right between two subway stops. Overall our stay was great and I would recommend this hotel to anyone travelling to the city - familes, friends, couples.

Boston, MA
Reviewed 25 February 2011

Stayed for 2 nights during weekly business in NYC. Location is super although I had walked past the hotel many times during previous visits and never noticed it. Check-in was quick and very efficient in the intimate lobby. Only one elevator during my stay but it was fast plus the stairway is open and very convenient. I was given a room on the Fifth floor right next to the stairs so I was concerned about noise however I never heard a sound from the halls which was an extremely pleasant surprise. Room was a basic square with king bed and hardwood floors. Temperature was very good although the unit was loud. Bathroom located right next to the door --- small in size but everything was extremely clean and the walk-in shower was well designed so that surprising little water collected outside the opening. I also appreciated the drawer in the bathroom vanity -- excellent for stowing toiletries out of the way. Because I was a registered member of the Desire Hotels loyalty club, two cans of soda and two snacks were waiting for me along with a welcome note from the staff. Desk was next to the bed and was a good size. Lighting was either an overhead fixture or two bedside fixtures -- very good for reading in bed. I also really appreciated having the television station listing so easily available on the desk --- sometimes so hard to find the specific program you are looking for. Bed was loaded with pillows and a nice down comforter --- unfortunately there was a stain right at the top of the comforter -- looked like coffee but who knows. Also wireless was free and strong signal. Bed itself was very comfortable and would have thought a good night sleep was in order however the street noise was terrible even though the rooms overlook 27th and not Madison Ave. Sirens until very late at night and delivery trucks starting at about 5 in the morning. They also offer a complimentary grab-and-go continental breakfast in the lobby in the morning which was a nice perk however a little difficult to navigate all of the rolling luggage.
My final impression is that this is a good budget choice --- room was clean and basic --- especially if you are a heavy sleeper. The location is great.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled on business
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 15 February 2011

We have stayed at the Mave twice with our 2 children (ages 6 and 4) and we love this hotel! The price is so reasonable that it makes you want to do more trips to NYC! The staff is wonderful and they make you feel so at home. The free breakfast in the morning is a delight and a huge perk. The coffee and danishes are wonderful. Our room was immaculate. They are a bit small, but for the amount of time we stayed in the room, it was cozy and relaxing. The location of this hotel is a dream...you can get anywhere quickly and Madison Square Park is right next door...perfect for the kids! This hotel is a gem. We had no problem with noise...our kids slept in every morning. Definitely a great value for a clean, groovy hotel with a quaint feel.

Stayed January 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank AtlantaFam
Varkiza, Greece
Reviewed 14 February 2011

This brand new modern hotel on the corner of 27th Street and Madison Avenue is convenient to the subway, lots of restaurants, Madison Square Park, and the Empire State Building. Staff is friendly and helpful, and the rooms are attractive, in a minimal unfussy way, and tidy. Our room (701) was also very small, which was expected, especially at under $110/night. Though the bed is firm, it's comfortable enough, with not a bedbug in sight. No bath, just a shower, with fairly low pressure, though it gets nice and hot. The real problem is the noise: our room faced the avenue, which is well traveled by taxis and Mack trucks. Also, the heating/AC unit in the window sounded like a jet taking off, and the air in the room was extremely dry, causing real discomfort. We solved our problems with (1) earplugs from Walgreens and (2) soaking a towel in water and hanging it on the dresser in front of the roaring heater, thereby getting a little humidity. Unexpected perks for the price: free wifi (YES!), fitness center and complimentary breakfast. No bar, but they may be building one soon. The 6 train took us nearly everywhere we wanted to go (museums uptown, Century 21 shopping downtown) and the restaurants nearby seemed inexhaustible. I'd definitely consider this hotel again if the price was right, but if it got more expensive I'd prefer a B&B.

1 Thank brooklyngal
Lincoln, Nebraska
Reviewed 11 February 2011

We chose the MAve because the price was so good, but I was very pleased with the relaxed atmosphere and wonderfully responsive service. I had a lot of special requests and they were very quick and pleasant about accommodating me. The rooms were immaculate. True, they were a bit small, but HELLO, it's a historic building in NYC. What do you expect? The furniture and appointments are delightfully modern, the bed was very comfortable, the bathroom was AWESOME, and the individual heat controls kept me nice and cozy during cold NYC winter evenings. They even had one of those one-shot coffee makers in the room with TEA pods, instead of just coffee pods which I totally appreciated. It's really a great home base for exploring the city.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank marykate_gulick
USA
Reviewed 25 January 2011

I stayed at the MAve Hotel twice (for several nights each time) in the span of several weeks in January, and I would enthusiastically recommend it. I'm a frequent traveler and am usually more inclined to complain about hotels than to praise them, but this hotel earned my enthusiasm, so I wanted to highlight it.
As others have noted, the service was consistently excellent - the kind that you would expect at a hotel three times this price, but rarely found in New York at any price. I was on crutches at the time, and the staff went out of their way to help.
I think that the MAve offers unparalleled value for money in New York: the rooms are decent sized (although I should add that I stayed in a king room), are furnished in a modern style and offer all the amenities that a visitor could need, and there were none of the problems that so often plague New York hotels (the free wireless worked perfectly, there was always hot water, the air-conditioning/heating worked and didn't generate much noise, etc.). Although some others have complained about the breakfast, it worked perfectly for me - the chance to grab a couple of croissants (of different types and good quality) on the way out the door is what I want when I'm in town for business. Moreover, as others have noted, the location is excellent.
I plan to return to the hotel and would definitely recommend it to visitors to New York. I'd also recommend that potential visitors check out their website, which offers some good deals.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled on business