“Nicest theater staff- cramped seats”

Walter Kerr Theater
Ranked #270 of 1,097 things to do in New York City
Killingworth, Connecticut
107 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 152 helpful votes
“Nicest theater staff- cramped seats”
Reviewed 19 August 2014 via mobile

We just attended "A Gentlemans Guide to Love and Murder" which was a great show. Our tickets were at the will call window which I will ALWAYS do from now on. When we arrived we found out that Jefferson Mays was absent and the understudy would be performing. My husband whined a bit and they upgraded us to 5th row seats. The seats themselves were very, very narrow. I'm short but a bit ample in the waist. No problem with leg room but the whole row had ample people and we felt like sardines stuffed in a can - very uncomfortable. On the other hand, an elderly, frail man came in walking with two canes. The staff were so accommodating for him pointing out the accessible restroom and offering to bring beverages if he and his guest wanted them.

Effingham, Illinois
152 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 179 helpful votes
“Loved the play A Gentleman's Guide to Love and Murder”
Reviewed 2 August 2014

Saw the play, "A Gentleman's Guide to Love and Murder," and enjoyed the comedy. Wonderful actors and actresses! Theatre was nice. Good seats. One actor played several different people from the same family and was wonderful. Play moved along quickly.

Visited July 2014
Dallas, PA
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 91 helpful votes
“Poorest Obstructed View”
Reviewed 28 July 2014

Attending the show, A Gentleman's Guide to Love and Murder, made me think how likely I felt about the show. I loved the show but sitting in the balcony was pure murder. Firstly, it is NOT a balcony, but rather the catwalk for the spotlights. They place 2 rows of temporary seats in this catwalk and called it the balcony. The view was totally obstructed seeing the spot lights as you looked down to the stage which was not totally visible without standing up or at least sitting on the edge of you seat. I have been in many balcony seats in my life, but this obstructed view should be listed when you purchase the tickets. I realize it is a very small theater and they need to find seating, but at the least, state the view is obstructed. We were so high you could touch the ceiling with your extended hand and turn around and touch the air conditioning vent that was blowing on you. I would NEVER ever return to this theater again. It certainly was NOT worth the money. The show needs to find a suitable venue for their production and use this place as a warehouse.

Visited July 2014
2 Thank Hallin
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Top Down View of Gentlemen's Guide to Love and Murder”
Reviewed 6 July 2014

The show was wonderful. I had seen the original movie, but no one else in my party had. Still they enjoyed the show immensely. We were in the first row center of the balcony. Great view of the actors' heads! But occasionally a little trouble hearing the actors. People behind us in the second row balcony ended up leaving because they couldn't see. Go ahead and pay for at least the mezzanine.

Visited June 2014
Tennessee
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 47 helpful votes
“Show excellent, but theatre is cramped”
Reviewed 17 June 2014

The show was great but the theatre was a mess. No leg room. If you are over 5-11, look for an aisle seat on the side. They are the only seats with leg room. My wife, who is 5-2 had to get up to stretch because of a lack of legroom. Clearly, they crammed every seat possible in the theatre. Bar and restrooms caused massive traffic flow issues. That said, "Gentleman's Guide" is a GREAT SHOW!

Visited June 2014