“Excellent location in the Big Apple”

Comfort Inn Times Square West
Ranked #253 of 466 Hotels in New York City
Eagan, Minnesota
“Excellent location in the Big Apple”
Reviewed 6 April 2011

My husband and I stayed here during our first trip to NYC. We reserved a town car ahead of time (Carmel Car & Limos). The cost of the town car ($40 which included tip) was exactly how much a cab costs (we took a cab to the aiport when we left). The hotel is only a couple blocks from Times Square and walking distrance to Rockefeller Center. The room was very basic (and small), but was clean and had free wifi. Breakfast was usually crowded, however we learned that every place in NYC is crowded so this was not an issue. The lobby has filtered water and a computer kiosk with a printer in addition to discount coupons to NBC Studio Tours and the Top of the Rock exhibit ($2 off per person). All in all, this was a great deal ($140/night) and had nice perks and an ideal location. We planned a few activities prior to our visit (Spider-man and Statue of Liberty/Ellis Island Tour) and booked a couple upon arrival. We also visited the irish pub (Irish Rouge) across the street a couple nights and found the beer prices reasonable.

Room Tip: We booked through Expedia to find the best deal
  • Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank CappaccinoGirl

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (192)
  • Korean first
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 4 April 2011

After searching for a few weeks for a good hotel deal in NYC, I found the Comfort Inn Theatre District for less than $200. The location 2 blocks from Times Square keeps you near all the activity, but not in the middle of the traffic and throngs of people. We went to NYC to see Broadway shows, so being in the heart of the theatre district could not have been better. The hotel is also on the edge of Hell's Kitchen, so there are great restaurants and shops within easy walking distance. The rooms were very clean and the hotel staff was friendly and helpful. The free breakfast was great because of the large variety of food choices, the quality was good, and it was free! Other reviews have noted the slow elevator, but it wasn't a problem during my stay.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank TraciATL
manchester, uk
Reviewed 3 April 2011

We stayed here for 4 nights on a city break to New York. The hotel is easy to find from the bus station and is a couple of minutes walk to times square or great restaurants at Hells kitchen. We asked for a high floor with a view and got exactly that. There is some traffic noise but nothing ear plugs can't block out. The Walls are quite thin and you could hear conversations of the room next door or when in the corridor. Overall it was great value and I would stay here again.

• Stayed March 2011
Summerside, Canada
Reviewed 1 April 2011

Fantastic location , clean with awesome shower & tons of HOT water. I agree it is way too small but we were only there to have a clean place to sleep after touring the city. There are only 7 floors so I was a little disappointed that the staff never seemed to recognize my husband and he was embarrassingly questioned for his hotel information when he was getting the complimentary breakfast. An apology also would have been nice when they realized he was indeed a guest. That being said , everything else was fine and I definitely would recommend this hotel to anyone not caring about bells&whistles and who just wants a clean & comfortable place to lay their head. Location is amazing , well within short walking distances to all musicals and fine dining as well as fantastic deli's.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
North Carolina
Reviewed 22 March 2011

Stayed at this hotel on March 17-20 with a group of 28. We arrived near 9:00am and although none of our rooms were ready, they did check us in to one room so we could store ALL of our luggage, eat their wonderful breakfast and then be off to St. Patrick's Day parade. After touring most of the day, we returned and our rooms were ready and check-in was so easy. We did have a few minor issues in a couple of rooms, but the front desk clerks and housekeeping corrected them within 10 minutes.
As for the rest of the stay, the rooms were cleaned thoroughly, breakfast was always plentiful (great waffles) and clean. ALL of the front desk personnel (except for one) was very personable, gave great recommendations for restaurants, sites, subways, etc. On our last day, as our flight was not until 7pm, they let us keep one room to store all of our luggage again AND they called and arranged for transportation to LaGaurdia. All in all, a great trip and I would recommend for anyone traveling alone or in a group. FELT SAFE

• Stayed March 2011
TX
Reviewed 20 March 2011

Took taxi from LaGuardia (approx $45) to hotel. The hotel is about 2 blocks from Times Square--we walked everywhere or took the Subway (entance approx 1 block away.) The front desk was very accomodating to our every need.Our stay was 4 nights --rooms were small as all NY hotels tend to be but very clean and adequate for our needs.Beds were very comfortable. One negative--our room was right next to the vending machine--somewhat of a noise problem. A nice breakfast was included, although there are numerous eating establishments nearby if you wish something different. The price for this room was GREAT compared to other hotels in the area.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends
Cape Elizabeth, Maine
Reviewed 19 March 2011

the short:
do not go to this hotel.
- there were bed bugs in my room
- parts of my bathroom were broken
- TV signal was terrible
- coustomer service wasn't great
- this is an unComfortable Inn

the long:
Now here's what happened. My parents and I are booked for two nights here. As a joke my dad was messing around, as usual, and mentioned bed bugs. He was trying to scare me or something, and it kind of did. So I went online and read about how to check for bed bugs and how common they are. As many people know, they are very common here in New York in the past while. So naturally I freaked out even more. So I read online in two places how exactly to check for them (under the sheets, wooden headboards, matress, cloth chairs and so on) so immediately I searched. I lifed up the sheets and pillows, then I lifted up the matress -- there were two bed bugs in plain sight. bed bugs, full grown, are 1/4 inch long, and completely visable. After this incident and difficulty with customer service, I got a new room. Mind you, this particular night the hotel was fully booked, so I got someone's room who hadn't checked in yet.
I am sorry for whoever got my old room, that I was told would be "cleaned very well"
Then in my new room I did a complete search again. No bed bugs. Ok. I was more calm. Upon returning from dinner I went into the bathroom to brush my teeth and other than the hair in the shower that was erksome, my sink drain was stuck so no water could drain. Then I went to turn on the TV, nearly every channel was fuzzy and hardly any were visable at all. The windows are particularly thin and I can hear everything loud and clear from my bed...

so the point is, I highly recomend not staying here, for a Comfort Inn this stay was most uncomfortable. Also, I think everyone should do this bed bug check. No matter how nice a hotel is, there can always be bed bugs. I started checking for them on this stay because of my father's joshing around, and now I am so glad I have a technique.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with family