“Buyer Beware! Then Have a Great Time!!”

Comfort Inn Times Square West
Ranked #253 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Maplewood, Minnesota
“Buyer Beware! Then Have a Great Time!!”
Reviewed 19 November 2010

This property is in the heart of the Times Square and theater district of New York City. It's location is SENSATIONAL!! It's one and two thirds blocks from Times Square, and one third of a block from restaurant row on 8th avenue. And given it's location, it's rate is doubly SENSATIONAL!! I stayed at this property while in town for the NYC Marathon. The rate per night was $159 for a one bed (queen size) room!!! But buyer beware. If you're the kind to complain a lot about things, like street noise and small rooms, you will want to book a room down the street at the Hotel Inter-Continental for $534 per night or elsewhere near Times Square for $400-$500. Yes, $159 vs. $534. Don't misunderstand. Your chances of getting a small room or a street noisy room are only about 30%. That means you have a 70% chance of being very, very happy. The rooms on the lower level, on the street side, can be affected by street noise, and on each floor there is one room ( numbered 209, 309, 409, etc) that is 40% smaller than other one bed rooms priced at $159. I got room #509. (The morning desk clerk didn't seem to understand why I thought it was unfair to charge the same rate for a room that was 40% smaller.) Bottom line, other than location than price: The room was clean. The continental breakfast was better than average. I got a decent nights sleep, and I had a GREAT time in the Big Apple!! But buyer beware! Know what you are getting. Would l recommend this property? For location and price, and despite the drawbacks, ABSOLUTELY!!! Want to complain? OK, stay at the Inter-Continental. From one traveler to another: I LOVE the Big Apple! This property won't spoil that. After all, what are you in town for? The hotel room? Have a great time!

Stayed November 2010, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (188)
  • Korean first
edinburgh
Reviewed 18 November 2010

Just spent 5 nights at this hotel and to be honest I cannot really fault it.

I was right next to the lift on the 7th Floor. Not once did I notice the lift noise during the night. You can hear the lift from the room, but its not at a level where you will wake up if sleeping. However the lift is a little slow, but if you CANT wait a few mins, take the stairs!!

The free breakfast is a welcome treat. Yeah it was busy a couple of times, the 2 times we went down at peak time i.e 8-9pm. However if you get up early and head down then you will not have any problems.

Rooms size is just fine (I have stayed in the new yorker before and there is not much difference between the room I had there and the Comfort inn. and at the end of the day I was in NY to see the sights, to shop and to have fun in the city. The hotel is just a place to crash at the end of the night. The room is cleaned daily, new towels etc. The bathroom was a decent size, we had a small tub in our room as well as the shower.

Location is perfect, just next to T Sq, handy for the bus tours, next to hells kitchen for eating out, and it has Shake Shack at the corner. Please stop in there and try a peanut butter milkshake. The best thing I have ever tasted. Over the road from the hotel are 2 decent pubs and a couple of restaurants.

The free internet computer is a bonus, I only had to wait once or twice to get on. The staff are all friendly and helpful. We were allowed to check in 3 hours early which is always a bonus.

All in all I would definitely recommend this hotel and I would stay there again.

Also a wee tip for you all, dont bother with a taxi to and from the airport (Newark) we got the shuttle bus for $25 return per person. It stops at 42nd St bus station and leaves from 41st. Every 15 minutes, and takes around 45 mins definitely good value for money.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank steve54Edinburgh
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 14 November 2010

We go to NYC 3-4 times a year, because of the NYC Marathon we could not get a room in the Hotel that we normally stay. (We stayed 3 nights Sunday – Wednesday)After reading all the reviews we thought this would be a great place to stay. When we got into the room I had wished we had booked somewhere else. The room was very small even by NYC standards; the only area to keep your clothing is one small armoire with 2 drawers, our room was next to the elevator which we heard all night while trying to sleep! The bathroom was very small no tub just a shower stall with no place to hold your soap or shampoo. (A small shelve would have really helped) We booked a Queen Bed Room the bed in the room was not a queen bed but a double bed? We had not used an online Hotel Web site to make the reservation; the reservation was made with the Hotel directly. I had made the reservation in advance (at least 1 month) we did get a great rate on the room that was the only thing I kept thinking. We did call down to the front desk to see if we could move to a larger room. (We were informed that they could move us but the rates for the next two nights would jump $30.00 2nd night $140.003rd night?) I’ve used Tripadvisor for a long time and thought we were safe with the Hotel. Maybe we got the worst room in the place I don’t know. What I do know is we will not book at this location again. Call the property and ask questions before you book. We stayed on the second floor next to the elevator.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
Joburg
Reviewed 2 November 2010

I consider myself to be a 5* traveller, but didn't want to pay exorbitant NYC prices for a week in New York where I knew I would be spending very little time in my hotel. Even after reading the Comfort Inn Theatre District reviews, I expected a NY -style 'hole in the wall'. I was pleasantly surprised - this simple hotel is genuinely clean and definitely not cramped by New York standards. The staff were all friendly and the free fast Internet in all rooms and included breakfast were great added bonuses and made for a real no-fuss stay. The hotel is centrally located in midtown Manhattan, near to Times Square but is not noisy, and is half a block from the nearest subway station. Really great stay, great trip!

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business
Salem, Illinois
Reviewed 29 October 2010

This hotel was perfect. It was new, it was spotless, the breakfast was great and the room was plenty large enough and apparently much larger than others I read reviews about. The location was wonderful, it was within walking distance of many places and if not a short cab ride to many other places. Sure you can stay in fancy hotels with large lobbies for 300 plus a night with a bar or you can go there anyway to those hotels and come back to your hotel at the end of the night and get a good nights sleep knowing you didn't waste all that money.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
Long Prairie, Minnesota
Reviewed 25 October 2010

good location
great breakfast
rooms good
we were allowed to check in early (that was wonderful)
they held our bags for us because we had a late flight (great)
only suggestion I would make is having a time limit on the free computer with internet access( kids on there chatting with friends)

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 October 2010

Here for a long weekend. great location, out of the center of the tourist trap that is times square, but easy walk to theater and sites. Check in was speedy, breakfast was standard, and the room was just big enough for a queen bed! Would stay here again when back in the city.

• Stayed August 2010