“Wonderful Stay! Really.... Amazed!”
Review of Andaz Wall Street

Andaz Wall Street
Ranked #153 of 473 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 18 June 2011

Found a great deal on nyc.com (USD 158 per night) and contacted Hyatt.com to obtain a Best Rate Guaranteed (i.e. -25% on the discounted rate I fond on nyc.com) - Granted!
What can I say... at 126USD per night, one couldn't expect more.

HOTEL: modern, stylish, elegant. I arrived at about 8 p.m. after a rather long trip from Italy via Paris, with 2 hours delay in Paris due to a strike.
The hotel islocated in the heart of the Financial District, at 2 min walk from the Stock Exchange and Trinity Church. One could think that staying in the FD is not intriguing at all, but it isn't so! Plenty of restaurants, coffee shop, parks nearby (Battery Park, South Street District is 10 min walk from the hotel).

ROOM: The grat rate I obtained was for a Standard King. Very Spacious room, parquet floor, free minibar, desk area, spacious bathroom with a very spacious shower, Bigelow amenities in the bathroom, robes, ipod docking station. I stayed alone, but two occupants could stay in the same type of room and still have more than ehough space. I asked for a high-floor, far from elevator room a few days before checking-in, and both requests were granted. Free wifi internet connection.

HALL: You won't find a real reception. The receptionists welcome you as soon as you enter the lobby, and they assist you in everything you need, from bell services to the type of newspaper you would like to receive at your door. The lady who assisted me was very kind. I had dinner reservation at the Wall and Water restaurant for that night, but due to the delay of my flight I missed it. She cancelled it and she also suggested me a few options from the in-room dining menu.

RESTAURANT: Only had breakfast there, once. Great environment, waiter was very friendly. Tried the pancake with fresh fruit. Delicious. Menus include a good variety of organic food.

Overall a wonderful experience at a very reasonable price. Will stay here again in the future. No doubts.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled solo
3  Thank crisssbit
Write a ReviewReviews (3,075)

Reviewed 18 June 2011

After a recent early June three night stay I can see why this hotel has garnered such a high TripAdvisor rating as it is a superb hotel that overdelivers on value, location and service.

I was late arriving in to the city from Newark and had to meet friends uptown for dinner and so rushed in to the hotel and asked for an expedited check in from one of the employees and he responded with the fastest hotel check-in I've ever had, probably under 2 minutes start to finish. Dropped my stuff in room 1617 and had a quick look around and was impressed with the layout and finishings. Later upon arriving back a closer tour around the room found that the king bed doesn't feel at all like it's taking up most of the floor space as is the case at other hotels. I helped myself to a free soda from the mini-bar and called it a night.

As I had an early morning I didn't bother to figure out how to close the blinds but later after searching for a switch over by the window that looked out on to Water Street I eventually found it on the panel beside the headboard and it's "blackout" to close them and they do block much of the daylight out. The same panel controls all of the room lights which is handy to be able to shut them off while in bed, and a very comfortable bed it is by the way.

The all black large bathroom takes some getting used to but I very much appreciated the big shower stall with the rainfall shower head and being more of a shower person never missed a tub at all. Other have mentioned how dark the room feels being all black but for me to get ready and shave in the morning it was more than adequate.

The location of the Andaz was what I was curious to see how it would work for this trip but it performed better than I ever imagined. While the area quiets down in the evening there is excellent subway lines running within 2 or 4 blocks so it was easy to jump on one to ride uptown to the midtown area for sightseeing or meeting friends. I recommend anyone staying in NYC for more than a day get a Metrocard as it's convenient and a good value. The hotel is really only a few short blocks from Wall Street so offers an easy reference point but well away from all the noise, hustle & bustle of the midtown/Times Square area. Most of downtown is walkable and Tribeca is a short distance uptown with lots of excellent shops & restaurants and is a nice area to explore on foot at a leisurely pace. I enjoyed getting to know the Financial District, seeing the progress on the World Trade Center towers, sitting in the shade on a plesantly warm morning in the Trinity Church cemetary and walking along the South Street Seaport which is only a few blocks from the Andaz.

There is a laptop for publis use on an end table and I used it to send a few quick emails and it proved very handy and is normally at a cost at other hotels. The time I was checking out it was in use for the "front desk" let me use one of their laptops and printed my boarding passes saving me some time at Newark so was appreciated.

Come to think of it all the interactions with staff were pleasant and polite and I had to really search to find a negative before remembering one tiny thing which was an unemptied trash can after housekeeping had done the room one day. Overall however this hotel more than came through with a very high quality product in a nice safe & convenient neighborhood to allowed me to make the most of my short stay. In short this wonderful gem of a hotel delivered a great stay at a very good value compared to comparable hotels in NYC and if it stays as such a bargain I'll be back.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank tcook052
Reviewed 17 June 2011

This is a nice hotel which tries hard and has a lot to recommend it. But I couldn't STAND the bathroom sink (so awful that I wouldn't return) and the fact that there was so little light--and you couldn't get close enough to a mirror to do any serious grooming--in the bathroom. Also, it took 3 days and a friend's super-hipness for me to find the full length mirror, which pulls out sideways from one of the walls. (Why not just leave some info around telling people where to find it?) It's all just too too too. Design trumps utility. Not for me. (Or you? If you're over 40?)

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank RosyII
Reviewed 17 June 2011

What a pleasure to find a hotel that is even better then you expected !
After a long day of flights , we finaly got to the Andaz aftter 10.00pm.
A cool oasis, with offers of complimentary drinks and a rapid check in.
Very attentive staff who could not do more to help get us and our luggage up to our 13th floor room . Quality of room was 1st class, room service was there 'on time' and 'hot' wine was chilled. This standard or service continued through our two day stay.
If you want to enjoy a great hotel in a perfect down town location choose the Andaz.
We will again & again , enjoy it . Stuart & Krystyna Gibbons - Cambridgeshire - UK

Room Tip: Ask, the staff do all they can to give you waht yt
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Stuart866
Reviewed 15 June 2011

We came across the Andaz Wall Street by cross referencing a few websites, but then calling the hotel directly to book. We received an excellent rate by doing this - I think it's a good approach for a place like NYC where there are a large variety of hotels to choose from.

The location of this hotel is on Wall Street - so while the neighborhood walk may be less than inspiring, although there is a nice little "port" like area to the NE, it is a relatively cheap cab ride to mid- or up-town Manhattan.

The rooms were in good shape - there were two couples - one in a regular room, and we upgraded ours. The upgrade was well worth it as it was a very large and comfortable suite with a sitting area separated from the sleeping area. There was a good workstation/dining table that was also very convenient. The bathroom in our suite showed some wear and tear - chips in the jacuzzi tup and in various places on the wall. Nothing major - but things that should be taken care of.

The breakfast brunch was amazing - probably the best feature - good quality and well priced. We didn't order room service - but if we stayed again, we would for sure go for brunch again.

The intake system is a bit odd - there are various staff members floating around - in business casual attire. This is fine - and the intake with ipads is fine - but the service felt a step down from what you would get with a traditional guest check-in system. Also - it felt like we were doing a lot of waiting around - the lack of a queue system only works if there are sufficient people working. Otherwise, it is just an exercise of frustration, as people cut ahead, or are helped first. While the individuals who actually provided help were pleasant - the waiting was a huge aggravation.

We did speak to a conceirge-type person for some dinner ideas - they were pretty horrible, which also was a disappointment. I called for Ice once - took over 40 minutes - again a real exercise in customer service disasters.

That said - rooms, price, brunch, free non-alcoholic bevies - almost offset the negatives.

Room Tip: Call hotel directly, shop around.
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank SksAdvntr
Reviewed 15 June 2011

The ANDAZ (Wall Street) is a classy place if you need to stay around Wall Street Financial district. A lot of restaurants close by and within walking distance (check out Fino's and also Captain's Ketch - great seafood)

Rooms are modern and big. Exercise room is well-appointed and part of the free amenities. Restaurant (on second floor) was expensive for lunch but modern elegant.

Room Tip: no bad rooms at this place - all class.
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank PROF_CONSULTANT
Reviewed 14 June 2011

Great inclusions with the room, free mini bar and drinks and snacks in the lobby - great coffee. Rooms are a really good size for New York and nicely appointed. Staff were friendly. Room service food was great.

The location isn't great, although the subway system is so easy it's not necessarily an issue if you don't mind not being central or within walking distance of much. There is absolutely nothing happening in this area on weekends at night. Also one of the subway lines wasn't operating from Wall St the weekend we were there. Not sure if this is always the case or just this week as there wasn't any signage.

The only negative about the rooms themselves is that they were really cold, even with the temperature control turned to the warmest setting or turned off altogether. We raised this with staff and they said it's the same throughout the whole building. It was like a refrigerator, to the point where we had to rug up when inside then would be too hot when we went outside as it was impossible to gauge the weather (as due to the surrounding high rises we also couldn't see any sky).

Other than that, would recommend the hotel for its discounted rates, the great rooms and the many included extras.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple