“Still love this hotel !”
Review of Andaz Wall Street

Andaz Wall Street
Ranked #121 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Hove
“Still love this hotel !”
Reviewed 29 June 2012

This is the second time I have stayed in the Andaz and I still loved it. Checking in was so easy. Even though we arrived too early we were given our room immediately with no fuss. We had an even bigger room this time with a large bath and revolving wardrobe - loved the big full length mirror-so important and often overlooked, even in good hotels.TV was large and a good selection of films etc.Bed very comfy. Room service quick and extra polite.
The idea of free soft drinks and snacks is excellent - also free coffee,juice etc in the lobby.Free wifi a big bonus.
Tiny complaint about the lighting. There is a lack of a shaving light or a makeup light so although there are various lighting options,this one is missing and makes the bathroom too dark to see what you're doing.
Also wish breakfast was free (or cheaper !). However love the "Wall and Water" restaurant - the food is superb! And the cocktails to die for....
If you need to be in the financial district I would always choose the Andaz,although there are many things to do in this area and it's easy to get around using the Andaz as a base for anywhere. Staff are only too willing to help you.

Room Tip: Higher floors have less traffic noise.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (366)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
OKC
Reviewed 28 June 2012

The Andaz is a comfortably contemporary hotel, but not self-consciously so like some of the Starck hotels. My room was large by any hotel's standards and huge by NY standards. A few odd touches-- like the revolving wardrobe.. not sure why. Check-in was via iPad was easy as was check out. My only complaint about the room was the lighting by the sink. While this very soft light is flattering, it's tough to put on make-up or I suspect shave. On the positive side, there were a few smart touches. Why haven't other hotels offered "free" water and juice (and snacks) in the in-room bar? Okay, so I know I'm paying for it in my room rate. Still a nice touch. Ditto for serving "free" wine and juice in the lobby. Makes it feel more like a boutique hotel. Nice. And a small but important touch-- the scrambled eggs were perfectly cooked, not the rubbery eggs usually served in hotels. I'd go back. If you haven't gone, try it. Good location, great rooms.... very good place.

Room Tip: The King suite was worth it-- huge room, tub and shower.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank OKCokiedokie
Palm Springs, California
Reviewed 28 June 2012

Not sure how I feel about this hotel. While it is hip, cool, stylish and chic, it is also in the Financial District, which means it is a $15 plus cab ride, to the Village and even more to MidTown. Subways lines are close and the subways in NYC run frequently. If one is concerned only with being in the Financial District or near the 9/11 Memorial, this is a great hotel. The staff welcomes you with an IPad and checks you in at a station, not a desk. WIFI is free and easy to use. Coffee and breakfast goodies are available in the lobby in the mornings. Rooms are quiet and spacious. The neighborhood is still in transition from a completely financial one to a residential area, so there are more restaurants and shops opening, but it is still sort of bleak after 8PM. If one wants to be in the middle of the tourist area, or near the nightlife, this is not the hotel for you. The bed was incredibly comfortable and the room was beautifully designed with very stylish furniture and movable (yes I said moveable) closets and storage. I just do not like the new ‘open bathroom’ design of some of the hipper spa-wannabe hotels. Entering the room you are immediately in the bathroom, which is all open to the room itself. The toilet has a semi-frosted glass door, which hints at privacy, but does not really deliver, and the bathtub and shower area have windows in to the bedroom. Not my favorite arrangement. Sink is visible from the room. I would just really rather have a separate bathroom, and not have it be the focal point of the suite. Did I like this hotel? Absolutely! Not sure I would stay there again, simply because of the location and the bathroom situation.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Michael G
Moscow, Russia
Reviewed 28 June 2012

Based on the other reviews I chose Andaz from a list of 10 other hotels offered by our corporate travel agency. And I wasn't sorry one little bit. The staff was welcoming and very ayentive, the room convenient and relaxing. The semi-transparent door and window to the show didn't bothered and my daughter so it was not a big deal at all. Free snacks and non-alcoholic drinks also added to our pleasure. We stayed there only one night as later we were moved to another hotel closer to my office but I would prefer to stay in this nice hotel situated n the relatively quiet area and get to the office by metro that is comveniently located. So, we were very sorry that it was only a one night out of 6 in New York. The room was booked to me but they let my daugter stay without any additional payment and it was a nice surprise. By the way there was some movie shoting just outside the hotel at the day of our stay and it was very entertaining to watch.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Natasha_R_10
Bradenton, Florida
Reviewed 25 June 2012

How could anyone not love the Andaz! On Friday, June 25, we were coming from Boston which is usually a 3 1/2 hour trip by car; our trip took almost 7 hours. (accidents and storms) When we finally arrived at the Andaz, Chad welcomed us with open arms and a glass of wine!
Our check-in took about two minutes. Chad escorted us to our beautiful room on the 17th floor, a large king. Chad was never in a hurry; he answered all our questions and wanted to know if we were satisfied and if there was anything else he could do for us!
Customer Service at the Andaz is a model for all! It's all about you! Non-alcoholic beverages and snacks are free! Sometimes, you just need a bottle of water or a coke, it's right there!
Our room included breakfast. When we went to the restaurant, we met Hasan, #107. He is young, energetic and such an asset to the Andaz. Our food was ordered immediately and delivered, just the way we wanted. He shared his wonderful story with us because we asked. Our breakfast was a wonderful experience.
At times the Andaz is out of our price range. My husband and I are both teachers, so we are very conscious about finances. So, at times we have had to choose other hotels. They have never lived up to the standards of the Andaz.
Since both of our children live in NYC, we want to see them.
The Andaz is and always will be our first choice. Unfortunately, we know at times we'll have to settle for less.
This is the best hotel in NYC!
Jane and Mike

Room Tip: During our stay, it was about 90 degrees. We never heard the ac go on or off! Just a great place t...
Toronto
Reviewed 25 June 2012

Superior customer service started from the minute we walked in the door. Michael brought us a drink and checked us in. The lobby is beautiful and there was a good vibe about the hotel. The rooms were modern and the rain shower was fantastic. As other reviewers have mentioned - the free (non-alcoholic) drinks in the bar fridge were a great touch as well as the breakfast bar/coffee bar which was available all day. In fact - I quickly became addicted to the lattes which were served. I would highly recommend this hotel to almost anyone looking to stay south of midtown. The only reason its not a 5 star is the location (for me anyway) - we found it a bit difficult to get cabs during the week around rush hour.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank tricky_ricky_toronto
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 25 June 2012

The Andaz Wall Street is an absolute jem and provides an upscale alternative to staying in Midtown. My wife and I usually go to New York City once a year and have always stayed in Midtown. This time we took our four month old daughter with us and based on all the excellent reviews on Trip Advisor picked the Andaz Wall Street. We usually use the subway to get around and we were able to do that with our daughter as most of the stations have elevators.

As we are frequent travelers to New York, and I lived there for four years, staying in a hotel away from Midtown was a nice change of pace. The area around the hotel is filled with designer clothing shops and some nice bars and restaurants. We stayed from Wednesday to Saturday so we didn't really notice the emptying out of Downtown on the weekend that some other reviewers referenced. However there are some definite attractions Downtown that are easy to walk to from the hotel.

The entrance to the hotel is on Water Street and the staff is quite efficient at determining that you are checking in and directing you to the right place as we initially tried to go through the bar entrance on Pearl Street. We requested a crib for our daughter which was promptly delivered minutes after we checked in. The room was the most spacious King room I have ever stayed in in New York City. The HD television was around 40 inches with approximately 45 stations. The mini-bar was stocked with Diet Coke, Coke, Sprite, ginger ale, two bottles of water, two bottles of sparkling water, club soda, iced tea and tonic water. There was also a bag of chips, a chocolate bar and a granola bar. These items were restocked daily if you used them but we asked for two extra bottles of water one day and we were charged $7 a bottle plus a $5 delivery fee so with hindsight I should have went across the street to Duane Reed.

The bathroom was quite nice with a rainfall shower and marble tiles. The door to the bathroom did not lock nor was there a fan so privacy may be a concern for some. The shower itself has translucent windows that look out into the room which may also concern some but didn't matter to us. The two large outdoor windows looked out on Pearl Street and had a white sheer curtain that did not retract and a electronic blind that blocked out all light.

The room did not have a coffee machine but there was a barista in the lobby that offered complimentary coffee and espresso options. There were also complimentary apples and bananas, orange juice, tea (iced and hot), brownies and banana bread. We stocked up on these things and the in-room amenities every morning before we left the hotel and skipped breakfast, which was not included in our room rate.

Having never stayed Downtown before, my wife and I were greatly impressed by how much there was to do in the neighborhood and with the ease with which we were able to move ourselves and our daughter about the entire city by using the subway. For us it was better than being in Midtown which tends to be overcrowded. For transit reasons we usually stayed there but if you want a trip that is a bit more relaxed and are not in a hurry to see all the main tourist attractions the Downtown area is a nice fit. The Andaz Wall Street also offers a unique experience and for us represented a bargain compared to smaller lower quality options that were more expensive in Midtown.

Room Tip: We asked for a high floor away from the elevator and hardly heard a thing during our entire stay.
1 Thank Jason J