“sweatbox” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #101 of 467 Hotels in New York City
philadelphia, United States
“sweatbox”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 February 2014

We arrived after a cold spell in NY and the hotel HVAC couldn't adapt leaving the hotel oppressively hot and the rooms a very uncomfortable temperature even with the air turned off. Spent much of the night opening anc closing the window. The rooms feel new but take "minmalist " too far. The shower is huge and exceptional . Lighting in the bathroom is too low for dressing. Not worth $500

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with Andaz

JMillerAndazWS, General Manager at Andaz Wall Street, responded to this review, 8 February 2014
Dear Charles BL,

Thank you for your note, however, I am sorry to hear you had a sleepless night in our hotel. I assure you we are looking into this situation as I write this. Every room is managed separately therefore the systems do need adjustments periodically. I am sorry you experienced this as a sleepless night is not good.

I am happy to write that we have a project kicking off soon to replace the bathroom mirrors and add back lighted mirrors which will brighten the bathroom experience dramatically. We heard this from our guests and will correct it. We also just replaced all the vanity sinks due to splashing and we are getting great feedback from this change.

Please do write me directly and I will personally insure your room is temperature appropriate. Again , my apologies.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (357)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
North Kingstown, Rhode Island
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 February 2014

Stayed at the Andaz on a Saturday night because of a great rate, and was completely satisfied. We scored a 610 sf (!) suite, so had a large sitting area with a tv, and a separate sleeping area with another tv. The high ceilings only accentuate the spaciousness. Bed was cozy, the shower/bath was awesome, and the service was extremely friendly. Great, responsive heating system, nice electronic controls for everything from the lights to the blackout curtains. Having the nonalcoholic parts of the minibar be complimentary (and free wifi) is a nice touch.

And my personal most-important-detail: very good gym, with a full range of dumbbells and good machines.

Yes, it's on Wall St. But if you're not hanging out in Midtown (and why would you be?), it's about a 5 minute cab ride from the Village, etc., so not a problem.

Just a couple nits, or things to plan for: There's no valet parking, though there's discounted self-park next door. There's limited storage area in the room (you have to hunt around for drawers), there were one or two little blemishes in the cosmetics of the room, and you need to make serious arrangements if you don't want to see or be seen in the shower (like, go down to the bar for a drink). See-through is cool, I get it, but it gets creepy if there are kids or non-family in the room!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Jeffrey T
Adrienne E, Guest Relations Manager at Andaz Wall Street, responded to this review, 10 February 2014
Jeffrey T ,

Many thanks for your valuble feedback on our Andaz Wall Street.
Thank you for the positive comments, and just as important, thank you for the constructive crticism.
Your comments on the bathroom are understood. We will pass on all the good information
to our team.

Have a great week.
All the best,
Adrienne
Malgrat De Mar, Costa Brava
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2014

I stayed here for a few nights for my fathers 50th birthday. We had been allocated rooms next to each other which was appreciated. The rooms are very clean and tidy and there was complimentary use of soft drinks and snacks which was nice!
Breakfast was out of this world - I now crave their eggs benedict on a regular basis! Chocolate chip pancakes were delicious, as were the waffles. Great start to the day.
The hotel is in a cool little location, and close to other sights such as Brooklyn Bridge, 9/11 memorial etc.
The girl on check in was brilliant, very friendly and helpful. I didn't find the rest of the staff were as friendly, some came across as either very shy or as if they didn't understand me. My father turned 50 as we were staying there and there wasn't any fuss made, no happy birthday or anything. A little gesture would have been nice but still not a massive problem though and still a lovely place to stay!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Dear HELLODAVE_xX,

Thanks very much for your valuble feedback. We are very glad you enjoyed our hotel.
Only wish we had done something special your Father's Birthday celebration!
We'll pass along this feedback for the learning experience of our staff members. I think we missed an opportunity on this special occasion. Please accept our sincere apologies.
Adrienne
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2014

We stayed at the Andaz over New Year into January 2014 before setting sail on the QM2. The hotel is great, the receptionists in particular are very very helpful. Great room, great bathroom, and SNOW ! :)

Room Tip: Just enjoy this modern hotel with its moveable furniture and funky bathrooms
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
thank you for your great tips and comments - We love snow too at Andaz unless it keeps you away from us.. Jeffrey
NY, NY
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2014

As the title of the review says, I haven't stayed here, but I work nearby. The hotel is a great place to meet people (especially a large group) for drinks or lunch. Food and drinks were really good. The prices? Well, what do you expect, it's Manhattan.

Overall, I found the staff to be interested in making the hotel lobby and public areas inviting to hotel guests and those of us in the neighborhood. I once had a meeting go awry, and the bartender let me hang out at the bar doing little more than sipping a diet Coke (which he refilled.) The spa was also a nice addition to the neighborhood, and I found the staff friendly and the services great. I was a regular client until Hurricane Sandy flooded the ground floor and basement in 2012.

I will agree with another commenter about the spottiness of the service. I once checked in for my spa appointment and sat down for 20 minutes waiting in the wrong spot. Whoops! The service location had moved, but no one communicated that to the concierge. Paying for my service was always clunky, unless I used cash, because the spa didn't have its own register or credit-card machine.

The spa has finally reopened, and I happily booked an appointment this week. Despite confirming the appointment two days in advance, the spa emailed me a day in advance and wondered if I could come in a day early (I could not.) I offered to reschedule. The spa declined that offer, and reconfirmed my appointment for the scheduled date and time.

The next day, 45 minutes before my scheduled appointment I received an email from the spa: Actually, sorry, we do need to reschedule. After confirming the appointment, then declining an offer by me to reschedule the appointment, then waiting until 45 minutes before the scheduled time, I feel the spa had a responsibility to honor the appointment, or to offering me a complimentary service. They did neither. The situation was a deal breaker, and I won't go back to the spa.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Hello Hudson Valley Fan,

I am terribly sorry to see this. We are certainly aware of this experience and have corrected the reasons this happened but it should never have occurred firstly. Please don't give us on us as will want you to be part of our family.

If you have not returned complimentary on us, please contact me to book your next spa visit. We will make this up to you.

Jeffrey
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2014 via mobile

After an horrendous experience at Newark airport with ground transport. It was a relief to arrive at the Andaz. Arriving late Christmas Eve we thought the service might be minimal far from it. We were greeted by friendly staff. The room was lovely, furnished with modern decor and stunning bathroom. The entire hotel is gorgeous, with a first rate gym too. The hotel is central to everything. Great location to be able to see New York and all the top tourist attractions being a short walk to the sub way, that only takes 10mins to get uptown. Staff are very helpful an knowledgable in helping you plan your day. Bonus 24hr pharmacy across the road that sells everything from fresh salad to coffee. Highly recommend this hotel would stay again :)

• Stayed December 2013
1 Thank Nicole F
Nicole F ,

Thanks very much for the lovley feedback on our Andaz Wall Street.
Glad your experience was a positive one.

Again, many thanks for your comments.
All the best,
Freda
Bedford MA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2014 via mobile

Stayed three nights at the Andaz Wall Street over the Jan. long weekend and could not have been more pleased with our stay. From the extremely easy iPad check-in, to early room availability, to the helpful front desk attendants, our first impressions were excellent - and we weren't disappointed anytime thereafter. The rooms are small, of course (2 doubles rather than 2 queens) and there is nothing extraneous to take up space (no extra blankets/pillows, no coffee maker). But they are roomy enough to be functional w/2 adults and a tween, and are new, spotlessly clean, and nicely decorated. As with others, I didn't love the window in the shower; could have lived without that. Also, the brunch was a bit pricey but the service was great. EXTREMELY easy to get around as there are red, green and JZ trains all on Wall St. Walk to 9/11 Memorial and Seaport. Would absolutely stay there again. Best hotel stay in quite a while.

Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank MegBedfordMA
MegBedfordMA ,

Many thanks for the valuble feedback. It is always great to hear directly from our guests.
We are happy you had a positive experience and regret you thought the Brunch was a bit pricy.
We will certainly pass on all your comments to our staff.
Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back!

Freda