“Their booking error but patronising and unapologetic”
Review of Andaz Wall Street

Andaz Wall Street
Ranked #124 of 466 Hotels in New York City
London, United Kingdom
“Their booking error but patronising and unapologetic”
Reviewed 18 April 2014 via mobile

I booked a twin room in November 2013 approximately 5 months before our visit. We arrived after a flight from London, a long immigration queue and a long wait for a taxi to find there were no double rooms available. We were offered a king size room with foldaway bed which we refused to accept. The clerk who initially dealt with us was patronising, bordering on unpleasant and had a take it or leave it attitude. Eventually the assistant front office manager spoke to us and initially said there was no option. He couldn't or wouldn't understand that a twin room should have been reserved for us back in November when I made the booking. After making the same point several times and telling him we would be talking to a more senior manager at the first opportunity he started to apologise and gave us 2 rooms with a promise that he would personally supervise a move to a twin room the next day. I am currently not optimistic this will happen; certainly not without some inconvenience to ourselves. The room standard is as expected.

Stayed April 2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (365)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Virginia
Reviewed 17 April 2014

This is a very nice quiet hotel in a good location in the financial district. It's a modern hotel with contemporary rooms. Very contemporary. Bed was comfortable and we slept well - furniture (chairs) were meh. Nice 40-42" (guessing) digital flat screen TV with about 45 channels. The walls are dark so they compete with the light so the rooms can be dim depending on the time of day even with every light on full blast. Rooms have lots of extras, like a tricked out lighting system (it takes awhile to learn, but when you do, you like it. Hit a button and a shade comes down to blackout the window for sleeping), a full length mirror that slides into the wall, robes, slippers, a big bath and huge shower with plate-sized rainforest shower-head (NO tub, which did not please my wife). Service was consistently friendly and helpful. Free snacks and non-alcoholic bevs are in your fridge. The only ice machine is on the 12th floor, otherwise you get it delivered. No coffee machine in the room, but they have free coffee in the lobby from a very cool coffee machine that makes Expresso, Americano, Latte, etc. And though machine-made it's very good. Wifi was having trouble during our stay but they were working to resolve with AT&T. So overall, we got friendly service and some unexpected extras. I would've liked to see an ice machine on our floor and coffee in-room.

1 Thank Prime_of_Life
New York
Reviewed 16 April 2014

The weekend rate was what brought me to Wall Street. I will gladly return. The check-in and check-out were smooth and easy. The coffee and tea bar with fresh fruit was greatly appreciated. The room was unusually large by New York standards, very clean, airy and comfortable. I could have spent a few more hours lounging in my room. A fair share of outlets for your personal and work phones and computer. Black-out curtains for when you want to catch up on your sleep. If you're worried about the Wall Street location - the property is just a short walk to major subway lines and Tribeca. Another perk for a business or leisure traveler - a 24 hour Duane Reade is across the street.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank 593119
Rusty_Middleton, General Manager at Andaz Wall Street, responded to this review, 17 April 2014
Dear 593119,
Thank you for your kind words! I am so glad that you were able to get the true Andaz experience! We hope to welcome you again very soon!
My best,
Rusty Middleton
Shanghai, China
Reviewed 16 April 2014

I was there for business trip. The taxi driver dropped me on Wall Street, but the entrance is on Water St. and I had to carry my suitcase to walk over, not good experience.

The room deco is modern but not the cozy type I like, a bit too "wall street". The water pressure in shower is very good, but the floor is too cold for winter, should have floor heating.

What really annoying is the WI-FI is really bad, I called help desk several times, and the guy asked me to reboot my ipad several times, but no improvement. I can't view anything online, not to say watch movie etc. I stayed there for 7 nights, only the last two nights are bit better, and it could because someone next door left and I got more band width? Anyway, the internet is not something I would expect on a hotel on Wall Street, very disappointing.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with better WI-FI signal if they have
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Suffolk England
Reviewed 15 April 2014

Great hotel , booked this hotel from reading reviews on this website, and so glad we did . We have just had a amazing stay for 7 nights , found staff great, room service is excellent ( would like to thank the cleaners on such a great job) For us the location was perfect, nice little walk to some nearby cool shops , or restaurants , or just take the subway . Really nice touch to have the complimentary drinks and snacks .We did have breakfast in the hotel one of the days , food was delicious , but did find it a little expensive for the four of us . All in all a amazing stay and hopefully we shall be back .

Dear SuffolkGeorge,
Thank you for taking the time to share details about your past stay! I'm pleased to read you enjoyed your week long stay. We hope that we get the opportunity to welcome you again in the near future when you return to New York.
All the best,

Rusty
Chicago, United States
Reviewed 15 April 2014

Very good accommodations. Great weekend rate, friendly service , clean room . Nice to be in a more quit and relaxing area of NYC (Wall Street) during the weekend . Really well done modern contemporary design. The transparent wall from the sleeping area into the tub and shower was annoying working too hard to be hip. Overall excellent

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Andaz

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 9 April 2014

I have now stayed at four Andaz properties and have been consistently impressed. I think this is the best hotel chain out there in terms of what you get for the money. Andaz Wall Street is in a bad location for tourists, but the low price compensates for that. It is near the subway and there are taxis in the area so it isn't too hard to get out of the Financial District. Other than the bad location, there are not a lot of negatives about this property. The rooms are huge and modern, the free non-alcoholic items from the minibar is a lovely touch, the staff is friendly, and everything was very clean. My only minor complaint about my stay was that they did not acknowledge Hyatt Platinum status. Overall though I would strongly recommend this property as a great value in NYC.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends