“Small rooms but decent experience overall”

Fairfield Inn & Suites New York Manhattan/Fifth Avenue
Ranked #251 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 14 March 2013

Got a great price at this Fairfield Inn. It's a good location close to The Empire State Building and Fifth Ave and there was a 24 hour deli/store across the street to buy food/provisions when needed. They reception went out of its way to recognize me as a Marriott Rewards member, which I appreciated. The layout/setup is very similar to other Fairfield properties in the city with a handful of rooms per floor. The king room was pretty small as was the bathroom. We had to hoist the suitcases up on the desk as there was no other place for them. That said, the bed was comfy, there was good water pressure, and the rooms were cleaned adequately. We had no view to speak of which was fine as it was quiet in the back location. The continental breakfast is a nice plus to get your day started. My only complaint was that only one of the two elevators were working the whole time we were there (3 nights). That would have been ok but it appeared as though the maintenance staff was keeping one "on reserve" for their use. I wouldn't have minded however there were long wait times for the elevator, often times having to wait for a full elevator to go by twice before getting on. I witnessed a maintenance guy using the other elevator to grab two towels from the basement and (on a second occasion) use said elevator to drop off toilet paper to a closet on our floor. It seemed an inconvenience to the guests when it was going unused on the basement level (I only know that as I had to wait down there for the working elevator when I went to get ice). Otherwise, we'd go back to this hotel again.

Reviewed 14 March 2013

I stayed here for three days and overall, it was a good experience. The room seemed almost brand new (although no hair dryer found) and was very clean. The room wasn't ready when I got there around 4:30pm, but it only took about 15 minutes to get me in. Also, the breakfast is very generous...plus they exclusively serve Starbucks at breakfast and in each room. I think you'll like this place.

Room Tip: The higher the room the better the view.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 26 February 2013

As noted in other reviews, the staff here is very friendly and seems sincere in their efforts to make things right for guests. So, I wish I could give this hotel a higher rating. But we experienced some glitches that I would't have expected from a mid-town New York Marriott property.

We arrived a few hours before the official check-in time (3:00pm, which is a bit late) and were told our room wasn't ready yet. Okay, no big deal. The desk clerk checked out bags and told us he would call us as soon as our room was ready. We headed out for a long walk,a meal and a museum. Never did receive a call about our room being ready, but, happily, it was ready when we returned to the hotel at around 6:00pm. We were told our bags were in our room already. Up to the room -- no bags. Back down to the lobby -- oh, sorry, they're still in the baggage room.

Next day, we left the room at about 9:00am for a day of touring Returned to the room at 5:00pm to find that housekeeping had yet to get to our room. The front desk seemed surprised -- althrough on the way past the desk the first time we overhead the front desk arranging to take towels up to another room. In any case, they didn't offer any explanation about why the delay. They did offer to send housekeeping up to clean the room, but, being very tired, we declined and just asked them from some clean towels, which arrived bit later.

Last concern is about the elevator service in the hotel. There are two elevators servicing an 18-story hotel. One of them was completely out of service the first day we were there. It was repaired sometime that night. But both of the next two days, although you could tell that elevator was being used, apparently it was only available for the hotel staff, not for guests. Only a minor inconvenience for us, but If the hotel had been more crowded, this could have been a major irritation.

Others have already remarked on the generally well-appointed and clean, if quite small, rooms, the breakfast (nothing to write home about, but a much appreciated money-saving perk), and the nice view of the Empire State Bldg from the rooms in front on the upper floors.

Overall, it was pretty good, considering that I used Mariott Reward points to pay for the room. But, if I were paying with my own cold, hard cash, I would have been more upset with the service issues --- especially concerning the un-made-up room. Next time I'll take a look at some of the other properties in the area. The staff here seems willing enough -- management has to get their act together a bit.

Reviewed 25 February 2013

Booked here for a weekend getaway to New York with my wife. This was a new and very modern hotel. The room was a bit on the small side but I hear that is typical in NY being that square footage is so expensive. For the location, I thought it was a fantastic deal and my wife was very happy as well. I highly recommend this hotel as an excellent Manhattan hotel!

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 February 2013

We recently stayed at this hotel on points--so no revenue in it for them. But they treated us so well. Always pleasant greeting, always asking if they can help us with anything. This is a small hotel with only six rooms on each of the 15 floors. It is located in an excellent area near Lord and Taylor. Up the street is the best Chinese restaurant ever and across the street is a grocery/deli open 24/7. What more could you want---good beds and pillows. They were so comfortable. If you are going to NYC pick this hotel. WE LOVED IT!

Room Tip: We were on the next to the top floor and with only six rooms on a floor--we never heard anyone.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 February 2013

This hotel is conveniently located to the central shopping area of Manhattan. Although the room was small (as expected), it came with everything needed and was very clean. The complimentary breakfast provides warm and cold meals. Free wifi internet in our room was certainly a plus. There is a 24 hours pharmacy/convenience store around the corner that has everything you need.

The hotel staff were extremely efficient. Even my girlfriend who travels a lot for work was highly impressed by their speed.

The only downside to this hotel is the noise outside. Being located in the heart of the city, noise from the outside can be a bit noisy. Ask the front desk for earplugs if you need any.

Reviewed 9 February 2013

So, this is the second time I've stayed at this hotel - mainly for the low prices.

Overall it is a fine place to stay, but do not expect anything super fancy or spacious - even on NYC standards it is small and sparse.

The one thing the hotel has for it is great staff - everyone was very welcoming and helpful.

Location is also so so, but decent enough, close to a couple subway stops and walkable to some sights.

Do not expect an amazing view, and ask for a high floor to be away from street noise if possible. It is a very small hotel, so the rooms are all probably under 200 sq. feet.

I got a price under $200, but that is the only reason I'd stay here again, and to be honest, for another $20 it might worth it to stay elsewhere.

I didn't take advantage of the free breakfast or wine for marriott card holders, but I am sure that adds more to the value if you can grab breakfast there before heading out for the day.

Room Tip: Try for a high-floor.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business