“Awful hotel. Avoid for any business travel”

Fairfield Inn & Suites New York Manhattan/Fifth Avenue
Ranked #262 of 473 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 2 June 2013

This hotel is more like a youth hostel than a hotel. Room is completely cramped, even for NY standards. You couldn't fully sit on the toilet because there was furniture coming right up to the edge of the bowl. Not room for even a chair in the room. Just enough room for a small mattress.

What was worst was the mattress, which was probably the low end ikea model. The kind that crinkles when you push down on it. So uncomfortable. I would avoid this place and pay a few bucks extra for a nicer hotel next time.

I can't believe the reviews saying this would be a good place for kids. Where would you put them? The rooms literally had no space for a chair.

Room Tip: Avoid this place
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank ekdc

Reviewed 28 May 2013

Was going to book for a quick night in NYC, I almost booked next door which was $100 more with the same amenities. Room was clean, people were friendly, for a quick night in the city this is all you need.

Room Tip: Always ask for a high floor in NYC to avoid street noise
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 May 2013

I stayed in the Fairfield Inn on West 37th Street with my wife and two young sons in August 2012. The hotel is well located just off 5th Avenue only a few minutes walk from the Empire State Building. The staff at the hotel are very helpful and friendly. We had a parcel delivered to hotel which arrived before we did and they were happy to store it for us.

The hotel is compact. The lobby and breakfast room are small. There is fee access to the internet in the lobby area. Free juice and cookies were provided from time to time. We shared one room with two double beds. The room was quite small, even by New York standards. There was limited storage space. There was no in-room safe. We had to use a safety deposit box at reception to store our valuables. The bathroom was fine.

There was a free self service breakfast. There was a good choice of food - cereals, fruit, bread, but limited hot food. The only drawback of breakfast is that the breakfast room was very cold due to the air conditioning, so although it was very hot outside, we had to wrap up warmly for breakfast.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 May 2013 via mobile

After searching for hotels that is strategically located as well as affordable, we settled for Fairfield Inn.. Prove to be the best decision made! No Regrets! Provides decent breakfast and a comfortable warm bed. A very friendly front desk that double as a superb concierge. Always ready to assist and always smiling. A short walk to the subs, macys just around the corner and strips of shops at the other corner. Plenty of delicious halal food cart. Will definitely stay again if I were to re-visit NYC.

• Stayed: January 2013
Reviewed 10 May 2013

My husband and I stayed here because we wanted a good central location to stay while visiting NYC. It was great! Great location. Fast, easy check-in. Great hospitality. We were there on a Wednesday night, so manager's reception with wine and cheese. It was fun sitting and chatting with other guests, many from other countries. We would definitely stay there again!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 May 2013

Great Hotel for a NYC visit. This Fairfield is on a quiet street in the Fashion District, but is close enough to trains if you choose to commute that way. It is also very easy to grab a taxi on 5th avenue about 1/4 block's walk from the hotel entrance.
The customer service at this hotel was suburb. I arrived early and my room was not ready. I did call for early check-in and am a platinum member but by 11:40 a.m. they didn’t have it ready. My bag was tagged and stored for me while I left the hotel to wait for my room. When I arrived back, my keys were ready and my bag delivered to my room. Through the remainder of our stay all the staff were extremely helpful and friendly in a way that made you feel welcome and comfortable, which made up for the short wait to get my room.
The hotel does offer a breakfast with hot and cold items and you should be able to fill up before you head out for the day without any problem. They serve Starbucks coffee and Tazo Tea as well, which was a treat. The breakfast room offers plenty of space to site and enjoy your meal.
The hotel does not have a gym but offers passes to Crunch, a nearby (2 blocks away) gym, for guests.
Overall I’d recommend this hotel for a stay. It has spacious rooms for Manhattan, clean room and bathrooms and friendly service.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 May 2013

Traveling on business. Room was small but comfortable for one. If my "better half" was with me it would have been a cramped. Bed, very comfortable. Nice shower in the bathroom; however, when using the sink I had to close the bathroom door to make room. Wifi worked very well. I'd stay here again. BTW, front desk and cafe staff very friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the Empire State Building.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business