“Great location, helpful staff”

Fairfield Inn & Suites New York Manhattan/Fifth Avenue
Ranked #200 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Jakarta, Indonesia
“Great location, helpful staff”
Reviewed 19 June 2014 via mobile

Its NYC, we expected a very small room. However the double beds room was quite ok, not too small. The staff was very helpful and friendly. It was very thoughtful that they served nice complimentary breakfast, lemonade and cookies in the afternoon and 24 hours starbuck coffee and tea and hot water. For us, party of 8, it was an added value.

• Stayed June 2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Loomis, California
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Hello - I have been a rewards customer for the past 3 1/2 years booking all my business travel with Marriott properties. I have just experienced the very worst customer service ever! I booked a stay for business travel that I have to cancel due to client cancelation. I'm told the rate I booked was not refundable according to the GM at this hotel. (The rate was $477. ) I've never experienced this before and didn't intend to book a non-refundable rate...which by the way is only a few dollars less than what is available at this same hotel today. Usually a reservation can be changed within 24 hours. I have spoken to your hotel staff your customer service department, your Marriott guest customer service department (total time between these 3 calls after being put on hold and hung up on) was approximately 2 hours. The end result is this hotel would not allow me to cancel or even credit a stay unless I can rebook within one week...not even an offer to rebook within 3 months which would have worked. You have lost a rewards member; you have lost my future business with this type of "customer service". I will be sure to share this with all of my colleagues. We represent a major media company and travel extensively each week and I'm sure you are aware that there are many hotel choices available! Thanks for nothing Marriott!

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Lynn122
Columbia, Maryland
Reviewed 17 June 2014

I was in NYC for business and chose this Marriott hotel based on the location and that I'm a member of Marriott rewards. I saw some reviews that stated the hotel was noisy due to the rooms being close together. I spent two night there and slept like a baby! Never heard a peep from anyone and the hotel was full.
Great welcome from Karen at the front desk! My second morning I saw Daniel at the desk and he was very friendly and told me if I needed anything to please let him know. Rooms are small but efficient and clean.
My job has taken me all over the world and I've stayed in all kinds of hotels. This Marriott and it's staff are top notch and I couldn't ask for a better experience.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 16 June 2014

A very pleasant experience. Centrally located. The staff was very friendly and the rooms were clean though it was a little small. Lovely breakfast. Great view of the Empire State Building. After checking out, they take good care of your baggage. I would highly recommend this hotel.
-Rupa & Harish

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Timmins, ON
Reviewed 13 June 2014

After using this & other sites to help choose a hotel in midtown, we chose this hotel for our 5 night visit which ended yesterday. With that I thought I would note the things we liked, were ok with and did not like.

What We Liked: For our visit the hotel location in midtown was great. It is only a short 10-15 minute walk to Times Square & the shopping around that. The staff was very friendly & hospitable. The room was clean and while on the 4th floor we heard no sounds from traffic on the street. The king size bed was very comfy. Slept like a baby. Loved the free wirelress in the room which had no issues. Handy store right across the street for any food/snack/drink needs.

What Was Ok: Speaking of the bed, it certainly took up the majority of room space. While others have advised that smaller rooms are the norm in the city, it certainly is true. Small closet space and one suitcase had to sit on the desk. Tried the hot breakfast once and it is your typical hotel breakfast - nothing special. The breakfast area is small with limited seating. We went at 09:15 but had no issues finding a table.

What We Did Not Like: This is a narrow hotel with only 6 floors per room. With that, the room doors are very close. In the morning when a guest leaves their room, it is certainly a loud close sound of the doors closing. If you are an average sleeper, it will certainly awaken you. The room cleaning staff very much could have been better. On more than 1 occassion we had used towels taken away but not all returned. Went without drinking glasses on 2 occassions. The lack of a room safe and small fridge were things that would have been nice.

Hope you find this review useful. One thing about NYC is multiple hotel choices that can be a little overwhelming when choosing. Enjoy the city - we did!

Room Tip: LOL, contact all guests on your floor to close their doors quietly.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Sarasota, Florida
Reviewed 11 June 2014

Nice hotel for the money. Nice breakfast included, Starbucks coffee in rooms and breakfast area. Rooms a little small, showing some wear and a bit dated, but very clean. Staff very friendly.
Central location, 15 minute walk to Times Square.
Enjoyed our stay.

Room Tip: We had room 1002 in the front of the hotel. A bit small... Fairly quiet room for sleeping.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Paris
Reviewed 7 June 2014

The hotel is OK, but I was quite disappointed to be next to a room with a very noisy TV (there was a common wooden door). The management did not do anything about it even after I called. I won't sleep there next time I am in midtown.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business