“Great service and location”

Fairfield Inn & Suites New York Manhattan/Fifth Avenue
Ranked #238 of 470 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 22 June 2014

We came to the city for a family wedding. We chose this hotel because of location and price, since it's very convenient to Bryant Park, where the reception took place. We checked in and were greeted by a very friendly and helpful front desk staff. We received a wonderful greeting from Daniel, who has a great personality. He also upgraded us, since we are platinum Marriott members, to an executive suite on the top floor, which was a quite large room with refrigerator, safe, king bed, and also with a balcony with a view of the Chrysler Bldg, and huge walk-in shower--awesome, plus there are only two rooms on that floor, so it was very quiet. Every time we saw Daniel, he greeted us by name and always offered any kind of assistance, along with lots of friendly chat. Also note that a hot breakfast was included. The location is great, since it's right off 5th Ave and very close to Times Square and Broadway.

Our only concern about this hotel is the security. During the day, anyone can go to the elevators and go to any floor; also, the balcony door didn't lock, and there is a building right next to the balcony, where someone could jump to the balcony, if they are dare-devils.
FYI: there is no valet parking, but you get a discount for a nearby indoor parking lot.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 21 June 2014

This was my first time to stay in this hotel and I really didn't know what to expect. Boy was I pleasantly surprised. First, off, if you are expecting a big over plush hotel and all the service of say a big JW Marriott, this is not that hotel. But they don't pretend to be a a complete full service hotel and they are not. But they are very good at what they are. First, let me talk about the staff...they were all very friendly, and helpful. I was there on a mostly business trip and looking to save some money. I had a small but very nice and clean room. If you are by yourself this is a good hotel. Yes the rooms are small, so if there is two of you, this could be a problem. The rooms close for the front of the hotel seem to get more noise, especially late at night, but hey it's NY. They have free breakfast in the morning, but I was already up and out by that time. The location is good, just off 5th. Would I return? Yes, mainly for the value and the very good staff. Even the janitor/clean up guy is nice and friendly. Tip: good full service deli just across the street for meals.

Room Tip: Rooms in the back are much quieter. Nice full service deli across the street, try and salad bar.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 19 June 2014 via mobile

Its NYC, we expected a very small room. However the double beds room was quite ok, not too small. The staff was very helpful and friendly. It was very thoughtful that they served nice complimentary breakfast, lemonade and cookies in the afternoon and 24 hours starbuck coffee and tea and hot water. For us, party of 8, it was an added value.

• Stayed: June 2014
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Hello - I have been a rewards customer for the past 3 1/2 years booking all my business travel with Marriott properties. I have just experienced the very worst customer service ever! I booked a stay for business travel that I have to cancel due to client cancelation. I'm told the rate I booked was not refundable according to the GM at this hotel. (The rate was $477. ) I've never experienced this before and didn't intend to book a non-refundable rate...which by the way is only a few dollars less than what is available at this same hotel today. Usually a reservation can be changed within 24 hours. I have spoken to your hotel staff your customer service department, your Marriott guest customer service department (total time between these 3 calls after being put on hold and hung up on) was approximately 2 hours. The end result is this hotel would not allow me to cancel or even credit a stay unless I can rebook within one week...not even an offer to rebook within 3 months which would have worked. You have lost a rewards member; you have lost my future business with this type of "customer service". I will be sure to share this with all of my colleagues. We represent a major media company and travel extensively each week and I'm sure you are aware that there are many hotel choices available! Thanks for nothing Marriott!

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Lynn122
Reviewed 17 June 2014

I was in NYC for business and chose this Marriott hotel based on the location and that I'm a member of Marriott rewards. I saw some reviews that stated the hotel was noisy due to the rooms being close together. I spent two night there and slept like a baby! Never heard a peep from anyone and the hotel was full.
Great welcome from Karen at the front desk! My second morning I saw Daniel at the desk and he was very friendly and told me if I needed anything to please let him know. Rooms are small but efficient and clean.
My job has taken me all over the world and I've stayed in all kinds of hotels. This Marriott and it's staff are top notch and I couldn't ask for a better experience.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 June 2014

A very pleasant experience. Centrally located. The staff was very friendly and the rooms were clean though it was a little small. Lovely breakfast. Great view of the Empire State Building. After checking out, they take good care of your baggage. I would highly recommend this hotel.
-Rupa & Harish

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 June 2014

After using this & other sites to help choose a hotel in midtown, we chose this hotel for our 5 night visit which ended yesterday. With that I thought I would note the things we liked, were ok with and did not like.

What We Liked: For our visit the hotel location in midtown was great. It is only a short 10-15 minute walk to Times Square & the shopping around that. The staff was very friendly & hospitable. The room was clean and while on the 4th floor we heard no sounds from traffic on the street. The king size bed was very comfy. Slept like a baby. Loved the free wirelress in the room which had no issues. Handy store right across the street for any food/snack/drink needs.

What Was Ok: Speaking of the bed, it certainly took up the majority of room space. While others have advised that smaller rooms are the norm in the city, it certainly is true. Small closet space and one suitcase had to sit on the desk. Tried the hot breakfast once and it is your typical hotel breakfast - nothing special. The breakfast area is small with limited seating. We went at 09:15 but had no issues finding a table.

What We Did Not Like: This is a narrow hotel with only 6 floors per room. With that, the room doors are very close. In the morning when a guest leaves their room, it is certainly a loud close sound of the doors closing. If you are an average sleeper, it will certainly awaken you. The room cleaning staff very much could have been better. On more than 1 occassion we had used towels taken away but not all returned. Went without drinking glasses on 2 occassions. The lack of a room safe and small fridge were things that would have been nice.

Hope you find this review useful. One thing about NYC is multiple hotel choices that can be a little overwhelming when choosing. Enjoy the city - we did!

Room Tip: LOL, contact all guests on your floor to close their doors quietly.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple