“Nice hotel...”

Ranked #235 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Long Island, NY
“Nice hotel...”
Reviewed 26 November 2009

this isnt your usual Hampton Inn hotel, its small and next to 2 other hotels an the rooms are clean and nice but small. But who cares!! We arent here to live permenantly in these rooms, its clean, very modern bathroom, no tub and nice view(depends which room you get). I will stay here again!!

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (367)
  • Arabic first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Oakland, CA
Reviewed 25 November 2009

I stayed at this property for a couple of nights last week on a business trip. I liked it a lot. Very clean, efficient, friendly place. The front desk staff was very helpful in various ways, including calling my room five minutes after I checked in just to make sure everything was in order and providing good recommendations for nearby places to eat, including a great neighborhood Italian place just a block away on 38th St. It includes in-room coffee and maker and a basic but certainly adequate buffet breakfast downstairs in a couple of basic but certainly adequate rooms. The business center consists of three computer terminals and printers with good high-speed Internet connections. Also, free internet access in the room, though I didn't use it.

If you get a high enough room, you get a bit of a view.

Another thing that impressed me is that it's pretty quiet. While passing by in the hallway I could pretty clearly hear a couple and their child through the door in the room next to me. But once I entered my room I could not hear them at all, which would seem to indicate pretty thick and/or well insulated walls.

As others have noted, only six rooms to a floor in this fairly tall (30+ stories), thin building.

I usually stay at nicer places for work and play, so was prepared to (of course unfairly) be snobby about this one. But taking into account its reasonable price in expensive Manhattan, I highly recommend it..

I give it an Excellent rating, but still note a few things visitors should keep in mind. First, the rooms are small, though certainly comfortable. Second, while the overall location a few blocks from Times Square is fine and safe, the block the Hampton is on is not the most attractive street in NYC, what with few nice commercial establishments, trash bags stacked out in the streets (including one evening in front of the hotel), etc. Finally, no safes in the rooms. I understand the lack of them, given this is a budget hotel, but as someone who travels with a laptop this still might make me hesitate before staying there again.

Otherwise, it was great. I highly recommend it.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled on business
upstate new york
Reviewed 15 November 2009

I got an excellent price at this new hotel very near times square. The street is in transition, but completely safe. The hotel is a narrow high rise with just 6 rooms on each floor. While it is a hampton with no in-house restaurant, they have a nice free breakfast and they provided me with several menus of area restaurants that deliver. The woman at the front desk was delightful and I observed much careful cleaning by staff in the lobby. The room was new, well-lit, comfortable, quiet, and had a nice high def LG flatscreen tv. There are a few amenities you do not get at this price point (refrigerator, room service, pay per view movies, etc.), but for my purposes this was a great deal and a comfortable, clean, quiet room in a great convenient times square location.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled on business
Tacoma, WA
Reviewed 31 October 2009

Walking distance to all mid-town attractions (Times Square, Rockefeller Center, Central Park, Empire State Building, Broadway Theaters and more), and subway entrance one block away.

To get to the hotel from JFK we took the AirTrain to Jamaica Station then took LIRR from Jamaica station heading to New York City / Penn Station. (You can take the subway but takes over 30 minutes longer.) From Penn Station exit out the W 34th St toward 8th Ave. and walk up 8th Ave the five blocks to W 39th St. Took us about 10 minutes to walk to the hotel, all in all it was exactly one hour from when we got our bags at baggage claim to arrival at the hotel.

The Front Desk staff was excellent at check-in, and later when we asked for recommendations for a restaurant nearby they recommended the Carbone Ristorante just around the block from the hotel. This is a very good, family owned, Italian restaurant, very small, only about six tables and bar but the food was fantastic (highly recommend their pizza’s).
Room staff was also great, gave us extra coffee packages when we asked for them, and room was always clean when we got back from sightseeing.

The hotel rooms are small but clean and quiet. The Tassimo One Cup Coffee Makers in the rooms make great coffee, our room did not have a bath tub, which we would have liked, but there was nothing wrong with the shower. Our room was on the 11th floor and did not face the street; it was very quiet, with no street noise at all.

The breakfast is included in the room rate, buffet style, choice of cold cereal, scrambled eggs, sausage, oatmeal, bagels, toast, coffee, you get the idea, nothing to brag about but nothing wrong with it either.

The location and affordable price are two of the best reason to stay at this hotel, it like 6 blocks from everything!

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
england
Reviewed 16 October 2009

Stayed here for 3 nights early october, room was small but very clean with every thing we needed (we are not living there). Not the best area but not to bad if you turn left on exiting hotel and go via 8th ave. 9th does seem a bit seedy between 37th and 41st street. We had a great time, breakfast is good and will set you up for the day. Do your homework as price can vary check, all sites pricing seems to be going up the longer its open. Business center was vary useful but does get hot (they turn air-con off stops you staying in there to long ).

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 9 October 2009

The Hampton Inn Time Square South is located relatively good and you will find many of the places in a walking distance. We were staying in a double bed room on a high floor (26th) with a great view to a brick wall (i wouldn't imagine they have anything better). The room was very small and it was very hard to handle the stroller for our baby, introducing the crib into the room made moving in the room impossible. The room was clean as expected from hampton network, nothing extra ordinary, the showers were also very small but clean. The service in the hotel is the real disappointment, you couldn't put a smile on the front desk people even if you told them they won the lottery, grim faced and always giving you the feeling that they are doing you a favor for every service they give you.
The hotel supposedly has a free wireless connection to all guests but in our room the connectivity was impossible, only when we went out to the elevators it came back.
The rooms are also very expensive and i thought i would get better return for the money i spent (354$/night)
I would not recommend staying in this hotel unless you get a deal you cannot refuse. There is a hotel boom in NYC for a while now, and you will find a better hotel with little effort.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank Sivan L
Eris0303
Reviewed 8 October 2009

I stayed at the Hampton Inn Times Square South from 10/1/09-10/4/09 and I had a very enjoyable stay. The area is not "bad" as other posters have stated. It's a city street no different than many other city streets. If you've never been on a street in a city such as New York it might seem daunting. But it's as safe as you make it safe. Be aware of your surroundings and know where you're going. People who look clueless or lost are targets. So even if you don't know where you're going - fake it. Attitude is everything. Remember, any place can be "dangerous" from the cleanest suburban neighborhood to the dirtiest city street. The hotel is situated between 8th and 9th Avenues (though is closer to 9th) and both avenues are fairly busy.

You're only a few blocks from the theatre district which made the hotel perfect for me. While in town I took in a production of "Bye Bye Birdie" at the Henry Miller Theatre (on 43rd Street between Broadway & 6th Avenue). A very quick walk from my hotel. The staff was helpful and courteous and I have no complaints about them. Whenever I stay in a hotel I put the "do not disturb" sign on my door to keep out the hotel staff. I don't need my bed made every day and don't accumulate much trash during a short stay. While the Hilton Family of hotels is quite reputable I'm not sure the temptation to go through someone's belongings or swipe something would never occur to one of their employees. Temptation is always around. Especially when there's a laptop and an ipod in the room. So, I just have them stay out of my room. They can clean it once I'm gone.

I highly recommend this hotel. Only six blocks up from Penn Station and a few blocks down from the theatre district. Not many taxis come down 39th Street but one can be easily hailed at either 8th or 9th Avenues (though if you're going uptown it's better to hail one on 8th). If you're uncomfortable with the thought of hailing a cab just ask the front desk for help. I never had to do this but I don't see why it would be a problem. The only time I used a cab was when I went to the Lincoln Center (in the 60's). I walked everywhere else. Walking can be a real treat because you never know who you'll see. During my stay I saw four Broadway actors just walking down the street - one of whom was Dustin Hoffman.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled solo