“Great staff, couldn't have been more helpful”

Distrikt Hotel New York City
Ranked #72 of 469 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 10 July 2014

Just back in the UK after a great trip to the USA

I can't say enough about how helpful the staff at the Distrikt were during our four nights in Manhattan.

Their local knowledge was unsurpassed and helped us in restaurant choices and also getting last minute tickets on Broadway.

From the moment we arrived Manny took really good care of us and made us feel very welcome in the heart of the big city. Nisha (apologies if that's not the correct spelling) on the front desk managed to get us a restaurant booking last thing at night and generally all of the staff went that extra mile to make sure everything went smoothly.

The location of the hotel was perfect for what we were trying to do with pretty much everything we wanted within walking distance. The free tapas provided between five and seven was a really nice touch and ideal if you wanted to watch the World Cup in the bar.

Will definitely be back

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 9 July 2014 via mobile

stayed here when I went to westminster dog show. wanted something close but not too close. worried a little about the location but it was not a problem. staff is very friendly and bent over backwards to make my stay pleasant. the lobby is not much and didn't eat in the restaurant but the room was nice and comfortable. tried a lot of other hotels in New York and I think this one will stick. best hotel in NYC for the money that I've stayed in so far. will be my go to hotel from now on.

Stayed: February 2014
Reviewed 9 July 2014

I stayed here for just one night whilst transiting through NY at the end of a holiday - and having spent 8 days staying down in Soho at the start of my vacation.
I wanted somewhere reasonably priced (for NY...), comfortable & in a good location for last minute shopping & being in the thick of it all.

I had a Grandview King on the 24th floor - decent view & a really nice comfortable room.
I wouldn't want a smaller room than this but it was a well thought-out room - if perhaps a touch light on closet space.
The only thing I could fault is the bar fridge which you cannot take anything out of... or you will be charged for it (as I like to go & grab some juice or other drinks from a corner store).

I must say the staff here were exceptional.
Every single person I dealt with here was extremely professional, friendly & took a genuine interest in me & my stay here.
I just stayed in a boutique hotel in Washington with staff who were not that great - it was thus a really nice change to stay in a hotel where the staff all gave me the impression that they really loved coming to work.
I can be a harsh critic - only praise for the team here.

If you are only in NY for a few nights & want something in a good location & close to some good local dining then I would definitely recommend this place.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank WalterBW
Reviewed 8 July 2014

We booked this hotel based on the reviews here on Tripadvisor and I am so glad we did. We spent 8 nights here 6/25-7/3. The location is perfect--just a short walk to Time Square and only 1 1/2 blocks to the 7th Ave subway. The rooms are nicely furnished and well maintained. The bathroom was extremely nice. Huge shower!! The bed was very comfortable and it was very quiet, so we slept well. I mean, really--no noise! Not one peep from another room and no street noise. The staff is exceptionally nice and very attentive. I would stay here again in a heartbeat. Great hotel!!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jkoo99
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Stayed here 2 years ago and the cleanliness and room standards are the same, but the customer service levels seem to have dropped dramatically.
The rooms are a good size for a city hotel, they have everything you could need and premium products in the bathrooms.
We were on the 7th floor and construction work was going on, we were not informed of this when we booked. The noise was terrible and we couldn't relax in our room the noise carried on till around 5ish. On our way out I asked at the desk if the construction would carry on in the morning and basically got told that it wouldn't wake me up until 9am, no apologies no suggestion of moving me room nothing, just that I would get woken around 9. Really poor service an apology would of gone a long way.
When we checked out we didn't get asked how are stay was or thanked.
The service was great not so long ago what happened? Maybe my expectations were too high?

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
6  Thank AmyPenno
Reviewed 8 July 2014

What a great find. From the moment we arrived, late care of Amtrak, the stake were very friendly and helpful. My wife and I booked room only as the hotel is so centrally positioned we were able to try a host of diners and restaurants nearby. Room on 26th floor had great view of Empire State and Hudson River and was spacious and very comfortable. Only negative, and a minor one, was the noisy AC. Thoroughly recommend for any visit to NY.

Room Tip: Get a room on higher level for good views
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank WorcesterBunny1
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Myself and my partner travelled to NYC to get married in June 14. We travelled as a group of 14, all of us staying at the Distrikt Hotel. There really are no faults with the hotel, it is clean and tidy, trendy and relaxed. The staff are all so friendly and polite, always smiling and interested in chatting about your day etc. All of the reception staff are friendly and the bar-man (sorry I can't remember his name) was also really cool.

Cara (Sales and Social Media Co-ordinator) at the hotel, really was truely fantastic, we liaised with her for months via e-mail beforehand about the wedding arrangements, as we had asked her to arrange drinks for us and our group on our wedding day in the bar, to deliver a copy of the NY times to our guests rooms on the wedding day, and for various other things, and she couldn't have been more accommodating. She gave us lots of tips, advice and recommendations as we had not been to NYC before, which was so helpful. We changed our minds about drinks on the wedding day (i.e. we had initially planned to have bottles delivered to our guests rooms, but we then decided to all meet in the bar and have drinks), and Cara actually ensured that there was a member of staff on the bar to serve us even though I believe the bar wouldn't have been open/staffed at this time of the day. This was all so kind and she even came and met us all, and took photos of us and our guests. She also had strawberries and a chocolate swirl saying "congratulations" on a plate holding the strawberries to go with out fizz, lovely touches and much appreciated on our big day.

There really was nothing to complain about here. The rooms are great (and quiet), shower is spacious, air con was fab and our room was cleaned every day. The beds are very comfortable too. The location of the hotel is close to times square and we pretty much walked everywhere so didn't actually use a yellow cab!! The location is also near the city port bus terminal which was handy as we went to New Jersey for shopping which was easy via bus, 30-minutes. I believe the hotel does serve breakfast but we ate out every morning so I can't comment on that, we just liked to be out and about. I am sure it would have been fine. The tea/coffee machines in the rooms are great and they re-stocked us every day, plus a couple of compliemntary chocolates or a brownies.

There is always a fresh drink available at reception (complimentary) as you go out or come into the hotel which was a nice touch, we just tended to grab a cold drink before leaving everyday as the weather was hot as soon as we walked outside, which was fab. The hotel is always cool inside and refreshing after a hot day in the heat.

The free Wifi in the hotel was brilliant, it worked wherever you are in the hotel, in your rooms, in reception and in the bar. This was really hand for all of us.

All in all, I would definitely stay here again, the place is neatly tucked away but is a little gem. The staff are all brilliant, really couldn't have asked for more. A tip for anyone who likes a cool bar, try the Skybar a couple of hotels down, that was a fantastic place to go with amazing views over NYC!!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends