“Hidden Gem” 5 of 5 bubbles

Chic&Budget New York
Brisbane, Australia
“Hidden Gem”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 November 2012

I too can't speak highly enough of Bert.

Great welcome as soon as we pulled up in Town Car out the front.

Had downstairs garden apartment and found it to be warm, clean and spacious with own private bathroom.

Kitchen facilities upstairs great of making toast and coffee - you could cook, but hey your in New York so explore!

Short walk to subway and plenty of local stores to buy milk and snacks.

Would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank GwendaM2012

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Chicago, IL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 September 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Chic & Budget Garden Apartment 127 for three nights this past weekend. Like the other reviews here have noted, Bert is absolutely great! He spent quite a bit of time talking to us at check in, explaining the subway system, recommending restaurants and attractions, etc. Likewise, when we checked out, we talked with him extensively about our trip and he even shared some accounts of his own travels. He was so kind and thoughtful, and even offered to give us a lift in the direction he was heading.

The quality of the apartment went above our expectations. It is a garden apartment, yet it is still above ground and there wasn't any issue with noise for us. The bedroom area is closest to the courtyard in the back so we were not right off the street at night. Features included hardwood flooring, two couches and a chair in the living area, a fireplace, sleek appliances in the kitchen, built in cabinetry in the bedroom area, recessed lighting, and two different tables for eating and/or trip planning.

Like other posters here have noted, the neighborhood takes getting used to at first, but some of the nicest people we met on the trip were here in Harlem. It is a very diverse area, and I’m glad we were able to explore it. However, some people who are not from or have visited a major city might be uncomfortable with the cosmetic details. (trash on streets at night, some unusual smells, a small amount of graffiti a couple streets over, police patrolling at night - all typical “city” occurrences)

Another perk of the location is the proximity to the subway- It’s only a 5 minute walk, not even, to the green line. Harlem/125th St is an express stop as well, so a trip downtown might take 10-15 minutes tops. There is a local convenience store by the subway which we went to for drinks and snacks. Yankee Stadium is maybe a 5 minute trip on the train, if that.

A tip for visitors booking Apt 127: Take the M60 bus from LaGuardia Airport. Only $2.25 and it drops you a block or two away from the building. Also, get on the M60 at the Harlem/125th St stop and head west for 10 minutes, get off around Colombia University and you can find “Tom’s Restaurant” from Seinfeld. Food was tasty and service fast.

My only (minor) complaint would be that there aren’t really any photos of our apartment on the main website. And it’s stunning! We will definitely come back to Chic & Budget on our next NYC visit. Skip over the cramped, overpriced, questionable hotels for this awesome find. It truly felt like home.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Sasha920
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2012

Bert was incredible. Knowledgeable, charming, kind and very accomodating. I stayed here and thought the location superb, so close to the subway and then on the express downtown route too. There is a huge supermarket nearby as well as most other things you might need! All in all, I couldnt fault this - excelelnt value for NYC, great location, so professional to deal with.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank SarahB186338
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2012

I have recently returned from my 3rd stay at Chic n Budget NYC. My 1st stay was in Apartment 132 and the last 2 were at the 127 Guest House. My 1st stay at 127 was in the Double Room and on my last trip I was in the Master Room. All were very clean and comfortable. Bert is a very helpful guy and goes out of his way to assist you to make the most of Harlem and the rest of NYC. The locations are not 5th Ave but the value for money is exceptional. I do not hesitate to recommend C n B to all travelers who have a sense of adventure but want to be comfortable whilst resting and relaxing. Ross

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Ross_the_traveller
Melbourne
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2012

My partner and I stayed at Chic&Budget for 2 weeks in June 2009. Hosts were friendly, helpful and had heaps of local knowledge. We had the large parlour room on the main floor overlooking the back garden. It was spacious, comfortable and very clean and the room was just as pictured in their web advertisments. The other guests like us spent most of the time out and about so we barely saw the them. The property was peaceful and located in a safe neighbourhood. We had no problems using the subway every day and returning to the house late at night. We tried to book there in March for our June 2012 trip but unfortunately there were no rooms available for our entire 2 week trip. Instead we booked one of those NYC rental properties that are advertised on Tripadvisor, turned out to be a holiday nightmare, on arriving in NYC we ended up with nowhere to stay and lost AU$2370, not the way I imagined starting our holiday (yes, those rental scams are real and should be avoided, we're still trying to get a refund via our credit card company). No problems what so ever with Chic&Budget, the stay was enjoyable and we would stay there again, just need to book early next time.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Donna W
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2012

I am a college student which usually means money is extremely tight. NYC is already expensive in many areas, but I was lucky to find this cute guesthouse. I have stayed here twice and it has been a great stay both times I must say. I believe I have stayed here about three to four nights both times I have stayed. First time was Oct 2011 and second was June 2012.

I stayed in Harlem Room standard 127 I believe. I was slightly intimidated at first because Harlem has it's reputation, but the people are friendly and if anything, they simply look at you if you are a tourist and continue their day.

This place was perfect because the bed is a comfortable double bed that could actually fit three people if I needed it and there is also a couch by the window that can also be used as a bed. A television set at the front with a spacious closet with hangers and a blow dryer. I definitely put them to use. The bathroom has a window to air it out and a mirror with a cabinet behind it. There is a small sink that was useful and of course the toilet and soothing warm shower.

Towels are provided with a tub mat for those of you who tend to slip in the shower. No room service which is perfect because I like knowing that my things are secured with no one touching them. Be sure to bring your own toiletries because towels is all that is provided.

On each side of the giant bed is a lamp for each person with a night stand. There are plenty of outlets to charge up whatever is needed.

The location is convenient because there is a metro entrance a couple blocks from it. I stopped by the dunkin donuts by the metro to pick up a donut and coffee to rush to wherever it was I was going. After a long night McDonalds stays open quite late as well as a small pizza joint that I tried in October and there is also an Ihop in the area open 24 hours in case you haven't found a bite to eat before you came back.

I walked by a Jazz museum every morning that I never went to, but wish I did because I love jazz. If you have time, you can stop by the place and look around.

Aside from an awesome bedroom, there is a set of spiral stairs that will lead you down to the kitchen with a stove, oven, fridge, sink, and I believe there was a dishwasher. Label your things and don't forget to take them with you for there are usually other people staying here.

Across from the intimate kitchen is a medium sized table with about 6 chairs that can be used as a study place and what not. I didn't use the area much because I was always out eating and preferred staying in the comfy bed when I returned. It is safe and the man will help you figure out which key goes to where. There are three doors that you mustn't forget to lock.

Other then that, enjoy your stay in Harlem, NYC! Highly recommended. Hope this was helpful!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
4 Thank Groot V
Munich, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2012

Our stay in the CHIC & BUDGET was really great.

The rooms were very clean, the bed was super comfortable, the kitchen was well equiped.
Bert was really helpful and gave us great tips. We could even use his cellphone.

The atmopshere was familiar and the price was also good.

The location was ok, we had to walk 10 minutes to the next metro station. The area seemed really safe, we never felt unsafe.

Will stay there again, should I visit Nex York again.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple