“Another Great Meal!”
Review of The Capital Grille

The Capital Grille
Reserve with OpenTable
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #92 of 13,748 Restaurants in New York City
Price range: US$20 - US$80
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Good for: Romantic, Groups, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Bar Scene
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighbourhood: Midtown
Description: Within the hallowed walls of the Time-Life Building, and surrounded by some of the city’s most heralded attractions from Broadway to Radio City Music Hall, the imminent arrival of The Capital Grille is creating quite a stir of its own. Especially anticipated are our legendary dry-aged steaks, fresh seafood offerings, and a widely heralded collection of over 7,000 bottles of wine. All presented with unparalleled service in an atmosphere of relaxed elegance that serves as a respite to the frenetic pace of the streets outside.
NC
“Another Great Meal!”
Reviewed 18 May 2012

This past Christmas we decided to give our adult daughters a trip to NYC for their present. We took the trip in May. I wanted to take them out for a nice meal so we picked the Capital Grille- again. My husband and I celebrated our anniversary there in September and it was wonderful. I know, with all the restaurants in NYC why would someone go to the same place again. Well, because, it is THAT GOOD! Both of my girls had filet oscar and I had the best lamb chops. Our server, Naimi, was great and was attentive without being obtrusive. I appreciated the manager coming by to check on us as well. We stuffed ourselves during dinner and Naimi packed our dessert to go. I love the atmosphere-tables are far enough apart where you can have a decent conversation. Alot of the places we've been to in NY the tables are barely a foot apart. Dress is business casual. Service is friendly and professional. And YES, when we return to NYC, I will eat there again!

• Visited May 2012
3 Thank AB31

• Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Brooklyn, New York
“Meant for a special meal”
Reviewed 15 May 2012

This is a very high end restaurant. Everything we had from the appetizers, drinks to dinner and desserts were top notch. Just be sure to bring your credit card. Their seafood tower is amazing.

4 Thank GinaS13
Wisconsin
“Excellent food, outstanding service and they treated our birthday girl like a Queen!”
Reviewed 14 May 2012

I booked a reservation at this restaurant for a trip to NYC for my daughter's birthday. I booked the reservation on their website and mentioned that it was our daughter's birthday and that we were going to NYC, their restaurant and a Broadway show to celebrate. The four of us walked in the front tour and were greeted by the people at the front desk. They found our reservation and then took us to a comfortable booth. The restaurant is decorated like a Gentleman's Club. Dark colors, some stuffed animal mounts on the walls. Done tastefully, but it could turn off some people. Didn't bother us, as my husband is a hunter. When we got to the table, my daughter noticed an envelope with her name on it. It was a birthday card from the restaurant and they had birthday confetti all over the middle of the table. She was very happy! The waitress came and wished her a Happy Birthday. I wish I could remember her name, because this waitress was top notch, from start to finish. Very professional, yet very warm and engaging. Our first task was to select a good wine. They have an extensive list of wines and you can find anything from a cheap wine to an outstanding wine. We chose somewhere in the middle and were very happy. It was a Ferrari-Carano 2010 Chardonnay. After that, we went down to Kendal Jackson, which was still fine. At this restaurant you choose your main course and then the sides are ala carte, so you can choose one and it will be enough of a side, for 4 people. I had their Lobster Bisque and everyone at the table sampled it and loved it! My daughter and husband shared 6 oysters and loved them. For our main meal, my Mother In Law and I shared, what was suppose to be 5 large scallops, but since we were sharing, they gave us each three. They were outstanding and had a bit of spice to them. My daughter had Filet Oscar and she loved it. I tried the steak and it was perfectly cooked. She asked for it medium and it was exactly right. The waitress explained what Their rare, medium rare and medium would be like and that helped a lot. Her steak was so good, that it didn't need the lump crab on top. My husband had the lamb chops and he said they were the best he's ever had and he travels and eats out a lot. Our sides were asparagus and mashed potatoes, which were heavenly. For dessert, three of us shared Fresh Berries in Vanilla Creme and they were outstanding. My daughter had Creme Brûlée and it was the best I've ever tasted. I usually don't care for Creme Brûlée, but this was perfect. The waitress came and took a picture of us, with their camera and came back with it in frame for us. It was just such a special night and the meal and service was perfect. It was so good, that my husband didn't complain about the bill. It's a pricey place, but we don't mind if the food and service are good. Great for a special date or occasion. We ate here, before walking down the street to the Gershwin Theater to see Wicked. Just an excellent night all around!

• Visited May 2012
3 Thank Lislcat
New York City, New York
“Unprofessional service. All three filet mignons were ordered medium rare and served well done. Served raw lobster tail.”
Reviewed 13 May 2012

Nothing special and horribly overpriced. The server was either inexperienced or medicated. The wine and lobster macaroni and cheese was good, other than that a terrible experience. All three of us didn't eat our dinners and had a $200 bill. Waste of money and a night out.

Richmond, VA
“An unusual disappointment”
Reviewed 10 May 2012

My wife's medium steak was rare, and my rare steak was medium, inexcusable when charging over $45 for entrees. There was also an unexplained lag in service once our meals were finished.

• Visited April 2012