“Comfortable place or stay on a budget”
Review of La Sienna

La Sienna
Reviewed 3 May 2014

La Sienna was a perfectly nice place to stay while visiting New York. We stayed for a week and encountered few problems, besides a few incidents where the owner forgot a couple of things when we first checked in. The shared bathroom wasn't really an issue at all, and location-wise it couldn't be easier to get to both central Manhattan and JFK. Overall a good stay.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Rachel H

Reviewed 29 April 2014 via mobile

It is cheap and little clean, BUT I WON'T RISK MY LIFE TO SAVE LITTLE MONEY!%! lots of homeless people around the area, asking for change or $.building owner did get in my room and clean while I was out.yes, without my permission.pay a just little more stay in a better place.more secured. THIS NEIGHBORHOOD IS GHETTO

• Stayed: July 2013
8  Thank habar h
Gingerbread241, Owner at La Sienna, responded to this reviewResponded 23 May 2014

I checked my records and have no such person who stayed here.

Reviewed 25 April 2014

Great experience, for place, hospitality and privacy. Cozy bedroom with a bed very confortable (I slept very well...) and bathroom perfectly cleaned (better than an hotel). Last but not least: I met a wonderful dog!
Yvette is a perfect host.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank dadada d
Reviewed 16 April 2014

This place was perfect. They have got a great recipe for a guest house in New York. It was a pleasure to stay, and if we ever visit NY again, we will 100% be coming back. Absolutely immaculate bathroom, kitchen was always spotless. Great coffee available for breakfast. The bed was very comfortable and smelt of fabric conditioner. Very nice place to stay I cannot recommend it highly enough!!!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Meggancaddey
Reviewed 10 April 2014

This cute place is well put together. The owner is always on-site and available. Very friendly and kept up with my friend and I while we stayed.

It's a low-cost option in a part of town that is being gentrified. I'm a sturdy guy and felt comfortable walking around the area, but wouldn't recommend a solo, late-night stroll to a girl from out of the area.

I think I had the smallest room and could comfortably drop my two bags on the floor and operate fine.

Best part is the owner's suggestions of places to eat around town. My friend and I went everywhere she recommended and weren't let down once.

I'd recommend it to safe travelers on a budget. Wouldn't recommend it to party-animals who walk home wasted in the wee hours of the morning.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
5  Thank rCinema
Reviewed 19 March 2014

La Sienna was an absolutely fantastic place to stay and I recommend it to everyone. Yvette and Carlos were wonderful and kind hosts, and were nothing but lovely to us during our stay. My husband and I stayed for 2 weeks between Christmas and New Years, and we loved it so much that we came back to stay again later in January on our way home. We actually got married in New York, and when we mentioned this to Yvette she went out of her way to buy us a delicious wedding cake and cake topper! This is only one of the many kindnesses that she did for us over our stay and we could not be more grateful.

As for the location, it was so easy to get everywhere. Around the corner is the subway, which has an express line to take you into the city. I think it only took around 10 mins to get to places around Times Square. Harlem is absolutely fine. We felt no danger there at all, and were walking around sometimes as late as 2am without feeling unsafe. It actually is a really good shopping area, we found some really good bargains in shops around there! Prime example is the $5 ice skates I bought from Morell's around the corner. SCORE.

Do yourself a favour and stay at La Sienna. You will save so much money compared to what you will pay staying closer to the touristy areas. The apartments are beautiful and comfortable, the location is fantastic, and the hosts are generous and kind. Writing this review is making me miss New York and La Sienna so badly and I will DEFINITELY be back to stay. Thank you Yvette and Carlos, if you ever read this!

Room Tip: We stayed in Apartment 1 on the first floor. It had a bed, bathroom and little kitchen. We also saw...