“Great lobby, great staff, rooms need more attention”

On the Hudson House
We can't find prices for this accommodation
On the Hudson House
Ranked #61 of 75 New York City B&B and Inns
la jolla
“Great lobby, great staff, rooms need more attention”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2011

Went to New York to see my son who recently began working in the city. The biggest asset of the hotel is their staff - everyone from the person in reservations to the employees who greet you at the entrance offering you bottles of water and canned champagne to those working the front desk and the concierge - the staff is incredibly friendly and make one feel welcome.

I take the elevator up to my room which is on the 20 something floor and here is where the experience lacks. The elevator door opens onto dark charcoal grey walls, the hallways are narrow and my room is at the end of the corridor. I enter my room and it is indeed "cozy" (I am glad I upgraded with additional 30 sq. ft). the room is tired - the handle on the door does not work properly, the bathroom tiles are chipped, the toilet paper holder is broken, there is a metal cabinet in the bathroom and the sink has metal legs which are all beginning to rust. In the bedroom the cabinet the television sits on is damaged - the drawer is broken and the panel that opens falls off, the phone receiver has something rattling inside and the television reception was poor, with only a few stations available.

So all in all - the common spaces are fun and full of energy. I think this is where the management decided to place the emphasis - the rooms look tired and don't seem to get much attention. And the elevators took several minutes to come when called - which was uncomfortable because, the corridors are small with very few people around - which gave me the creeps.

Next time I will come visit the very nice bars and enjoy all the friendly staff, but will stay at a different hotel.

Stayed July 2011, travelled with family

Harlem
Aloft Harlem
Aloft Harlem
#235 of 467 in New York City

Been to On the Hudson House? Share your experiences!